Eyes on the target the whole time?

I see some pitchers like Clemens and Schilling avert there eyes from the catchers glove for a second while there front leg lifts; this is before they break there hands and stride …

Other pitchers like Pedro and the Angels Ervin Santana never let there eyes leave the mitt…

For me… I find there’s an urge to look away for a second in order to take inventory of my mechanics, plus, it’s a little uncomfortable to have my haed locked over my left shoulder when I’m faceing the left field…

however…I do suspect that my control is improved if/when I keep my eyes on the mitt the whole time…

any thoughts? should I favor the better control over comfort?

[quote=“andrew.ra.”] I find there’s an urge to look away for a second in order to take inventory of my mechanics, [/quote]If you’re “taking inventory” of your mechanics during your pitch, you’ve lost mental focus on the task at hand. You should minimize the number of mechanical notes you are thinking about. Keep that for practice. Sure, it’s OK to have some, like tempo or finishing well but keep it simple. Your focus should be on issues like hitting your spots or putting together a smooth, unified delivery. The mental aspects are very important and there’s actually a forum on this site for that.

[quote=“andrew.ra.”]… it’s a little uncomfortable to have my haed locked over my left shoulder when I’m faceing the left field…[/quote]Facing left field!! Man, that’s too much counter-rotation. Most MLB pitchers will add a bit but what you’re describing is almost Nomo-esque.

I prefer this approach, especially for young pitchers who are still learning to focus.

Locking in on the glove is a good habit to develop.

The pros who do this succed despite doing this (it hurts far more people than it helps).

you’re right about me thinking about mechanics too much during the games … it’s a pitfall of mine…good advice…

but when you hit a rought patch, how can you not think of your mechanics … you gotta fix the problem and b/f you can fix it you gotta find it … it’s not like I have an expert pitching coach on the team…

Looking to Center field would be counter rotating … facing left field, that’s just positioning yourself at a 90 degree angle to the plate as you do when you come set in the stretch … nothing extreme about that…

The biggest thing you can do is lock in on the glove and let your body do the work.

Too often mechanical problems are the result of the conscious mind getting in the way of the body (and what it knows to do).

Focus on WHAT you want to do (e.g. the target) rather than HOW you want to do it (e.g. your mechanics).

[quote=“andrew.ra.”]For me… I find there’s an urge to look away for a second in order to take inventory of my mechanics, plus, it’s a little uncomfortable to have my haed locked over my left shoulder when I’m faceing the left field…

however…I do suspect that my control is improved if/when I keep my eyes on the mitt the whole time…

any thoughts? should I favor the better control over comfort?[/quote]

Ditto on the comments about just thinking about hitting your spot. It’s good to become aware of yourself so you can be your own pitching coach and make adjustments while on the mound. But too much of that can ruin any rhythm you have.

I say favor control over comfort because the comfort thing is really only a habit that can be overcome. You can get comfortable with not looking away. It just takes lots of reps.

Finally, understand that the eyes do take a certain amount of time to focus on an object. When you look away, you probably look at something that is a different distance away from you than is the catcher’s mitt. So, you eyes will have to adjust from the distance to the catcher’s mitt to the distance of what ever you look away to and then back to the distance to the catcher’s mitt. It’s not necessary.

great advice, guys