Extreme Workout

hey guys whats up.

I was wondering whether or not you could work the same muscle group in a row if you eat enough protein/drink enough water.

I was thinking of this:

Monday: upper body, leg strengthening
Tuesday: upper body
wednesday: upper body, leg strengthening
Thursday: upper body
Saturday: upper body, leg strengthening
Sunday: upper body

And when i say upper body i do not mean rotator cuff exercises. I mean heavy weights. Also i bench press(i don’t know why) but it really benefits me. Just something personall i guess. But ya is this workout possible just for the next 3 weeks. i really want to gain some serious muscle and put muscle mass. So ya by eating enough protein and drinking enough water could you work your upper body(same muscle groups) 6 times out of the week. Or do you need the right amount of rest. I know that you should have at least 24-48 hours of rest but ya is this workout possible.

I wouldn’t recomend it, but one thing you could do is have like 3-4 different workouts. One day work biceps and triceps, the next back and chest, another day shoulders and forearms, and the last day legs. Youcould split them up however you want, but this way you will be able to work each muscle group a lot, and you will see more gains. Instead of like one chest exercise, you could do three ar four.

okay dude thx.

Here is my current workout and exercises. What other exercises would help me put on muscle mass for my upper body. Like i said before i lift heavy with my upper body and i benefit from it.

Monday: upper body
tuesday: lower body and core
wednesday:upper body
thursday: lower body and core
friday: upper body
Saturday: lower body and core

Upper body exercises:
Bicep curls
tricep extensions(skull crushers)
barbell bench press
push ups
forearm curls
Dips

Lower body exercies:

Single leg Squats
calf raises
deadlift
leg extensions

As you can see i need some more leg exercises. But i do not have any machines thus making it hard to do leg exercises.

Also does anyone know any more exercises i could add in.

SQUAT. the single best exercise you can do.

ya dude i do single leg squats with dumbells, just because i have no one who can lift the weights over my head. But ya i do 80lbs per leg which is 160lbs normally. I want to get that to about 250lbs before the start of the season.

Lunges could really help.

hey should i do lunges with heavy weights or not?

How many reps and sets?

When i do lunges, i do them with dumbells in my hands at my sides. I usually do 3 sets of 10. With the weight find out what you can handle.

[quote=“baseballkid111”]okay dude thx.

Here is my current workout and exercises. What other exercises would help me put on muscle mass for my upper body. Like i said before i lift heavy with my upper body and i benefit from it.

Monday: upper body
tuesday: lower body and core
wednesday:upper body
thursday: lower body and core
friday: upper body
Saturday: lower body and core

Upper body exercises:
Bicep curls
tricep extensions(skull crushers)
barbell bench press
push ups
forearm curls
Dips

Lower body exercies:

Single leg Squats
calf raises
deadlift
leg extensions

As you can see i need some more leg exercises. But i do not have any machines thus making it hard to do leg exercises.

Also does anyone know any more exercises i could add in.[/quote]

a couple things jump out at me when I see this. First: you are lifting 7 days a week. I don’t care who you are, if you are lifting with proper intensity for solid one hour sessions there is no way you can recover from that (4 upper body workouts per week including back to back days??)

I know you think more must be better. I used to think the same thing. It’s not. 4 days a week is the sweet spot. Two upper and two lower body days is PLENTY. Trust me. When that tried and true split stops working for you, then go ahead and start experimenting with other splits.

the second thing that jumps out at me is that you have really no balance in your exercises or workout. They are just randomly thrown together movements that would make the typical “Bro” proud.

Let’s see what we’ve got. Keep in mind we’re looking for balance between opposing muscle groups. pushing vs. pulling, hip dominant vs. quad dominant movements. Also keep in mind we’re looking for primarily compound movements in the novice/intermediate lifter training for athletic performance. Isolation movements such as a bicep curl generally have less functional carryover to any kind of real world activity in addition to having far less bang for your buck than compound movements (movements taking place over two or more joints).

Bicep curls (isolation bicep)
tricep extensions(skull crushers) (isolation tricep)
barbell bench press (compound push)
push ups (compound push)
forearm curls (isolation wrist flexors)
Dips (compound push)

A balanced training program for your upper body would contrast horizontal pushing (bench and pushups) with horizontal pulling (inverted rows, dumbbell rows, cable rows), vertical pushing (incline DB press) with vertical pulling (chinups, pullups)

And I’m not even going to get into the medball throws, core work, warm up, foam rolling and stretching you should/could be doing.

here’s a sample workout using my trainer, Nick T.'s 5,4,3,2,1 template.

5 sets of power exercises
4sets of strength exercises
3 sets of hypertrophy exercises
2 sets of prehab exercises
1 set of conditioning/finisher

1. 5x4-6 of a few medball rotational exercises

2. a. 4x6-8 Incline Dumbbell Bench Press
    b. 4x6-8 Weighted Chinups

3. a. 3x10-12 Band Pushups
    b. 3x10-12 Dumbbell Row

4. a. 2x15 band shoulder external rotations
    b. core stabilization http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ImRdDW__gg&feature=player_embedded

5. sledgehammer tire swings x60 sec/side

for some, doing your max effort pushes and pulls in the same superset is too much, so you could instead combine your low rep push with your high rep pull and vice versa. That way, you can really focus on the strength exercise. But it’s really based on preference.

I’m only writing this much because you seem(ed) convinced that this program you wrote up was “perfect.” I wish someone had kicked me in the pants back when I thought the same thing about my hastily thrown together set of exercises.

You need to do the following exercises:

1. Squat
  2. Row
  3. Deadlift
  4. Chin-Ups

And their varieties (single-leg squats, suitcase deadlifts, pull-ups, etc). If you aren’t doing at least those, your program is incomplete. Period.

lanky lefty that exercise i only wanted to do for 2 weeks. Usually i do this:

Monday: Lower body
tuesday: Upper body
wednesday: lower body
thursday: upper body
friday: lower body
Saturday: upper body
Sunday: rest sometimes

Also i do core exercises monday to friday every day. I also do rotator cuff exercises as well as plyometric exercises for my legs. I do about 6 plyometric exercises for my legs so i will be explosive. This is what i do regualarly.

[quote=“baseballkid111”]lanky lefty that exercise i only wanted to do for 2 weeks. Usually i do this:

Monday: Lower body
tuesday: Upper body
Saturday: upper body
Sunday: rest sometimes

Also i do core exercises monday to friday every day. I also do rotator cuff exercises as well as plyometric exercises for my legs. I do about 6 plyometric exercises for my legs so i will be explosive. This is what i do regualarly.[/quote]

what I wrote still applies.

Im on the football team to stay in shape and we go to the weight room 4 days a week after school.we do…

Upper Body-- Bench Press (4 sets of 10), close grip benching (3 sets of 20)----------- , curls (2 sets of 25), tricep extrensions (2 sets of 20), dips ( 2 sets of 30), push ups (4 sets of 25).

Lower Body-- Sit ups (4 sets of 50), leg press (2 sets of 20), calve extensions (2 sets of 20), Incline leg lifts (2 sets of 20), quad extensions ( 3 sets of 10), squats (2 sets of 10)------ ------.

Monday-- Upper Body
Tuesday-- Lower Body
Wedsnday-- Upper Body
Thursday-- lower Body

Make sure you include Ab work outs in both Upper and Lower Body.

Hope this workout plan helps, it sure did for me… i am a Freshman already throwing low 80’s and i gain some bulk and im hitting a good 365ft. for Hitting.

[quote=“YoungNolanRyan”]Im on the football team to stay in shape and we go to the weight room 4 days a week after school.we do…

Upper Body-- Bench Press (4 sets of 10), close grip benching (3 sets of 20)----------- , curls (2 sets of 25), tricep extrensions (2 sets of 20), dips ( 2 sets of 30), push ups (4 sets of 25).

Lower Body-- Sit ups (4 sets of 50), leg press (2 sets of 20), calve extensions (2 sets of 20), Incline leg lifts (2 sets of 20), quad extensions ( 3 sets of 10), squats (2 sets of 10)------ ------.

Monday-- Upper Body
Tuesday-- Lower Body
Wedsnday-- Upper Body
Thursday-- lower Body

Make sure you include Ab work outs in both Upper and Lower Body.

Hope this workout plan helps, it sure did for me… i am a Freshman already throwing low 80’s and i gain some bulk and im hitting a good 365ft. for Hitting.[/quote]

fundamentally this is not that different from what he said he was already doing. You’re still getting absolutely no pulling exercises (rows, chins, pullups). Amazes me that there are still some strength programs that use for their upper body days: 4 pushing exercises and two isolation exercises.

I guess there’s still the “only workout your beach muscles mentality.” Seriously though, no posterior chain dominant lower body lifts? Don’t even try to tell me that squats also hit the posterior chain given how much depth 99% of guys get.

Just because you are working out everyday doesnt mean you will get stronger and faster. You need to understand that your body strengthens when you’re resting not while you’re working out. That lifting program you are on now is useless. LankyLefty gave you great advice and that is a program you will see in college and beyond.

[quote=“LankyLefty”]fundamentally this is not that different from what he said he was already doing. You’re still getting absolutely no pulling exercises (rows, chins, pullups). Amazes me that there are still some strength programs that use for their upper body days: 4 pushing exercises and two isolation exercises.

I guess there’s still the “only workout your beach muscles mentality.” Seriously though, no posterior chain dominant lower body lifts? Don’t even try to tell me that squats also hit the posterior chain given how much depth 99% of guys get.[/quote]

Not to pick at nits, since you’re one of the few that “gets it” in this forum, but squats (particularly low-bar) do engage the posterior chain fairly well.

That said, of course I agree with you. :slight_smile: A pitcher’s workout should be programmed around pulling exercises.

Pardon my ignorance, guys, but are we talking “traditional” squats or machine squats? I’ve heard that traditional barbell squats are bad for the shoulders. Is that true? Likewise, I thought lunges are best done with dumbbells (which seems to be suggested throughout these forums).

Thanks, guys.

[quote=“kyleb”][quote=“LankyLefty”]fundamentally this is not that different from what he said he was already doing. You’re still getting absolutely no pulling exercises (rows, chins, pullups). Amazes me that there are still some strength programs that use for their upper body days: 4 pushing exercises and two isolation exercises.

I guess there’s still the “only workout your beach muscles mentality.” Seriously though, no posterior chain dominant lower body lifts? Don’t even try to tell me that squats also hit the posterior chain given how much depth 99% of guys get.[/quote]

Not to pick at nits, since you’re one of the few that “gets it” in this forum, but squats (particularly low-bar) do engage the posterior chain fairly well.

That said, of course I agree with you. :slight_smile: A pitcher’s workout should be programmed around pulling exercises.[/quote]

my point was that the 1/4 squats most guys do isn’t really enough to count squats as a posterior chain exercise. Even a full squat is, I would argue, quad dominant. Sure it hits the posterior chain, but it hits the quads more. He still needs to include posterior chain exercises in his program is all I was saying.

I would say that the front squat is quad-dominant, but the low-bar position definitely engages the posterior chain significantly and both the high-bar and low-bar variants are likely to be hamstring-dominant.

But yeah, he needs to pull more.

huskie18

I am not trying to be mean huskie18. But dude serioiusly. The program that i am on, I ADDED A FEW THINGS okay Lankly lefty.

Upper body:
Barbell bench press
bicep curls
skull crushers(triceps)
dips
pushups
chest flys
UPRIGHT ROWS
Forearm curls
Forearm twists

Lower body:
Squats
deadlift
calf raises
leg extensions

Honeslty huskie i am jacked to shit. LIke i have alot of muscle and you can’t say that working out every day won’t work. I workout every day but i do my exercises every other day. And it works. I workout 7 days a week. Sometimes 6 if i am super tired.

Monday: lower body
tuesday: upper body
saturday: upper body
sunday: lower body

I honestly do this every day. So ya i am really strong.
2 months ago when i hit 87mph all i was doing was deadlift and calf raises. And i only did them twice a week for 1 month. And i seen my fastball go from about 78-85mph. Average velocity to By the way.

I guess i might be different but lifting heavy for me just helps me out better in baseball.

I also added upright rows like lanky lefty said. I did get a row exercise in their. I also added chest flys. Just for me though.
If i only did calf raises and deadlift for 1 month twice a week. Just imagine what is going to happen when i do my workout for 8months. I am going to see huge strength gains. But i am also going to be explosive because i do plyometrics every other day and i work my core.

Lankly lefty too whats wrong with doing isolation exercises.
Whats the problem with me doing isolation exercises but as long as i am getting all the parts of my body. LIke i don`t understand.

I am getting all my legs and my back and my upper body. Even though i am doing isolation exercises i am still strengthening the different parts of my body aren`t I.

Also