Extra Movement on the 2-Seam

I’ve been throwing my 2 seam fastball in games more and i want to begin to get extra tail on it to make it a possible out pitch. Though I know, I’ll probably never get as much movement as him, I’d like to be able to use my 2 seam the way Bartolo Colon does (I;m right-handed as well), starting it away from off the plate and away from a right handed hitter, and tailing on to the outside corner.

I really don’t know how to do that, but I would take a guess that you could get some movement by keeping your two seam grip and getting some wrist action. Just a little bit, because you don’t want to start trying to throw crazy reversed slider fastballs. Careful with the elbow.
I really don’t know the answer to the question, I’m sure Steven or Coach Paul has better advice.

i started to message CoachPaul because he always seems to have the best advice when I post but I just made it open tovthe public to see if anyone else would post.

The biggest adjustment I made when I was in HS was learning to remove as much pressure from my grip as possible. I’m not sure of the science behind it, but I feel I get a higher spin rate on a ball when my grip is light. To some extent, I had to learn how to throw again. Once I reduced my grip pressure, my arm felt faster and the ball had more movement. Your arm slot also has something to do with the direction of ball movement. For me personally, a 3/4 slot gives great change up and 2 seam movement.

great advice from coach Paul. one little thing you can try is changing where you keep your thumb on the ball, moving it to the side and all in between for more lateral movement. underneath the ball is great for sink.

Good suggestions all around.

One thing I always did was throw the 2 seamer to the throwing arm side of the plate, and the 4 seamer to the glove side. (This works for lefties, too). Always felt this helped mentally reinforce getting “run” on balls thrown to the right side, and getting the ball to “back up” a bit to the left.

This was true for me as well. I always threw the 2 seam inside to righties and the 4 seamer away. I didn’t want the ball to break toward the barrel.

this is good advice. if your thumb is not under the ball, it can work against the break…