Extra! Extra! Football is bad for you!

http://www.cnn.com/2011/OPINION/01/25/pearlman.football.concussions/index.html

Interesting article.
I’ve never cared for football, even less now.
It makes sense though (why football is bad for you, there’s so much damage to your body).

Tom House advocates throwing a football though, because properly done it helps healthy baseball form. Football is just hard on the body, but so is hockey. It is a different kind of sport than baseball.

Many quarterbacks qho throw perfect spirals also have quite the slider. It turns out that throwing a football can help with your slider rotation. :smiley:

and possibly mess with your football action?

Sorry- can’t quite understand your comment there.
What did you mean- could you expound a little?

don’t want to start an argument or anything but i think football is just fine

Football players usually end up hurting themselves playing because of the high impact game that it is. That being said, the biggest issue with football/baseball players, when the baseball season comes around, you want to have a healthy amount of flexibility, not be musclebound.

This is certainly not even close to being the biggest issue with football/baseball players.

you can stay be flexible and play football i mean what are you gonna do in the baseball offseason? your not going to long toss everyday. it lets you be more athletic

Football players usually end up hurting themselves playing because of the high impact game that it is. That being said, the biggest issue with football/baseball players, when the baseball season comes around, you want to have a healthy amount of flexibility, not be musclebound.[/quote]

That’s a myth on both accounts, Being Muscle bound does not make you un-flexible and football players do not have abnormal amounts of muscle mass. At least the ones who aren’t on steroids

Most of your big linemen in football are built like hogs, it’s a fact they need that extra size and realistically even with hardcore bodybuilding muscle builds at a snail’s pace without the juice. Think American sumo wrestling but to a lesser extent

Sarg,
I played baseball with a guy who played D1 football at Baylor before transferring to my school, while he played football he was pretty big for his size and it effected his velocity. Now, he’s lost about 20 lbs, kept his body fat constant, and can throw a lot harder now. It is one of the issues, believe it or not.

I think basketball is really the best sport to play in the offseason, a little conditioning, more flexibility, and you can stay perfectly in shape for baseball season.