Explosive

Alright, so all over this and other websites I always read about how explosive strength is much more important than basic “weight room strength”. This seems to make sense, but I always like to do my own research, so i looked into it. I found that muscles are made up of two different types of muscle fibres. Fast twitch muscle fibers, which are used for short bursts of strength. The other is slow twitch muscle fibers, which dont have a very quick reaction time but can handle exertion for extended periods of time. In my research I came across an article saying that a marathon runners muscles will be made up predominately of slow twitch muscles. Where as a NFL running back will be made up of predominately fast twitch muscles.

So if I am understanding everything Ive read correctly, wouldnt it be best for pitches to do nothing but fast twitch exercises. Since all pitching is, is a short burst of energy for a couple seconds. If this is true then wouldnt distance running be virtually useless to a pitcher, except for maybe a distance run after pitching.

Well it was pretty much a roundabout way to get to it, but my question is about a supplement called “fast twitch”. It is made by Cytosport, the same people that make muscle milk. Claims that it helps build the fast twitch muscle fibres, which in turn i think would help pitching. Any opinions from someone who knows what they are talking about would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Forgot to post the link
Here it is
http://www.cytosport.com/Product.aspx?ProductID=4
Thanks

I can’t comment on the Cytosport but I will say that I suspect that developing fast twitch muscle fibers is good but not sufficient. Pitching involves a lot of rotational movements. If you don’t train accordingly, you won’t maximize your performance.

[quote=“808k”]Alright, so all over this and other websites I always read about how explosive strength is much more important than basic “weight room strength”. This seems to make sense, but I always like to do my own research, so i looked into it. I found that muscles are made up of two different types of muscle fibres. Fast twitch muscle fibers, which are used for short bursts of strength. The other is slow twitch muscle fibers, which dont have a very quick reaction time but can handle exertion for extended periods of time. In my research I came across an article saying that a marathon runners muscles will be made up predominately of slow twitch muscles. Where as a NFL running back will be made up of predominately fast twitch muscles.
[/quote]
Yup primarily right, however there is a potential limit to how much explosive strength you can add without also training your basic strength.

Yes, there is very little logic behind distance running for pitchers. Yes pitching is an explosive activity requiring fast and violent contractions, it is fast twitch muscle without a doubt.

[quote=“808k”]
Well it was pretty much a roundabout way to get to it, but my question is about a supplement called “fast twitch”. It is made by Cytosport, the same people that make muscle milk. Claims that it helps build the fast twitch muscle fibres, which in turn i think would help pitching. Any opinions from someone who knows what they are talking about would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks[/quote]

Let me begin with the biggest thing that needs to be understood about ALL supplements.
Supplements are exactly what the name implies.

They are progress enhancers, not progress creators. If you aren’t making progress without supplements you probably won’t make any with a supplement. However, should you be following a well designed program, eating well, and busting your but, they can definitely be beneficial.

All that being said, marketing brilliance really… basis in proven fact, kinda trails off after the second sentence. It looks pretty much like a creatine supplement with lots of other potentially beneficial stuff thrown in.

Let me just start off with that, a kilo of creatine monohydrate will run you a meager 15 bucks. That is enough to last you 8 months or more.

The creatine they use, Kre-Alkalyn has no research backing it up that it actually does anything, other creatine versions, more popular than Kre-Alkalyn have been proven to be useless. Creatine monohydrate is the one with all the research backing it.

The whole notion of boosting nitric oxide levels is sort of dumb in my opinion as well. The whole industry markets the heck out of it and there isn’t that much proving it does anything that I have seen. The stuff they do talk about with “NO” is the “pump.” That’s bodybuilding, athletes don’t need a pump, it doesn’t really do anything. It’s just a feeling of blood going through dialated veins. Although Arnold likened it to other “pleasure” lol.

I see other potential beneficial stuff in here but they seem that they would be in way to low of quantities to actually do anything. Because Cytosport is a big business company, they won’t actually tell you how much of each thing you are putting in your body.

Anyways, things like Taurine and L-Tyrosine can be great, but there is way to little of quantity for it to really do anything. Same with vitamin B-6 and B-12.

If you are interested in it on the notion it will somehow improve fast twitch muscle fibers separately, unfortunately I don’t see anything all that special occurring.

I think their are other supplements that money could be well spent on.

If you want to improve fast twitch muscle, intend to move an object as fast as you possibly can every time. Even if it is the most weight you can do for one rep (it appears to move very slowly), if you are intending to move it as fast as possible, you are activating your fast twitch muscle fibers.

The biggest thing I see is that most people can only activate about 50% of their motor units at one time. When you are doing training that actually hits fast twitch muscle (high load or high speed), you are improving your motor unit activation abilities as well. The biggest and most powerful muscles are hard to activate.
A trained athlete can improve this well into +75% with elite olympic lifters being at like 85-90% of total motor units being activated at once.
Now consider being able to activate more muscles to create force for rotation.

If one were to just train for improved fast twitch, and motor activation, I think they would come out ahead of the person just trying to improve their rotational force they can apply.
Just my opinion though.

However, definitely for the complete offseason, things must come full circle and you need to combine all elements.

I think for pitchers to forget about distance running is a huge mistake.

Although pitching is an explosive movement training your fast twitch muscles will not condition your body to throw over a hundred pitches. The wear of throwing these pitches over and over again, as well as sitting down in between innings can be better tolerated through good training in long distance running. Don’t let your adrenaline fool you, your legs will get tired throughout the course of the game, even if they don’t feel like it.

Not to mention long distance running is a great flush for not just the arm but other muscles in your body that might be sore. Distance running will also improve the efficiency of your body as well as the stability and balance. Certainly can’t hurt!

Pitching is anaerobic, long distance running is aerobic. The energy systems are completely different. Pitching endurance is more closely mimicked by High Intensity Interval Training (or HIIT) where you work at extreme effort for a shot period, rest, then go at it again.

If one were to just train for improved fast twitch, and motor activation, I think they would come out ahead of the person just trying to improve their rotational force they can apply.
Just my opinion though.[/quote]
I wasn’t suggesting rotational training instead of but rather in addition to fast twitch training. I think we’re on the same page. Of course, I’m definitely no expert on this stuff.

I understand that pitching is an explosive motion, that needs to explanation. But I also understand that every big league starter and professional starter does distance training. There certainly are reasons for it. Those guys throw over two hundred innings a year. This isn’t high school or college where you’d be lucky to throw a hundred innings. Those two hundred innings aren’t counting spring training or the possibility of playoffs. All I’m saying it’s a long season and it will wear on your body if your not in shape.

[quote=“Roger”]
I wasn’t suggesting rotational training instead of but rather in addition to fast twitch training. I think we’re on the same page. Of course, I’m definitely no expert on this stuff.[/quote]

Ah, I read into your post incorrectly to some degree.

I definitely agree, in addition, rotational training is important.

I have a tendency to become long winded for little reason.