Experimenting with Pitches

I was wondering if anybody had any new pitches they were experimenting with, or just new variations on old pitches. For example I have been experimenting with the gyro ball, which is essentially a fastball thrown like a football, and also a slider thrown with a screwball grip which gets a strange late rise. I throw both in games.
Just for fun does anyone else have any other experimental pitches?

Not sure of your age but will say this. Too many pitches can make you a jack of all trades but a master of none.

I want to see a video of the pitch that rises from overhand. Well, I guess many pics do rise, but it’s immediately after release and at lower velocities.

No I only have three pitches I really use, 2SFB, Slider, Gyro (essentially 4sfb)
Just for playing around though, does anyone have any?

Forget the Gyro, work on a real 4SFB and learn a good change up.

With all due respect 2022dad, it works very well for me because I can’t control my 4sfb very well but can control the gyro without really losing speed.
It’s really not a novelty pitch, it is something anyone can use as a fast ball with absolutely no drop. I also can throw two sliders.
But since you say a good change-up, what kind do find best? Circle or regular?

@pitcher1 nobody cares about your two sliders. That’s about as JV as it gets.

Really? would you like me to go into more detail?Alright, I’m just trying to keep my posts short.
My normal slider: It is a slurve with little downward action that cuts away from rightys and into lefties starting level with the batter. And going over the plate.
The second pitch is not really a slider, it uses a two seam grip and goes over the plate, it’s a bad slider but an efficient fastball, because my body is built to throw that pitch very well.
Maybe you didn’t know this, but it’s important to find pitches that work for you and it’s impossible to do so if you don’t throw many and try different ones. That’s how guys get stuck throwing pitches that never work.

Sounds like a bad curve and a bad 2 seam. A 2 seam shouldn’t resemble a slider. How old are you? I’m guessing you’re around 14 or 15. If so my advice to you would be command your fastball & changeup then work on a curve.

I find this reply interesting, and would like to know your basis?
To me, while a change up is a great pitch (my personal favorite), however, I don’t think discouraging a player from throwing another pitch they have mastered and and have a preference for is a good idea. I’m sure it’l help that it’s not too common. It everyone threw 4 Seam, change, wouldn’t it be a little too easy for the hitter?
I personally think throwing quirky pitches is good (well, okay; not bad) as long as a pitcher doesn’t take it out of hand and try to throw like 6 pitches.
This is unless the gyro has direct links to injury, although I have heard of none but obviously aren’t very qualified to make a statement on that.

Where do the best pitchers play? How many throw a Shuto or Gyro? There must be a reason you don’t see them.

Most MLB pitchers have mastered 3, and sometimes 4, pitches- a FB (4s, 2s, cutter, splitter). A CB- 12/6-1/7, slurve. A CU. Knucklers are a breed apart.

@Pitcher17 I completely understand what you are saying. I throw a two seam and not a four seam, so I use the same grip, for both pitches but just really use the fingers and wrist so that I can pinpoint my slider. I never throw the slurve/slider in games it’s just for practices, does that change anything?

I completely understand where you are coming from, actually if you look at the mechanics of the gyro and how it is thrown, it’s not much different from a fastball.

Also analysts have said that Pedro Martinez’s fastball was actually thrown like a gyro. I personally like it because I throw a 2-seam as main pitch and it uses the same grip more or less, to throw off batters. But I understand what you are saying.

[quote=“pitcher1, post:13, topic:18861, full:true”]
I completely understand where you are coming from, actually if you look at the mechanics of the gyro and how it is thrown, it’s not much different from a fastball. [/quote]

Either you don’t know how to throw a fastball, or you don’t know how to throw a Gyro.

“@Pitcher17 I completely understand what you are saying. I throw a two seam and not a four seam, so I use the same grip, for both pitches but just really use the fingers and wrist so that I can pinpoint my slider. I never throw the slurve/slider in games it’s just for practices, does that change anything?”

Still curious whether you are High School or Pre-High School. My son had a thing for learning multiple pitches when he was younger. At around age 13 he was working with a retired major league pitcher. Seemed every week my son had a new pitch he wanted him to watch. The guy finally told him if it took using a second set of fingers for signs he had too many pitches, told him to stick to basics & command before he moved on to anything else. Based on what you’ve suggested you throw, everything is a variation of a fastball. I would advise you to focus on commanding your fastball and a change of speed. Without offspeed pitches it’ll be difficult to find sucess.

I am high school, I only throw 3 pitches often. And mix in a 12-6 curve less than 5% of the time.

No I throw a gyro, if you watch the video it’s not a miracle weird pitch with insane break, it’s simply thrown like a football, which I throw it like, rather than a fastball, flicking the fingers down. With all due respect based on what you said, you could also then argue Pedro didn’t know how to throw a fastball then.

If you have an opportunity post some video (of yourself pitching). Several guys on this site can give you some good recommendations. I don’t want to discourage you from being inquisitive. Wanting to learn new things (new pitches) is not a bad thing but I think you may loose sight of what really matters. Most guys make it to the next level by working harder and being better, mastering their craft. A novality pitch isn’t going to be a substitute. By commanding your pitch I’m asking can you throw to both sides of the plate, up and down, curve for a strike or in the dirt depending on the situation? Are you tracking upward with your velocity. Are you average or below average now? Do you have a plan to get better? If a gyro is a comfortable pitch it may work for you although I’d be curious to see it for myself.