Ex-D1 Athlete Pitching Help

Hello ya’ll!

My name is Logan Slaughter. I am a college athlete who just left my football team, a D-1 program, to pursue baseball because I love the game and wanted to take my shot at it. I am experienced, having played a lot of travel ball in HS and being lightly recruited for college baseball, but my mechanics are a bit rusty now.

What changes would you guys make to my delivery? I feel I might be rushing my delivery to the plate first of all, which could be slowing down my ball some and causing my arm to rush to catch up to my body. Second, I am stepping across my body instead of driving my lead leg to the catcher. I need to drive it at home plate and not at what would be a right-handed batter.

Do you guys agree with these problems? What else should I change or adjust in my delivery, why should I do it, and how should I go about making the change?
Any help is appreciated! Thank you! :slight_smile:

Send me a note at www.ProfessorTennis.net and I’ll give you some advice based on physics. I’m a physics professor and former pro pitcher who now plays tennis and still throws hard for an old man.

What kind of velocity are you generating with current mechanics?

Right now Im riding mid 80s, but I know I still have a lot left in the tank. Feel Im losing a lot of potential velocity due to the current state of my mechanics. In high school I was consistently gunned on a Stalker at mid to high 80s and would touch low 90s in game on a warm day.

Running your video over and over in slow motion. Mechanics look pretty right on. I like your explosive delivery and as long as there is no command issues keep it up. You are leading with your hip well. This could be the reason you have not received a lot of feedback. Continue to work on long toss.

Please keep us updated on your progress.

How is the pitching coming along?

You don’t use your body mass wisely. You don’t utilize hip-rotation sufficiently as you throw across your body: lead foot landing too far to your right.

Hey ya’ll! So I have an update! Ive been trying to really attack the problem of me stepping across my body, and Ive got it solved! I will have new video to post of my current mechanics soon.

I am going to be playing summer ball with a team, and lucky for me one of the coaches has an in with a scout from the Cincinnati Reds. We have our first game this Sunday and its possible this scout may be in attendance to see me throw if he likes my film!

How would you have me use my body mass more wisely so that I can fine tune my mechanics?

Edit: My velocity at the moment is unknown, but in high school I rode mid to high 80s and touched 90 if conditions were favorable (hot, in-game adrenaline). So, my velocity measurements are essentially well-educated guesses or estimations.

Film from recent bullpen:

Feel free to provide input in any way! Im just trying to become the best pitcher I can be. I do it for the love of the game and because I am driven to be the best I can at anything I do. I love to compete and better myself!

Does it seem like I am opening my hips too soon? I want to be sure I am maximizing my hip to shoulder separation to get the most out of my body.

Anyone have some advice for me? I know I have more left in the tank and am willing to take advice to improve.

What type of training are you doing? Improving physically is just as important as improving mechanically. Give us a breakdown of your physical training regimine so we can see where you are and what you are doing.

Arm Bands?
Heavy Ball work?
What you do in the gym?
Any kind of active training?

Workout wise I have been staying out of the weight room for a while in order to lose some bulk, so I haven’t really lifted on a consistent basis. I have been doing a lot of cardio, most of it being long distance or of the HIIT type. I usually will run 4 days a week, one day being long distance (between 2-4 miles) and the next day being more High-Intensity focused.

I haven’t done any heavy ball or weighted ball work primarily because I have been exposed to the whole “weighted balls are bad for you” mantra throughout my life. In exchange, I have been doing some work with wrist weights during the week on the days that I run (4 times a week).

I have been looking to purchase some bands, however funds are a bit tight so I haven’t been able to purchase any as of yet. I hear they really help to improve one’s durability and flexibility, is this true? Are they worth the $?

I have been throwing 4 times a week, usually doing long toss twice and then just casually playing catch the other two days. In addition, on Wednesdays I have been throwing a bullpen and I just started pitching in a summer league on Sundays. This adds up to 4 relatively intense days of throwing work during the week.

I’m going to buck the normal trend here and say loose all the long distance running. Forget it ever existed (you’re welcome). Long distance exercise is counter-intuitive to the development a pitcher needs.

Switch to a sprint based workout/training regimen. A pitcher is nothing more than a VERY short distance sprinter… i mean think about it. They walk around the mound… toe the rubber, come set… then WHAM a 2 second sprint… then they walk around on the mound again, some time passes, they toe the rubber, come set, then WHAM another 2 second sprint. A pitchers outing is nothing more than 100 super short sprints with nice breaks in-between each sprint. And even longer breaks every 15 pitches or so (between innings)

Really what you are dealing with is aerobic vs anaerobic respiration. Not to get into too much scientific detail, long story short, when long distance running you are training anaerobic. Pitchers literally NEVER reach an anaerobic state so you are essentially training something you will NEVER use on the mound (what a waste of time right?). What pitchers do utilize is aerobic facility. In a nutshell, a short sprint, the muscles are never starved of oxygen.

So first off, train in short sprint, high-intensity type exercise rather than long distance or extended. Short interval training with long breaks between intervals is great for pitchers. And by short I mean seconds. Maybe 5-10 secs of SUPER high intensity and then a break for a min or so to fully catch breath before repeating. You literally need zero equipment other than a stop watch or an interval trainer phone app. If you do 2 interval training sessions a day for 10-20mins each session you will be amazed at how quickly you will start to see results.

It’s ok if you are unsure of heavy balls at the moment, I think you have a lot of lower hanging fruit that will give you better gains than them right now anyways.

Arm bands really are an absolute necessity. You can have your body in tip top shape but if the supporting intricate muscles and tendons in your arm can’t handle it you are going to end up with a VERY short career. Plus they will indeed add velocity. In the name of full disclosure we specialize in arm bands and more detailed info on them, and workout videos, is on our site: http://jamzbandz.com/index.php/product/baseball-bandz/ (since things are tight put ‘ship’ in the coupon code at checkout for free shipping, will save you $5). If I asked you if you wanted to add 2-4 mph velocity to your fastball for $30 would you do it? Eat Ramen for a couple of days instead of Taco Bell and consider it an investment in your future!

Throw, Throw and throw some more. Even if it’s throwing/tossing a bucket of balls into the side of a batting cage. You don’t have to have 2 people to throw.

The interval training is very similar to the training we would do during my football career, and I actually enjoyed doing it quite a bit in comparison to running long distance (long distance is a GRIND). So, I think I will adjust my cardio by going to the track and running short sprints of about 20-40 yards or so. I am still in touch with our S&C Coach on campus from football so I will get with him to get a more structured program.

From the sounds of it, Im thinking I need to get my hands on some bands! I will purchase some this week and get started asap on a band program, possibly gonna take some stuff from Driveline Baseball for that.

I will also continue to throw and keep grinding! I love to work hard and am committed to getting better in everything I do, so I greatly value your advice! Thanks a ton!

Awesome Logan! Keep us posted on your progress!

Hey Logan,
Just took a look at your recent video. I would have got back sooner but I have been very busy. College ball is now over for my son and now I have time to help others.

Your overall rhythm and mechanics are pretty solid. When I slowed your video down and compared it to others, I see where you have a velocity leak. It’s your timing. You have to be more explosive down the mound. Your mechanics are good all you need is more back leg drive without compromising mechanics. Why do I say more back leg drive, when you plant your front landing foot, you have already started shoulder rotation. Lack of hip and shoulder separation leads to lower velocities.

Learning how to move down the mound faster without compromising your mechanics will help your timing and get you into the correct position at the correct time.

Steve

Thank you for your input! When you say more back leg drive, when exactly should I drive with my back leg? I have been told in the past to start by falling down the mound and then driving to extend your ankle and knee and then hip through, but I wonder how particular the timing of the actual leg drive needs to be in order to maximize velocity?

In other words, when do I need to begin driving with my back leg in order to maximize velocity?

DrStrangeThrow,
Could you share some of that advice with us so that we all my benefit? I’m sure others in slaughter66;s situation would really appreciate your experiences, suggestions and insight.

Greetings:

If your baseball followers are available:

On Saturday (5/26) at 1 pm, I’ll be at the Wayne Racquet Club as Professor Tennis: Demonstrating Principles in the Physics of Throwing and Swinging Stuff.

BTW: They mention food, so even with me there you can enjoy.

Hamburgers, hot dogs, rotisserie chicken, salads, baked beans, snacks & desserts!

Go to their meetup page: https://www.meetup.com/The-Wayne-Tennis-Meetup-Group/events/250993789/ to join & RSVP (need to know how many to plan the food).

Their ad: http://www.waynetennis.com

WRC OPEN HOUSE & WELCOME BACK

Saturday, May 26 at 12 pm
A great way to usher in the tennis season and for non-members to experience the club for FREE. Enjoy an afternoon of tennis, food and fun. There will be open play for all levels/abilities and tennis balls are provided. There will also be a 1:00 PM appearance and demonstration by “Professor Tennis.” Hope to see you there!

Sincerely Yours,

Don

Don R. Mueller, Ph.D. (aka Professor Tennis)
Email: drmueller@optonline.net
Phone: (845) 406-4623 (USA)

Hey Logan, what I am talking about is your back leg load and unload. I am going to include a short video showing back leg load and unload and how to sit into your back leg while explosively moving down the mound.

Some pitchers as yourself, push off the mound to gain momentum but never load the hips to explode down the mound. Loading the hips starts with a subtle little movement at the top of your leg drive. It is almost like you are corkscrewing your back hip locking it in place. For a righty pitcher, the move with your hips is to the right. You know you are doing this correctly because you will feel your back hip corkscrew just a little. You will also notice the leading position of your front hip. In your video you don’t lead with your front hip. This is typical for a tall and fall pitcher. See the video for a visual.

As you move down the mound, you will notice that you will begin to sit into your back leg. You do sit into your back leg drive but without loading the hips first you never really get to be as explosive as you can down the mound. That is where your timing is off. See video for visual. These two movements alone generate a lot of momentum. The key is to load to unload. Pitching by “falling down the mound” does not generate early momentum needed to increase velocity.

This does take practice. You really have to nail down loading your hips first while also keeping your back leg foot flat on the ground. Below is a picture of Stroman sitting into his back leg drive while explosively moving down the mound. And how did he get to this position, it all started with hip load on leg lift.

Steve

Marcus Storman  -Load Phase

Video link showing both movements