Evan- 13u Pitching Analysis Request

Just noticed you mentioned a distance of 66’. If that’s the number you’re using in your calculations then that will be a source of error as the distance from the pitching rubber is 60’ 6" from front of rubber to back of home plate. Of course, you should really use the distance from release point to home plate.

This is why using that formula doesn’t give accurate results. The difference between using 53 feet from release (like a radar gun) and 60 feet from the rubber is about 9 mph when talking about a pitch that takes .53 seconds to reach the plate. This pitch is really 68 mph.

I understand. I’m sure just a typo. I’m aware of the mound distance…it should be a citizenship test!!

Good call on release point. I forget to use it at times. I fall into the metrics trap for baseball. Partly how I’m wired as an engineer and my athletic career and coaching career in swimming where the metrics drive the sport.

I guess where I’m at is that at this moment, he has a solid pitching coach (I guess just had a kid sign with a mlb org) and he’s progressing. The velocity is going to come…

A quick question. A friend who has spent a lot of time around baseball in AZ said that a good HS hitter isn’t going to get fooled by a 2 seamer…I don’t understand that sentiment…it seems like the 2 seamer has been growing in MLB of late?? What do u guys think?

In a situation where the pitcher wants to throw a fastball to a hitter that is probably looking for one, I prefer the 2 seamer to the 4 seamer. I tended to pick a 4 seamer if I was working up in the zone and a 2 seamer if I was working down. Not to say I would not try to stick a 4 seamer on the black either down and in or down and away, but that was only when I was way ahead and not caring if I missed the zone by a few inches. I felt more confident about the final spot of my 4 seamer because I felt that I controlled it better. On a side note, a good HS hitter will probably not be “fooled” by anything. HS pitchers will face very few “good HS hitters” in their careers–to be completely honest.

Thanks. I am of a similar mind. My thought is that a 2 seamer is a great risk management option as moving down in the zone it’s more likely to produce a ground ball. I like a 4 seamer in to increase perceived velocity.

I feel like is a ton of flexibility in a 2 seamer. Deeper in hand to take more off and give it more sink. More index pressure to get more horizontal.

His coach is very focused on sinker and change with my son. Prior to this coach, he wasn’t able to move anything armside. He was supinated early and cut his 4 seam without trying and has a naturally good curveball.

It feels like a more healthy approach to focus on pronation pitches. His arm slot is really deceptive. The ball comes out from behind his head really late and with the amount of layback he has the ball shows late.

Thanks for your thoughts. I love talking baseball and trying to learn as much as possible of the nuance that I never learned as I stopped playing Freshman year when it became clear that D-1 baseball was out of my reach but D-1 swimming was realistic with full time focus (it worked).

i think effective use of the 2 seamer makes the change up more difficult to hit. the change up looks different than the 4 seamer, but the change up and 2 seamer rotate a lot alike but at different speeds.

Another philosophy is to use the 2-seam in and 4-seam away. Rationale is a 2-seam away could “leak” back over the middle of the plate but a 4-seam won’t while a 2-seam in would “leak” in on the hands but a 4-seam won’t.

Update- now 6’1” 200 lbs. 14 years old.

Put current (on left) vs last video.