ESPN Magazine article on Tommy John Surgery etc

Food for thought on proper mechanics versus Tommy John Surgery in ESPN Magazine.

Few excerpts:

Great article I just got done reading it myself

Everyone wants to talk mechanics, mechanics, overuse, overuse. Literally nowhere do they talk about adequate strengthening of the surrounding tissues that absorb the load. It’s ridiculous.

re: “Literally nowhere do they talk about adequate strengthening of the surrounding tissues that absorb the load. It’s ridiculous.”

----I agree… this popular news article, which almost by definition cannot delve very far into the thoughts of any one coach, is very shallow and does not discuss anyone’s approach to pitcher-specific strength training and conditioning–whether it’s to prevent injury as in House’s “prehab” approach (or Marshall’s stuff for that matter) or the arduous program of rehab conditioning work that is necessary after TJ surgery.

For detail about pitcher-specific strength training and conditioning ideas and techniques you generally need to go right to the source because these topics are apparently too boring for the general public…you can’t expect to find detailed, valuable and training advice in an ESPN article.

One note of interest to people looking for some guidance…the article did obliquely refer to Nolan Ryan’s long-time association with Tom House, dating back to the 80’s. The development of strength-training protocols and conditioning techniques specifically for pitchers has long been the central theme of House and Ryan’s professional relationship–more than 2 decades and still going–and there is a wealth of published information available from House for those who are willing to buy his books and read them.

Marshall, of course, has been publishing his stuff for free on the internet for years…but, …well, you just have to read some of it and then consider carefully about whether you want to go the Marshall route.

I haven’t read it myself, but Steven’s “Tuff Cuff” gets a lot of kudos from people who have bought it and used his ideas for conditioning.

Perhaps the most articulate thing Lindsay Berra wrote was "It works until it doesn’t. " A quote by Brocail. In the 1930’s veterinary science, pre antibiotics, was mostly wrong when advising veterinarians on animal’s treatments. In fact,often useless. Fifty years from now sports medicine practitioners will cringe at how their predecessor treated athletes. Do we really want to clone the so called perfect mechanics. What good is it to have perfect mechanics if you can’t get outs?

I don’t know, I read the thing…I think she did (For ESPN remember) about as could be done on the subject…I wonder when they’ll try to make the “inverted W” an illegal pitch…for the “good of athletes” :roll:
The game…she is a changin…and staying the same.

I think that Strashburg had lots of strikes against him.

He didn’t work hard for baseball until he got into college. So his joints used tor pitching weren’t conditioned as long as a typical pitcher would. Maybe he still didn’t do the necessary arm care that is almost required now-a- days. He gained a lot of mph in college and his possibly weak joints could handle the pressure of that high velocity.

He throws a 100 mph. Any mechanical flaw is going to be felt by the body more. I also heard stuff about him throwing a lot of breaking balls in college. Which to me doesn’t make sense. I would think most college kids would have lots of trouble hitting a 100 mph fastball with movement. ’

I don’t think we’ll ever know for sure. It’s hard to say it’s the inverted w or whatever. I’m sure they’re pitchers who do that and haven’t been injured or were injuries and recovered fine.

I think most elbow surgeries are from overuse of poor mechanics. Poor mechanics in general and poor mechanics while throwing breaking balls.