Emotional Problems

Well I had something very emotionally painful happen lately and was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to put this out of your head and do your job? I don’t want to let this affect me like it is and I really need a way to be able to put it aside and pitch.

I’m sorry to hear that, the only way to get it out of your head is to think about something else, sounds simple, but I know it can be hard. I know you can’t just not think of it, but the only reason why you think about it, is because you are thinking about it. Just think of things that you like and maybe get over the fact. Hope this helps.

I know the kind of thing your talking about, in my opinion you should think about it only when you need to (easier said then done) but when it comes time for practice ur a game the target us your main focus, a good pitcher keeps his personal life selerate from his buissness, if you should have the time I recomend reading The Mental ABC’s of Pitching by H.A. Dorfman, I recently read it and it just changed my mental aspect of the game. Best of luck with your problem.

There’s no secret. Once you get on the mound and you assume that mindset, you have to just block everything else out and focus solely on the task at hand: each single pitch.

Two words: Mariano Rivera.
Before he even starts to warm up he takes a couple of minutes to get into a mindset he calls “the eye of the tiger”—a quiet but very intense focus in which nothing exists for him except getting the batters out. Then he warms up, and when he goes out to the mound he takes this focus with him along with that absolutely devastating cutter—and he makes the batters look very, very stupid. There have been times when he has faced some tough personal problems, but this is how he overcomes them. I remember how my pitching coach—an active major-league pitcher—taught me how to achieve this same focus, many moons ago, and many were the times it helped me get through some rough spots so I was able to pitch my usual winning game. :slight_smile:

One approach to dealing with tough issues in your life is to allow something else to take the place of the “pain.” In this case, allow pitching to become your outlet for whatever hurt or pain or stress you may be dealing with. Allow your entire being to be committed to being the best pitcher you can be, consequently, taking your mind off of whatever it is that you are dealing with. Pitching becomes your catharsis much the same way people lift weights, go running, paint pictures, or play music to relieve stress.

I’m not saying ignore your problems…but I am saying allow the force of competition on the mound to create an outlet for what stresses you.