ELBOW UP!KNUCKLES LINED up!

i always hear coaches saying keep ur elbow up…knuckles lined up
wut do u guys think about this
do u keep ur elbow up, n line up ur knucles

wut are the pros n cons of each

My knuckles are lined up but I don’t think elbow up has any importance. You also don’t have to line your knuckles some pros don’t do it.

does lining up ur knuckles help u

yeah you want to have your knuckles lined up so your wrists are looser and are able to roll over better.

i dont have my knuckles lined up and i certainly dont have my elbow up. my elbow touches my hip bone prior to my swing. i find that if its up its long and loopy but when its way down its nice and compact.

I think the knuckles lined up makes a quicker swing. Maybe its in my head, still feels faster.

i could never get the hang of the knuckles being lined up. whenever i tried doing that in little league i would always hurt up my wrist cause it kept me from rolling over.

I was taught that keeping your elbow up helps you hit more line drives and helps with popping up alot. Also that lining up the knocking knuckles is more for spray hitters and that lining up your right hand knocking knuckles to your left hand big knuckles (forgot what there called) its for more power hitters.

keeping your elbow up is the worst advice
cause your elbow has to come down for you to swing through the stike zone

your knuckles being lined up puts your hands and rams in perfect position at the point of contact

Elbow up elbow down. Doesnt matter just hit the ball. Its something that i was taught, i feel comfortable with it. Im not saying its the perfect way to hit. But everyone hits different so it doesnt matter.

[quote=“kelvinp”]keeping your elbow up is the worst advice
cause your elbow has to come down for you to swing through the stike zone
[/quote]

There are more MLB hitters that start with the elbow up compared to down. Starting with the elbow up gives the hitter a “running start” into the swing. Starting with the elbow already down can lead to bat drag. This is the main reason coaches like to use that cue.

Some guys make it work with a “low elbow”, like Jeff Kent and J.D. Drew.

Even if you see a hitter start with the elbow down, some will eventually get it up as part of their swing process.

There’s a relationship here with the inverted W arm action you see in pitchers.

I hope Wright gets his elbow down before his shoulders start to rotate. :roll:

YEAH! Wat XV said! haha jk good point though with the pitchers and all that. and if you were to start with your elbows down and never bring it up it you would lose bat speed like crazy. But yet again its all about comfort and how you were raised basically.

Some more examples of elbow movement.

[/quote]There are more MLB hitters that start with the elbow up compared to down. Starting with the elbow up gives the hitter a “running start” into the swing. Starting with the elbow already down can lead to bat drag. This is the main reason coaches like to use that cue[quote]

what about ichiro & fortunado

[/quote]

[quote=“kelvinp”][/quote]There are more MLB hitters that start with the elbow up compared to down. Starting with the elbow up gives the hitter a “running start” into the swing. Starting with the elbow already down can lead to bat drag. This is the main reason coaches like to use that cue[quote]

what about ichiro & fortunado

[/quote][/quote]
ichiro just hits to get on base… He clearly doesn’t hit for power…
Being a chris o’leary fan I’d figure you would of got atleast that one right…

[quote]ichiro just hits to get on base… He clearly doesn’t hit for power…
Being a chris o’leary fan I’d figure you would of got atleast that one right…[/quote]

so
this is about hitting in general and the elbow
he uses the slap hit
and he has had 200 hits in each of his seasons in the mlb
but that only works for lefthanders

It’s not an absolute. A low elbow works for some, it doesn’t for others.

i can agree with that
same with high
low elbow hitters get on base
high elbow hitters take them out

[quote=“tdbaseball”]yeah you want to have your knuckles lined up so your wrists are looser and are able to roll over better.[/quote]Why do you feel that rolling the wrists over is a positive thing? In the MLB swing, the wrists are not “rolled over” at contact but top hand palm up and bottom hand palm down.

Aren’t they rolled after contact though?