Elbow Soreness?

I dont get it. I’m getting my elbow up above my shoulder and my mechanics are fine, but my elbow and shoulder start to get sore and I lose velocity big time because it hurts. Could it be a dead arm?

Does the inner part of the elbow hurt? You might have medil epicondilis and if the shoulder hurts it might be shoulder tendintis. I would have to look at see if there is anything wrong with your mechanics. If your mechanics are good then it must mean you have a weak core and are not in good enough shape. Go see a sports orthopedic doctor he will probley send you to physical therapy to get stronger. physical therapy in the long run is a good thing. Another reason why the pain is to much throwing or throw and not enough rest. Or that you dont stretch enough before throwing.

STOP THOWING IF IT HURTS SEE A DOCTOR

i agree with Ristar…i had the same problem if it is the inner elbow. I went to see a therapist for 2 months next thing you know it never hurt again and im throwing fine. After you DO see a doctor post a video so we I can see your mechanics, maybe i or someone else on here can help you out with your mechanics.

Your mechanics are NOT fine if you are getting your elbow above your shoulder. You elbow should NEVER go above the level of your shoulders.

Who told you to do this?

I would have to say its on the outside part.

uuggghhh, your suppose to have your elbow higher than shoulder so you drive down on the ball. And having your elbow above your shoulder means there is a less chance of injury. A former major leaguer told me this. And I’ve always heared coaches telling me “Get your elbow up”.

I always have my elbow even with my shoulder. Over the last few years I’ve had some elbow soreness. I havent been to a doctor but its better now. I just did light catch, stretching and resting when it hurt. Make sure that after it gets better throw 4-5 times per week to prevent further injuries and to make up for lost time during the injury.

[quote=“Chris O’Leary”]Your mechanics are NOT fine if you are getting your elbow above your shoulder. You elbow should NEVER go above the level of your shoulders.

Who told you to do this?[/quote]Who told you that?

I’ll ask the same question I asked in the thread where someone said you should point your toe to where you want the ball to go, that being “When?” When should your elbow not go “above the shoulder”? I think we need video here folks. I’m going to guess that he’s talking about it being “above” because he’s leaning to his glove side. If he were upright with his spine, I believe he’d have a hard time getting the elbow to go “above” the acromial line as he’s coming through.

Now, we’re all aware of Chris’ THEORY about the elbow being above the shoulder before the forearm even starts into any serious external rotation but he’s yet to answer my questions or address my comments about that.

So, when do you have the elbow “above” the shoulder?

I’m also going to guess that the soreness is more likely to be due to a combo of overuse and underconditioning/strength. Oh, and the fact that we’re asking the tissues involved to do something very stressful.

[quote=“dm59”][quote=“Chris O’Leary”]Your mechanics are NOT fine if you are getting your elbow above your shoulder. You elbow should NEVER go above the level of your shoulders.

Who told you to do this?[/quote]Who told you that? Now thatas what Im talking about!!! Someone else finally calling somebody to task for putting something out there that is 100% without anything other than a “notion” which has been congered up from who knows where. I HIGHLY suggest this imposter excuse me poster reads a few more books, hopefully one will be related to proper throwing mechanics if hes lucky he may actually find a copy of such info written by Hodge . THANKS DM!

I’ll ask the same question I asked in the thread where someone said you should point your toe to where you want the ball to go, that being “When?” When should your elbow not go “above the shoulder”? I think we need video here folks. I’m going to guess that he’s talking about it being “above” because he’s leaning to his glove side. If he were upright with his spine, I believe he’d have a hard time getting the elbow to go “above” the acromial line as he’s coming through.

Now, we’re all aware of Chris’ THEORY about the elbow being above the elbow before the forearm even starts into any serious external rotation but he’s yet to answer my questions or address my comments about that. Do youreally wonder why???

So, when do you have the elbow “above” the shoulder?

I’m also going to guess that the soreness is more likely to be due to a combo of overuse and underconditioning/strength. Oh, and the fact that we’re asking the tissues involved to do something very stressful.[/quote] Good post D.M.

I’m in great shape, I’ve been working out since the start of summer. My elbow is above my shoulder when I reach back and when im about to release the ball. I wish I could get video onto here, but I don’t have a digital camera or anything.

your going to have to get somethin gon here bc obviously its not fine if your elbow hurts???

You should not throw if you have pain at all. When you have pain it means there is inflamation that is around the nerve of the elbow. Then the nerve sends a signal to the brain. Then you get pain which means that the body is telling you to stop what you are doing something is wrong. The pain in the outside of the elbow with your palms facing up is lateral epicondylitis. You need to see a doctor and not pitch even though you want to so bad you could injure it more and not pitch for up to 3 months go see a orthopedic doctor in sports medicine.
You might think you are in shape but idk if you are in pitching shape.

well said id definatelly listen to exactly what he says

[quote=“Redsox05Repeat”]I would have to say its on the outside part.

uuggghhh, your suppose to have your elbow higher than shoulder so you drive down on the ball. And having your elbow above your shoulder means there is a less chance of injury. A former major leaguer told me this. And I’ve always heared coaches telling me “Get your elbow up”.[/quote]

No you’re not.

Some people say this, but they are WRONG.

No pitcher who had a long, successful career does this. Not Ryan, not Maddux, etc.

mike mussina does it?

I have answered and addressed your comments every time you bring this up. You just don’t agree with what I say.

But DO NOT accuse me of avoiding the subject.

Also, a major league organization thinks that I’m on to something. That holds a lot of weight with some people.

[quote=“Chris O’Leary”]I have answered and addressed your comments every time you bring this up. [/quote]Sorry. Not even close to addressing what I wrote. Go back and read some of those posts.

[quote=“Chris O’Leary”]But DO NOT accuse me of avoiding the subject.[/quote]I will accuse you of avoiding the subject as long as you do, which you have.

[quote=“Chris O’Leary”]Also, a major league organization thinks that I’m on to something. That holds a lot of weight with some people.[/quote]Congratulations. Now answer my questions and I’ll believe you. Until then, my comments stand.

As you can see here, Maddux’s elbow is well above his shoulder.

http://espn-att.starwave.com/media/mlb/2004/1005/photo/a_schilling_ft.jpg

And its the same with Schilling.

So Chris, I don’t know where your getting your info from, but its obviously wrong.

your problem is you are not fit to pitch or you have mechanical fault. If you continue to pitch you will get hurt so i wouldnt try to get out there quick for lateral epicondylis it come and goes and can take a while i think you have it. takes 2-3 to heal.

[quote=“Redsox05Repeat”]

As you can see here, Maddux’s elbow is well above his shoulder.

http://espn-att.starwave.com/media/mlb/2004/1005/photo/a_schilling_ft.jpg

And its the same with Schilling.

So Chris, I don’t know where your getting your info from, but its obviously wrong.[/quote]Far be it from me to defend Chris, and I’m not, but neither of these pics show the elbow "above the shoulder in a relative sense. It’s what I mentioned in my post about the tilt of the shoulders. Draw a line from one shoulder to the next. This is , sort of, representing the “acromial line”. On both pitchers, it’s tilted down on the glove side. Now, extend the line on the throwing arm side. Now is the elbow above that line? I say no. It’s “above” the other shoulder with respect to the ground, but not with respect to both shoulders.

The other pointless thing here, not criticizing you here Redsox05Repeat, is the question of “when”. One of these pics is at release and the other is at full external rotation. Chris’ theory about this has typically been about the elbow being above the shoulder before the forearm has even gotten to horizontal in the cocking phase of the delivery.

This is why I ask “when”. We cannot have a fruitful discussion unless this is made clear. Redsox05Repeat has just clarified that for us. He’s referring to the elbow being “above the shoulder” as it is compared to the horizontal plane of the ground NOT as compared to the acromial line, which is what Chris’ theory is about. So saying that it is WRONG, as Chris has, is meaningless in this discussion.

Does shoulder tilt lead to elbow injury? That would be quite a stretch. It may lead to other issues, such as a reduction in shoulder rotation efficiency or pulling the release point up and/or back. Those are different discussions and not what the question was about in the first place.

So, here’s the first post:

[quote=“Redsox05Repeat”]I dont get it. I’m getting my elbow up above my shoulder and my mechanics are fine, but my elbow and shoulder start to get sore and I lose velocity big time because it hurts. Could it be a dead arm?[/quote]Someone has apparently told him that this tilt of the shoulders, which gets his elbow above the shoulder, relative to the ground, is a good thing because it allows him to “…drive down on the ball…” That was the context.

Redsox05Repeat, do I have your original intent correct?

i think lol