Elbow pain

This year I have been experiencing some pain in my elbow 90% of the time I throw btw I am talking about throwing general not just pitching. Sometimes when I take a really long time to warm myself up it doesn’t hurt at all or as much. Sometimes my elbow even hurts well I’m warming up. It’s not bad the pain is just irritating most of the time. The other day I pitched 2 innings (Average for me) and my arm was killing me. This started happening at the end of my last little league season and it happened a little last year too, and I kind of ignored it, but now I am starting to get concerned. I am wondering if this is just a matter of just warming up slower/ more thoroughly or a mechanics issue. Could this possibly an Injury that was never taken care of? Btw it is pain in the middle of the bottom side of my elbow.

Any pain is bad regardless of how it may feel.

I think you need to distinguish between soreness, pain and discomfort.

That being said if this has been an on going issue which by the sounds of it it is.

Do the smart thing and go get it looked at by a qualified professional. They’ll be able to tell you forsure what’s going on in your elbow through a series of tests.

Go get it looked at by a sports doc or orthopaedic surgeon.

Would you rather be out 4-6 weeks or 12-18 months?

The longer you put it off the higher the chance becomes of doing severe damage.

A doctor will be able to tell you better then a message board.

Thank you, When I am warming up and sometimes while I am pitching it is usually just uncomfortable, but after I finished pitching my arm was in pain. I will certainly get my arm checked out soon.

Usually uncomfortable… That’s not something you want to be a usual occurrence get it looked at ASAP

I agree completely with the advice listed (get it checked) - don’t risk it at all. From my experience, the biggest problem is overuse. I have had young men on my travel team who complained of sore arms and said they only pitched a couple of innings. Then when I asked more detail, they also caught three games in the same week and took outfield practice as well.
The better ball players (athletes) tend to play more and be used more. A really good pitcher in youth ball is one who can throw strikes. Our tendency is to throw as hard as possible and try to get outs (that is normal and good), but overuse is the thing to really watch for. Lots of games and lots of practice are necessary, but should be watched.

GSchmidt,

Your location of pain, if I understand you correctly, is over the distal (lower)attachment of the UCL, specifically the anterior band, which is the most commonly torn portion of the UCL; this should not be taken lightly.

Bottom line there is too much stress on your UCL. If it’s not your UCL, and more of your forearm flexors right now, it will be your UCL sooner or later.

This doctor recommends ice, and rest (no throwing for 3 weeks) if it’s that easily irritated, and skilled physical therapy to start immediately. You are likely becoming injured because you lack eccentric strength in 3 primary areas on your body, and you might lack some internal rotation of your throwing shoulder.

Take some time off from throwing, its not just about a long warm up at this point. Keep me informed of your progress, please.

All the best! :smiley:

GSchmidt,

First off, I want to being with saying thank you for your in-depth review of the symptoms of your pain. This makes it much easier to give advice.

As DrMackenzie stated, the UCL (Ulnar Collateral Ligament) is crucial when it comes to pitching. Any discomfort or pain–as you have experienced–should not be overlooked. Severe fraying and laceration is almost always treated with Tommy John surgery.

You may want to look at your throwing mechanics. If your arm has to “catch up” with your body while throwing, this is a good sign that a change in your delivery would be advantageous. Also, if your motion is more rotational (Early turning of the shoulders to your gloveside direction to throw), this could also be the culprit behind your discomfort.

Regards,

Pastimers Baseball

GSchmidt,

First off, I want to being with saying thank you for your in-depth review of the symptoms of your pain. This makes it much easier to give advice.

As DrMackenzie stated, the UCL (Ulnar Collateral Ligament) is crucial when it comes to pitching. Any discomfort or pain–as you have experienced–should not be overlooked. Severe fraying and laceration is almost always treated with Tommy John surgery.

You may want to look at your throwing mechanics. If your arm has to “catch up” with your body while throwing, this is a good sign that a change in your delivery would be advantageous. Also, if your motion is more rotational (Early turning of the shoulders to your gloveside direction to throw), this could also be the culprit behind your discomfort.

Regards,

Pastimers Baseball

I just looked back at this post (I kind of forgot about it). I took about a 2 week hiatus from even touching a baseball, I did hit in the cages though but I don’t think would really do any damage. I have only thrown the baseball a twice since then and not for very long. I actually played catch with my dad today and before I even played my shoulder seemed slightly sore and even the last few days it seems like my shoulder is perpetually sore. Also even when I just pickup the baseball it feels heavier but the weird thing is I’ve been getting stronger overall. My elbow doesn’t really have any real pain or discomfort but it seems like my arm is at least always slightly sore. Even when I’m not playing baseball my right arm (I’m obviously a RHP) has felt worse. For example today I was cutting vegetables and my arm just didn’t feel right. I’m really worried that my arm isn’t seriously damaged because I have a tryout for a travel team in about a month.