Elbow Pain on Splitters

Hey everyone, I was wondering if I could get some help on this, first off, I’m 16 I played baseball from the first year I was eligible until i was about 13, I quit because I already had more speed then the average for my age with tons of natural movement but I would still try and overthrow everything which lead to me having to quit because everytime I put my arm in a throwing angle it would hurt. Now 3 or 4 years later I’ve finally recovered and I’m starting up playing for my local high school again, but my question is, my splitter has TONS of drop and goes just about as fast as my fastball, and I have a sinker to with descent control lots of drop and is a bit slower, but almost everytime I throw a splitter, and I’m not overthrowing, my elbow will kind of sting, so I don’t throw it a lot, I also think this may have contributed to my original quitting too, but are there any suggestions on this? Only thing I can think of that might be wrong is I might be gripping it to tight? Thanks.

Check your grip. Make sure your thumb is centered under the “V” formed by your index and middle fingers. If your thumb is off-center and up the side of the ball towards your index finger, that can lead to supination of the pitch which, in turn, can cause elbow pain.

Many people don’t realize that the splitter is actually a first cousin to the forkball. There is quite a difference between the two pitches. The forkball, so called because the pitcher grips it with the index and middle fingers spread so wide that the ball is held between them, is a dangerous pitch if one doesn’t have a big paw and long fingers, because there is a real risk of injury. The splitter, or split-finger fastball, calls for a less extreme grip; the pitcher grips the ball with the index and middle fingers off the seams, but not to the extent one would do for the forkball. Both pitches must be thrown like a fastball. The splitter, by the way, will dive to such an extent that it often hits the ground—something Chuck Dressen never took into consideration in the 1951 playoff series against the N.Y. Giants, or he would have sent for Carl Erskine who did throw such a pitch while warming up.
The important thing to remember is not to overthrow, and that goes for any pitch.