Elbow down? (not pitching related)

Last year, when I was practicing with the fall ball team, the coaches told me not to keep my elbow up, and have it down because it makes your swing quicker and more easier. The past month, I’ve been playing slow pitch softball for fun, and in the first couple weeks, I had my elbow up, and I did really good. But then I had my elbow down, and started to pop everything up. So yesterday, I remembered to keep my elbow up, and I started to do really good again. Is this just me? Or should I really keep my elbow down? If so, why is it so much better to have it down than up?

I’m not a hitting expert but…

All hitters will get to the position where the back elbow tucks in front of the torso right before they start to swing the bat. If you start with the back elbow up, it takes a little longer to get to that position so starting with the elbow down will make that part of your body quicker. Obviously, this affects your timing. This is the type of adjustment you make when you’ve got two strikes on you and the coaches are yelling “shorten up”. But I think you also need to make adjustments to make the rest of your body proportionately quicker too. For example, you might rotate the back foot so that it points forward a bit to speed up the pivoting of the back foot and leg. I’d tend to think that just changing the elbow position without changing something else to go with it will mess up your timing and, therefore, is probably not advisable.

I was always tagh to have ur back elbow up it gives you a level swing and i think if your back elbow is down you will have a little less power. If you’re saying that since your elbow wwill eventually be in the down position then it would be better to have it there already is wrong. Its the same concept as have your fist half way extended and then trying to punch. there wont be as much behind it.( unless ur bruce lee xD)

Once upon a time almost every coach told hitters to keep their elbow up. People eventually realized that a hitter could also be successful starting with their elbow down. People then over reacted and a lot of coaches started telling hitters to keep their elbow down and started believing that it was wrong to start with the elbow up despite the fact that many if not most major league hitters start with their elbow up.

The reality is that it depends on the hitter. Some are more comfortable starting with their elbow up and some are more comfortable with it down. Unless one of the starting positions is directly causing an individual hitter a problem such as looping or lack of power then there’s no reason to tell a hitter to change what is comfortable for them.