Elbow below the shoulder?

I saw this 14 year old pitcher throw with his elbow below his shoulder. He is a relief pitcher so he doesn’t get into too many ball games. Now will this affect him in the long run?

In my humble opinion, you should check at what point is his elbow under his shoulder line, remember pitching is motion not static positions. Some people might say that Greg Maddux or Randy Johnson have their elbows under their shoulder at the high cocked position but in reality when it matters, when they are about to release the ball their elbows are in line with their shoulders.
I had elbow and rotator cuff problems simply because my throwing mechanics were bad. I used to drop my elbow and not get it at the proper position when the release point was about to happen. So from my personal empirical point of view you need to notice that part of his delivery to really know if it’s going to affect the kid.

His Elbow is below his shoulder line at release point. When the arm comes forward the elbow is below his shoulders.

As I stated in my previous post, I used to have my elbow under my shoulder line and it hurt my elbow and rotator cuff. Not to a degree of needing surgery but had to endure a very hard recovery. So my advice will be to at least bring that elbow as high as your shoulder line so he doesn’t stress his elbow and shoulder.
Do you know how to post images here? I have a copule of pics that might help with actually seeing what I’m trying to say.

Most pitchers NEVER get their elbow above the plane of their shoulders. “Getting your elbow up” is a another example of “what we see” and not what we do. Find a picture of Maddux at any point in his delivery and you’ll find his elbow is always below the plane of his shoulders (i.e. a straight line from one shoulder through the other).

Low elbow during the scap load is fine…

But what hurts is that low elbow during the release point. The shoulder must tilt so the elbow is above the shoulder line there

elbow shouldnt be above the shoulder line
it should be eaqual
getting it above puts more stress on the arm

[quote=“The Goggles Do Nothing”]Low elbow during the scap load is fine…

But what hurts is that low elbow during the release point. The shoulder must tilt so the elbow is above the shoulder line there[/quote]Why?

elbow shouldnt be above the shoulder line
it should be eaqual
getting it above puts more stress on the arm[/quote]

Is that having the elbow above the shoulder at any point? Cause mine is usally quiet a bit higher. Would that cause elbow problems or shoulder problems?

shoulder problems
getting the elbow above puts stress on your shoulder and can lead to bad mechanics
lift you arm straight up and you can fell the tension in your shoulder
hold it straight out to the side and there is nothing

maybe someone else can explain it better

shoulder problems
getting the elbow above puts stress on your shoulder and can lead to bad mechanics

maybe someone else can explain it better[/quote]OMG. I sense O’Learyism starting again.

So, at what specific point in the delivery is this bad? And why is it bad?

like i said you can feel it yourself
lift your arm straight up elbow above you shoulder
you can feel the tension and it is uncomfortable
with the elbow at shoulder height or below it is less or no tension
use your shoulders to get or arm up not your arm (tilt)

all through the delivery it is bad
with your arm moving so fast and jerking around that little bit of stress can turn into a lot more

what mlb pitcher(injury free) gets their arm above their shoulder

[quote=“kelvinp”]like i said you can feel it yourself
lift your arm straight up elbow above you shoulder
you can feel the tension and it is uncomfortable
with the elbow at shoulder height or below it is less or no tension
use your shoulders to get or arm up not your arm (tilt)

all through the delivery it is bad
with your arm moving so fast and ***** around that little bit of stress can turn into a lot more[/quote]…but where in a pitcher’s delivery does any of that happen?

it only happens to pitchers with bad mechanics
either the arm gets up to high in the cocked position or the arm gets up at release
could come form trying to throw too hard or improperly thrown pitches(sliders curves)

I’ve been through this so many times with Chris O’Leary that most people on this board are probably tired of reading about it. The height of the elbow at high cocked has no bearing on injury risk or stresses in the shoulder. This is not where the big stresses are in the delivery. Even Chris himself has recently backed down on this one.

The height of the elbow at release is a non-issue as well. What could this possible have to do with anything?

dm59

i always hear get the elbow above the shoulder…i see coaches show pitchers right when they are in the triangle position the elbow should be up…i also hear that having the elbow below the shoulder line is good…

so what to believe?

[quote=“thunderdevil”]
i always hear get the elbow above the shoulder…i see coaches show pitchers right when they are in the triangle position the elbow should be up[/quote]What is this “triangle position”? When does it happen and what forms the triangle?

[quote=“thunderdevil”]…i also hear that having the elbow below the shoulder line is good…[/quote]Again, as I continually ask, when?

The most commonly held traditional advice is to have the elbow at or near in line with the acromial line from high cocked and while shoulder rotation is taking place. Chris has challenged this advice over the past couple of years but he has little to no agreement on it. His evidence for his theories is anecdotal at best and mostly just that, theories.

When these people tell you to get your elbow above the shoulders, I question what they mean and have my doubts if they’ve really watched video of the delivery at high levels.

so you are saying its alright for the elbow to be above the shoulder through the whole arm action

[quote=“kelvinp”]so you are saying its alright for the elbow to be above the shoulder through the whole arm action[/quote]I don’t recall ever saying that. Where was that? In reality, I don’t think it’s even possible to do that.

Seriously, get some good video of pros and step through them, one frame at a time. Then come back and tell me which ones have the elbow above the shoulder line all the way through their delivery.

shoulder problems

maybe someone else can explain it better[/quote]

That does not make to much sense to me because i pitch with my elbow above and I have has some elbow problems in the past but never one has my shoulder hurt :?