Effective curveball

i was wondering how to make your curveball curve…more. i can throw a curveball but it doesnt curve all the time and i dont feel im doing it quite right… can someone help me out on where exactly to hold the ball in your hands to make a bigger curve

look in the pitching articles. thats where i learned how to throw my curve

Check my post
http://letstalkpitching.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=6024][b]here[/b

I throw a beginner’s curveball. Grip it like a two seamer except don’t let ur index finger touch the ball. Put it up in the air. Works for me.

Without seeing you throw, it’s hard to know why your curve ball breaks sometimes, and not the other times. Like someone else said, keep everything the same while throwing all pitches. Just from reading what you are asking- try this. Stop thinking about making the ball break. You say you can make it break, so let it break. You know how to make the ball spin/curve/break. When you try to do to much with any pitch, your body gets tense and everything slows down.(including the spin on the pitch) One other point to remember; all movement on all pitches gets better when you get extended at release. Just relax, think fastball until you break the ball out front. Get extension at release(release close to the batter) and never try to make the ball break more. Let it happen!
Thanks
Jeff Hunter

yeah thats how i throw mine only i straddle the seam on the right and let my index finger cut through the ball on release

I think its a curveball i throw… but i throw a pitch with my index finger like a knuckle ball and my other fingers wrapped around the ball… My friend hates when i throw it because it drops pretty dang good.

Without seeing you throw, it’s hard to know why your curve ball breaks sometimes, and not the other times. Like someone else said, keep everything the same while throwing all pitches. Just from reading what you are asking- try this. Stop thinking about making the ball break. You say you can make it break, so let it break. You know how to make the ball spin/curve/break. When you try to do to much with any pitch, your body gets tense and everything slows down.(including the spin on the pitch) One other point to remember; all movement on all pitches gets better when you get extended at release. Just relax, think fastball until you break the ball out front. Get extension at release(release close to the batter) and never try to make the ball break more. Let it happen!
Thanks
Jeff Hunter[/quote]

First, do you like the way it breaks when it curves?? And what I said before IS how you make it break more. Unless your throwing motion hinders the way you throw the ball. I can only help you so much with words. So get me some video and I would be glad to take a look.
As far as how you hold the ball. First, holding the index finger up, puts all the pressure on the middle finger. Thats why it works. BUT good hitters WILL pick that up. I would stop that. there are many ways people hold the ball, to make it “break”. The basic grip is held with the index and middle finger together, and the middle finger is placed on the inside/ of the “horseshoe” part of the seams. So when looking down at the ball, the horshoe part of the seams is open to you. You place you fingers on the right side (RHP)left side (LHP)- together with the middle finger inside the horshoe. Play with the placement of your thumb. But start with centering middle finger and thumb.
If you don’t understand sorry. Just look it up.
I thew a knuckle curve, this has the same principle as holding the finger up, with out giving it away.
Keep asking questions. hope this helps
Jeff Hunter