Eating innings

So I’m 6-1, 140. My coach wants me to basically eat innings like Barry Zito, Livan Hernandez, Mark Buhrle, and Freddy Garcia. Any tips?

Be a good pitcher with lots of stamina…
Good offspeed. Locate your fastball…

Don’t be wimpy around the plate, go right at em, pitch to contact…set a goal of as many 3 pitch innings as you can get. 8) Learn or improve your late movement capabilities and watch those innings roll up.
You’ll amaze your friends…make new and important friends…A really good sinker is also helpful :wink:

[quote=“jdfromfla”]Don’t be wimpy around the plate, go right at em, pitch to contact…set a goal of as many 3 pitch innings as you can get. 8) Learn or improve your late movement capabilities and watch those innings roll up.
You’ll amaze your friends…make new and important friends…A really good sinker is also helpful :wink:[/quote]

Pitch to contact low in the zone, let your fielders get you outs. Stay away from walks or hitters’ counts (2-0, 3-0, 3-1) where they can look fastball. Start each batter with Strike 1! And a good sinker is money in the bank, right JD?

Hose

if you’re 6’1" and 140 you want to eat something. try some muscle milk and a power bar.

shoot to get hitters out in 3 pitches or less. pound the zone and see what happens. if you can throw strikes they have to swing. and the sinker that runs in is a great ground ball pitch.

Sorry to be redundant but…

Pitch to contact low in the zone with lots of movement. Let your defense help you.

[quote=“jdfromfla”]Don’t be wimpy around the plate, go right at em, pitch to contact…set a goal of as many 3 pitch innings as you can get. 8) Learn or improve your late movement capabilities and watch those innings roll up.
You’ll amaze your friends…make new and important friends…A really good sinker is also helpful :wink:[/quote]

JD

How does your son grip the sinker and or throw it? I’ve often heard that the regular 2 seamer has sinking action and also have worked with my son to place the fingers inbetween the seams for sinking action as well.

What have you found that works best for the sinking action??

He overloades, for the cutter to the right to the left on his sinker, at least a finger on a seam, one off. If you have a nice arm angle and decent velocity it isn’t necessary to “over-pronate” (If that is a term), the ball moves from a righty down and in on a righty…and viola grounder, grounder, grounder. We follow a train of thought that avoids un-necessary motion in either directtion as it puts the arm in a flexed position (As in forced to other than natural) and the folks who have trained him believe movement can be had without it. Others like Marshall believe in an almost hyper pronate…and I guess the whole world doesn’t like supination (Though a vast majority at higher levels use it…including my son on his breaking stuff)…but on fb varients he gets the movement via finger positioning

THanks guys.

I already have the sinker. I throw it along with my change and splitter. My sinker’s really good, but it’s only 64-68.

Thanks
JD

That helps and is consistent with my previous thoughts on it

This Mr. Slurve is undoubtably why he wants and expects you to roll up a bunch of innings. A great compliment from your coach. Now go show him that trust is warrented!