Early season tournament in the cold weather

Any advice for the 15U pitcher going out to pitch in 40 degree weather? I know, stay warm. 8) Any tricks of the trade to give a guy the edge?

Hose

its gonna take you alot longer to get warmed up and throw more pitches in warmups

Wear sleeves - maybe some of that Under Armor Cold Gear.

Do an extra long warm-up before the game. Wear jacket for most if not all of warm-up.

Keep a hand warmer in the back pocket.

If possible, provide a propane heater in the dugout.

Put a jacket on each time you come off the field.

If your team has a long offensive half-inning, get up and throw a little (if possible).

Get permission from umps before game to blow into closed hand while on mound. (This is the only time umps will allow hand to face on mound but you have to explicitly request and be granted permission.)

Pretty much what Roger said. Also, bring a good pair of gloves for the dugout and/or on the basepaths.

Establish the fastball early, work ahead and pitch inside…cold weather is much easier on the pitcher than the hitter.

[quote=“Roger”]Wear sleeves - maybe some of that Under Armor Cold Gear.

Do an extra long warm-up before the game. Wear jacket for most if not all of warm-up.

Keep a hand warmer in the back pocket.

If possible, provide a propane heater in the dugout.

Put a jacket on each time you come off the field.

If your team has a long offensive half-inning, get up and throw a little (if possible).

Get permission from umps before game to blow into closed hand while on mound. (This is the only time umps will allow hand to face on mound but you have to explicitly request and be granted permission.)[/quote]

Good advice, Roger. Thanks! We have a couple of propane heaters coming…one for the kids and one for the parents lol. Jacket…check. I’ve also heard of a product called Thermocare, the kind that Shaq sells on TV. I’ve been told they work well to keep you warm in cold weather.

Good call. Standing out on the bases can get pretty cold, especially on the hands.

There ya go! That’s the kind of advice he’ll listen to. All the “stay warm” advice goes in one ear and out the other. A common comment from my kid is “I don’t get cold”. But tactical advice might make a bigger impression.

Bring a coat and wear sleves and bring a winter hat for on the bench. Also if you can handle it wear some under armour cold gear leg warmers or something similar. Also bring a good size pair of sweatys to throw over your baseball pants in the dugout. The sweatys are easy to take off and its something extra for your legs. 40 degrees isnt to bad though as long as theres no wind. But hey what do I know I only play ball in North Dakota.

Bring a coat and wear sleves and bring a winter hat for on the bench. Also if you can handle it wear some under armour cold gear leg warmers or something similar. Also bring a good size pair of sweatys to throw over your baseball pants in the dugout. The sweatys are easy to take off and its something extra for your legs. 40 degrees isnt to bad though as long as theres no wind. But hey what do I know I only play ball in North Dakota.

One other thing…and I say this as someone who did grow up pitching in the north…I love the idea of doing some light tubing in the dugout in between innings. Just enough to keep the blood flowing so that you’re loose when you go out for your 8 warm up tosses. I really love the tubes…btw, work very good for an old mans golf swing !

constantly throw inside to jam him and hurt his hands