Early Pronation

Dear Coach:

I know you talk about early pronation, but I was wondering if you could be more specific? Could an oral cue for early pronation be keeping the ball on the chest side, either pointing at the 1st or 3rd baseman, depending on what arm they throw with? Or does it matter as long as when the pitching arm gets to driveline height that the ball is pointing at the 3rd/1st baseman?

Another question, and I have been searching high and low for this information, have you heard or seen any information of injuries resulting from throwing weighted baseballs in under/over weight training? If so, could you post the information.

Thanks and have a great day.

“Could an oral cue for early pronation be keeping the ball on the chest side, either pointing at the 1st or 3rd baseman, depending on what arm they throw with?”

Great question.

The proper cue depends on where you are in the motion.

Assuming we are talking about a RHP, at what some people call the “high cocked” position the proper cue would probably to either show the ball to 3B (good), to show the ball to Home Plate (better), or to show the ball to 1B (best but really hard to do). At a minimum you don’t want to show the ball to CF.

As soon as the shoulders start to turn and the pitching arm side forearm starts to bounce back, a cue that might work is to show the ball to the sky (palm up).

The logic is that to get from showing the ball to Home Plate at the high cocked position to showing the ball to the sky as the shoulders start to turn and the forearm starts to fly out you would have to pronate the forearm.

“Another question, and I have been searching high and low for this information, have you heard or seen any information of injuries resulting from throwing weighted baseballs in under/over weight training?”

Well, there’s this study, which came out fairly neutral but seems quite preliminary…

This paper studied the idea in the context of Cricket bowling and concluded that the benefits were too small to make any (unknown) risks worthwhile…

http://taylorandfrancis.metapress.com/(xrcocy55hpkybfv5yexnasuy)/app/home/contribution.asp?referrer=parent&backto=issue,4,10;journal,16,104;linkingpublicationresults,1:100184,1

I can tell you that Dr. Mike Marshall does advocate training with very heavy iron balls, but he is talking about in the context of specific muscle-building drills. Not trying to throw for speed.

One theoretical problem with overweight/underweight training is that it can screw up the timing of the release point if you do it too much.

In my opinion, the jury is still out, which says “stay away” for me right now.