Early forearm pronation

So apologies if I have the terminology incorrect, I believe that my son is pronating his forearm way early in the delivery. Its bad enough that his coaches and his teammates notice it, because it just looks weird.

Best way to describe it is that it looks like he is trying to snap off a screwball! He has some nasty ball-side movement, but he does complain of pain in his upper arm, which he didn’t typically before.

Any drills or cues I can use to help him out here? Towel drill maybe?

Thanks.

So if he is releasing it with his palm flat, that is ok even if it looks weird. However, if he is releasing the ball with his palm facing more towards him than the batter, then you have a serious problem. As a young pitcher, I usually release the ball with my palm facing up and towards the batter and I release it when my arm is a little higher than even (but only like an inch maybe less)For a fastball or changeup. A curve or a slider is completely different and he shouldn’t throw those until hes at least 13 or 14. I think towel drill would help him a lot. Something else that might help him is just practicing his leg lift and release motion in front of a mirror. Practice keeping his hand straight during the release of the pitch as to not get any unwanted spin or curve, and releasing the ball at the correct position. Not actually throwing the ball but doing the leg lift and stopping his arm right when he would release the ball if he was actually throwing and just doing that over and over until he has it down where he wants to release the ball and not moving his hand during the release of the ball. Then, after he has that down, try actually throwing the ball and see if what he has done has helped. You mentioned he also has pain in his upper arm. Is that in his elbow, his shoulder or his bicep and tricep? If its in his elbow, then you should stop him throwing for at least a month and maybe if you have one available, see an orthopedic doctor. If its in his shoulder I would recommend also stop all throwing, but that is a precaution. I dont think that would be a huge detriment to him in the future but it could cause some issues. I dont think you need to see a doctor if its in his shoulder, but definitely have him rest his arm until all pain is gone in the shoulder. If the pain is in his bicep and tricep, then have him rest his arm for a week or so. If its in his bicep and tricep, its probably just a sore muscle and its most likely not a big deal. If he keeps pitching with a sore bicep and tricep though, that could cause problems with his arm and could be very bad for him in the future. So have him rest for at least a week no matter what and if its in his shoulder or elbow then have him rest for at least a month. If he still wants to play, have him play first base. A lot of people make the mistake of putting a hurt pitcher in the outfield but that is a bad idea because he needs to throw just as hard or harder than he would if he were pitching to get the ball back in the infield. First base is good because the ball is usually being thrown to him and most of the time, the only throwing he needs to do is back to the pitcher after the play. You may be thinking “What does a thirteen year old kid know about pitching?” But I do know a lot about baseball. I still have a lot to learn, But I know enough to see that your son could be seriously injured, But it can be easily prevented by doing what I just said. I’ve seen enough pitchers on my team ruin their arms and I want to make sure your son doesnt do the same. I have been playing baseball for 9 years and I know a lot more than you would expect. I am often underestimated and belittled because of my age, but if somebody is going to listen to me one time, this would be the time. If your son keeps throwing, he could ruin his arm forever. I really hope you take my advice and I really hope this helps him. P.S. Don’t do the drills I told you about until he is done resting for the required amount of time for his injury. Out of curiosity, how old is your son, how far is the pitchers mound from home plate, and does he throw on a flat or on a mound?

Tecuani,

“ I believe that my son is pronating his forearm way early in the delivery.”

If you mean when he starts the ball forwards then he is on the right track. Forearm drive pronation eliminates many Elbow pathologies !! The problem arises in understanding how to arrive at the back that matches the next action.

If he arrives traditional with his forearm pronating on the way back and up he must correspond with an intuitive forearm supinated drive start. It’s intuitively antagonistic for that action.

If he is going to drive the ball with forearm pronation he must arrive at the back with forearm supination, now this action matches intuitively for forearm pronated drives that actually match what the Humerus has to do, inwardly rotate also.

“ Its bad enough that his coaches and his teammates notice it, because it just looks weird.”

I would say it’s much worse they are all taught an injurious arrival and most of them will miss the opportunity to continue because of their pathomechanical ignorance.

Best way to describe it is that it looks like he is trying to snap off a screwball!

He should !!! It’s the safest pitch on the arm. Have you noticed in the last 5 years the proliferation of the fastball Sinker and turning over the changeup? The science says it’s the way to go.

“He has some nasty ball-side movement”

Want to see it improve? Ask him to throw from a high arm vector, stay tall and rotate off the glove side leg. Ask him to bring the ball back the up by supinating in the way back.

keep him away from forearm supinated pitch types like the ¾ S.Curve, S.Sliders and S. fastballs.

“ he does complain of pain in his upper arm, which he didn’t typically before.”

Exactly where? If his forearm traditionally flies outwards and he’s trying to pronate his forearm, the centripetal force of his Humerus going one way (traditionally arriving outwards) and his forearm going the other is this out of sync problem that can be easily mitigated by corrected arrival and understanding between by arrivals at the back

“Towel drill maybe?”

If you want to learn how to snap a towel and really bend your back, do this one.

“Any drills or cues I can use to help him out here?”

The best drill in throwing or pitching by far is the “no stride drill” where he puts his ball foot toes over the front lip of the rubber, puts his glove foot out in front with the foot turned out and in it’s leg lane on the glove side of the field driveline about a power walk distance (short) with his glove and ball together at the belt.

Have him pendulum swing his glove and ball simultaneously down then back then up by having the ball arm supinate on the way back and the glove arm pronate on the way forwards. When he arrives to length with the ball back and at driveline height (top of head high) immediately pull back on the glove arm by supinating the forearm against the glove side pec. and raising the ball elbow up. When you drive the ball pull back against the glove side leg by extending it fully, staying tall and rotating the Torso 175% by trying to end your ball side hand in near your back pocket.

Hope that helps, any questions feel free.