Drills to release the ball later?

I am curious to see the ideas that pop up, but I am looking to release the ball a little bit later on all pitches. If anybody could post any advice or drills you have used or have been taught to do so please do.

Have your catcher sit 5’ in front of the plate for the first 10 pitches of your pen. Then see if you don’t keep the ball down a little better.

I have looked through pictures of a recent outing and came across a picture right at my release point which was just barely in front of my body. I am able to keep the ball down, but I am looking to release the ball more out front and hence closer to the plate and also with possibly more velocity. I am having a real issue with breaking balls, I throw them with the same arm speed but the ball just seems to float instead of being a hard breaking ball. It is much slower than I have ever thrown a breaking ball and its because of how early I am releasing the ball not allowing all the action in my arm to do the work and create velocity on the pitch. So this is why I am looking into some drills to release the ball later.

It would be best if we could see those pictures or even better a video to give us a visual reference of what you mean by releasing early.

I didn’t find any pictures of what I would consider the issue, I see one picture of your post which looks good, but nothing to indicate what you look like between the hand break and I especially I would love to see your postion at the foot strike (to see how your hips and arm are oriented). I would imagine that it’s another case of opening too soon.

I do however agree that your release is early and therefore you probably miss up quite a bit.

I just threw a bullpen at practice today, my pitching coach was noticing the same thing. A little bit of opening too early, at times flying open with the glove side. I was missing up a bit today, but by the end of the bullpen I worked down and got more outfront with my release and it showed with accuracy. One thing my pitching coach did notice is that I drop the elbow on my breaking ball, any insight to help this issue?

I am assuming that when you throw a breaking ball you try and curl the ball toward your head after your break vs pointing the ball out between 1st base and 3rd correct. I would imagine that you aren’t really getting the ball to the correct power position before you throw, watch this video around 3:30 to around 4 minutes I think it will give you a idea if you are on the right path.

Aim lower.
Repeat until desired location is achieved.
Put brain in “End Result”.

[quote]Aim lower.
Repeat until desired location is achieved.
Put brain in “End Result”.[/quote]

“Aim lower, repeat until desired location is achieved”? This is your gem of wisdom? Wow we could all play in the MLB if we just aimed the ball enough times till we got the result! Missing your location usually has something to do with mechanics not with just adjusting the gun sights and taking another shot.

I didn’t know it was just that easy to be a pitching coach. Now that my “brain” is on straight guess all the time I have spent understanding pitching is out the door!

Thanks for the video, I like that it walked through everything. I do point the ball outwards just like I would with any pitch after I break the hands. I think its coming down to a matter of repetition. I had a pitching coach try to lower my arm slot, once I tried to bring it back up to my normal arm slot I started out leaving the elbow down on every pitch. Ive worked to get it back up since then and have gotten it up on everything except for the curve. I am just going to take his simplistic approach from the video and work from the beginner stages he showed. Then take a look at how I break my hands and make sure there is no variation. I then will just need to keep working on it to get the elbow up and work on finishing everything out front in bullpens.

[quote=“buwhite”][quote]

“Aim lower, repeat until desired location is achieved”? This is your gem of wisdom? Wow we could all play in the MLB if we just aimed the ball enough times till we got the result! Missing your location usually has something to do with mechanics not with just adjusting the gun sights and taking another shot.

I didn’t know it was just that easy to be a pitching coach. Now that my “brain” is on straight guess all the time I have spent understanding pitching is out the door![/quote]

Buwhite,
Do you want me to respond to this?

How about listening to your pitching guy at Greensboro? You’re in college, and a Soph. to boot. (Make sure Soph isn’t a mispelling for "soft.) You threw one inning and walked two. It’s not time to purchase an electric blanket and urinate on yourself.

[quote=“Fred Corral”][quote=“buwhite”][quote]

I didn’t know it was just that easy to be a pitching coach. Now that my “brain” is on straight guess all the time I have spent understanding pitching is out the door![/quote]

Buwhite,
Do you want me to respond to this?[/quote]

I just couldn’t fight my better thoughts…here it goes.

It is my gem of wisdom.

If thinking that everything is a mechanical fix is keeping you from making the MLB? Yes, everyone would increase their chances. Pitcher’s don’t get paid for mechanics buwhite. They get paid for hitting their target. How does one go about hitting their target? My experiences as a pitching coach has come down to a few things and one thing I know for sure….you can do everything right and still get a bad result. If you get the ball down or better yet, you hit your target, you get your release point where it should be or needs to be. I feel foolish really, bringing it up. The end result will bring about the fix.

If mechanics were a key and or important to success, all those attaining “big league” status would look very similar. They are the top of the pyramid. Mechanics are for health reasons. If we were robots?…. Bring on the delivery stuff. There are way too many variables when considering us human beings.

A little pointer on hitting your target…don’t consistently change your gun. It will require you to continuing to acquire a new feel and skill level in understanding the sights. Keep the same gun and know how it shoots and YES…adjust your sights. It’s called aptitude. With those adjustments it will lead to command.

It is very easy to be a pitching coach….I have tried to convey that for years (Unless you have a habit of confusing yourself with complexity). But because of all the complex stuff out there, simplicity and understanding will always be employed. “The main job for a pitching coach, or any coach, is to eliminate his job” - Jerry Weinstein. When the athlete can find out that the answer to this question at the start of the thread is really that simple, the coach can then move onto better and more precise teaching.

I am sorry you spent so much time understanding pitching…or not. I wouldn’t say it went out the door though. Edison didn’t say he failed 500 plus times….he just found 500 ways it didn’t work. It’s all in how you look at it. Hang in there buwhite. :slight_smile:

My coments were to ask the poster if missing high might have been due to him opening up too early, the answer was might be I tend to open too early, therefore it could be a mechanical flaw that is causing him to be out of sync and therefore missing high. I don’t feel just aiming lower could fix this issue. In his photos I was picking up that his hips were looking open early but without video or other reference would be a “waste of time”, sorry we disagree.

This wasn’t based on your trying to help someone or the fact that you disagree. I am ok with both. It was your smarty pants response to simplicity that brought my reply. Your post on my suggestion of aiming lower really shocked me because I thought you knew more than that. It was a Shocker.
There is no disagreement, the only thing, if any was you had a bit of “tower crusher” in your words. I don’t mix well with tower crushers and you have a bit of that. All is cool.
My question is also in how would Coach Acker feel to know that this young man is going outside the program for info from those he doesn’t know or know of him? And trying to instruct from pics to boot.
If I am out of line with the latter, I apologize.

I actually attended a pitching camp in W TN years ago held by a coach named Al Woods. Very informative. He stressed throwing the ball later by keeping the ball in your back pocket and then reaching for it in the last part of your delivery. We also worked on a mental segment called start pitching and quit *itching. One of the better camps I attended.

No problem, you have your opinion, I hope you feel I have the right to mine. Your comment just smacks of a young man saying, “When I do this, it hurts!” and the answer being, “Then don’t do that!”, this answer as well as your answer seemed to be very tounge and cheek.

The answer is not tongue and cheek. It was the best answer I could give. It may be that simple and that may chap someone who may want to charge 50 bucks for a mechanical answer but it was a simple as changing your aim.
If someone mentions that they are hurting, look into the delivery and a mechanical adjustment. If not, get the kid into “primary focus” and that is hitting his target.
Do you now how many guys open up their hips early and make a million bucks? Do you know how many guys fucused on not opening up their hip prematurely and missed out on making a million bucks?
I wonder how many guys, I have kept from going higher because I had them thinking about something else, and not disciplining themselves enough to hit their target? Mechanics only throw strikes on pitching machines.

Oh, and if your arms does hurt when you do that? Don’t do that! It may be that simple.

Ok, guess we can’t agree to disagree on our opinions.