Drills to incorporate core strength

hello all,

i am new to the forum and i just had a quick question. i am a 6’4" 200 lb college pitcher. i throw between 80-82 MPH at a small D3 school practically using all arm. i have been getting stronger core wise and i feel that with my size and gain in strength i can really put my body into pitching more. are there any known drills to help put my legs into it. by all standards i have fairly strong mechanics pertaining to upper body and even my leg kick i do not open up or close myself off too much.

i don’t know how much these will help but there are 3 pictures of my throwing off the book of face while i was pitching. thanks for reading!

Set Position:

http://photos-293.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-sf2p/v76/159/57/66601293/n66601293_30409798_6948.jpg

Mid-Pitch:

http://photos-293.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-sf2p/v76/159/57/66601293/n66601293_30409800_5034.jpg

Mid-Pitch 2 (On a curve I think):

http://photos-293.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-sf2p/v76/159/57/66601293/n66601293_30409849_5369.jpg

The above two comments seem contradictory to me. If you’re throwing with all arm then your mechanics most likely need some adjustments. But I guess this is what you’re really asking about.

It does take proper strength (and flexibility) to perform pitching mechanics well so it sounds like you are on the right track. But can you clarify what you mean by “put your legs into it”? Are you asking what drills to do to get more power out of your lower half?

Yes I am sorry that is what I meant, are there any drills that I can perform to get into the habit of using my lower body. When I said my mechanics are fairly solid I mean it isn’t noticeable that I use majority of my arm like some people. I wish I had a video of myself pitching because it would be a little clearer.

Video would be best. But without that, I’ll guess that what you may need to do is work on getting your hips going sooner and faster while maintaining your same knee lift. Your front leg will need to be quicker getting from knee lift to foot plant out front. These things will generate more momentum. That’s using the lower half to generate energy.

Once the front foot plants and the front leg braces, the front hip stops moving forward and the back hip rotates around the front hip. This is how linear momentum down the hill is converted into rotational momentum. The faster you move down the hill (within reason, of course) and the more abruptly that forward motion is halted, the more energy gets put into hip rotation. Of course, for the front leg to brace while everything is moving faster means that the front leg must be stronger expecially when you consider doing this over the course of a game. (Can you say “lots o’ lunges”?)

Does this sound like what you’re after? If so, I can describe some drills to help you achieve this.

Sounds exactly what I am after actually. Thanks!

Ok, then you’ll first want to get an understanding of when your hips currently start forward relative to your knee reaching the apex of the knee lift. (The apex of the knee lift is a good checkpoint by which to compare the start of hip movement.) Have someone watch you and let you know when you start forward. Once you know this, then you can start to make adjustments.

If your hips start forward right at the apex of the knee lift, then try to start them forward slightly before the knee reaches the apex (i.e. while it is still on its way up). Also try to get your hips going a bit faster in addition to sooner. Start off making a small adjustment. Practice that and then make another small adjustment. And so on and so on. Make sure you don’t sacrifice your knee lift. Instead swing the stride leg out front faster. This will definitely feel awkward at first and will take lots of reps for you to get comfortable with it. Give it a chance.

The following drills will help you practice this:

(1) Stand perpendicular to a chain link fence with glove side next to fence and throwing arm side foot about 8"-12" from the fence. Simply lift the knee and push the hips into the fence. This is a simply way to practice starting the hips sooner.

(2) Cross-over drill: Stand in the stretch position. Then cross the stride leg over in front of the pivot leg. Bend the knees a bit if necessary to get the stride foot heal to touch the ground. Simply go through your pitching motion from this position concentrating on getting the hips going. The crossed-over position helps emphasize the hips since it puts you in a position where the hips are already out front. This drill can be done on flat ground and from a mound.

(3) Narrow stance drill: Same as above but instead of crossing over the front leg, simply place the stride foot next to and touching the pivot foot.

(4) Normal stand drill: Same as above but using your normal starting stance.

Drills 2-4 above represent a progression from a position that over-exagerates things to your normal stance.

Make sure when getting the hips going that you don’t introduce a posture issue. The head and shoulders will stay slightly behind the front hip into release but there shouldn’t be a big lean back toward 2B.

Could you please elaborate. I am just not sure do I do this out of the stretch as well. This just seemed a little confusing.

The rest I understand and I appreciate all your help. Thanks!

Could you please elaborate. I am just not sure do I do this out of the stretch as well. This just seemed a little confusing.

The rest I understand and I appreciate all your help. Thanks![/quote]

Stand next to a chain link fence so that the fence is to your glove side. If you turned your head to your glove side so that your chin was over your glove-side shoulder, you’d be stating at the fence. A line through your shoulders would be perpendicular to the fence. Your throwing-side foot should be about 8"-12" away from the fence and pointing parallel to the fence. The glove-side foot will be closer to the fence.

Once you’re in the proper starting position, simply lift the knee and stride into the fence. Your glove-side hip should be the first thing to touch the fence. You’re not taking a complete stride. In fact, you’re really just getting started. You’re practicing the early part of the stride - the part where you lift your knee and get your hips started (not necessarily in that order). This lets you focus on making the adjustment of when your hips start toward the plate without having to worry about the rest of the stride. It’s a way to help you get a feeling for it.

You do this only from the stretch.

Does that help?

hey i noticed that when you were in mid stride your arms were spread widdeeeeeee apart like a birds wings.

I also had this problem last winter but i had it all corrected because i went to pitching lessons.

The time that you drop your leg after picking it up (your lead foot), is the time that the ball should be pulled out of the glove.

When you land your glove hand should be spread out so that it is directly about your lead foot (left foot if you throw right handed), and your throwing arm’s elbow should be almost pointed straight back, and your arm at about a 90-120 degree angle…then the rest is just follow through, hope thathelps

Sorry for the delay but yes Roger that does help.

Thanks for the input on my upper half, I have a habit of rushing sometimes and normally I seperate later on and everything.

Roger, what is the cross over drill useful for? I’m not questioning it at all I have just never had it explained to me and the use of it. You seem to have already explained it but what could it be used for?

The cross-over drill is good for practicing getting your hips going sooner and leading with the front hip because with your front leg crossed over the back leg you’re put into a position where the front hip is already stuck out front a bit and as soon as you lift the stride foot you’re immediately off-balance which forces you to start forward.