Drills {might start to do one}

ok the drill is like this

HOLD HANDS ON CHEST LIKE AND X
DO THE DELIVERY AND FOCUS ON STAYING CLOSED AND EXPLODING THE HIPS.

Is this a good drill?

I know im not a drill person but im going to try ok everyone ?

Im having problems staying closed and getting the back hip to drive forward like roger clemens and Dice-k

so please help me ASAP

JAcob

Ristar, how many times do you have to be told that not every gimmick out there is going to be a magic bullet. Drills will help, The right ones based on what you need to fix, but it takes time effort, work, trusting your approach and methods. Look, if you are willing to give drills a chance, why don’t you take a chance and look into a pitching coach? Like say one from a college program, one who has an interest in your getting better and not just getting your money. Don’t expect a complete change over night and if the coach promises better over night, he’s not who you want. Stop with all the constant changing after you hear something some “expert” says will make you “faster”, without a careful considered approach stuff like radically changing your stride could actually mess you up or even get you hurt, get a grip on just what mechanics you use, then refine them, this is never going to be an over night process so learn how to relax and focus on refining not constantly changing.
The reason I suggest you have a pitching coach look at you is you are obviously struggling, I would guess from the stuff you’ve been pushing as advice is that you have accuacy issues right now with all of that explosion stuff, am I right? I’d bet I’m right, I think a decent pitching coach could possibly get you in control of your “explosion” enough to hit a spot.
Any way thats my 2 cents.

No control problems and remember i changed alot of the old mechaincs you have seen before. Also a coach isn’t an option at this moment because I don’t know any good ones around where i live.

Will this drill work? Im pretty sure it will get me use to the strech needed in the torso for pitching. and keep me closed.

I’m pitching tomorrow at a field I can set up my camera to get what my mechaincs look like. Now Things I have changed are the big step back, The shoulder tilt at leg lift, The leaning back in the stride.

Things im working on are staying closed and back hip rotation.

WILL THIS DRILL BE OK AND ARE THERE OTHERS THAT WILL HELP?

Why don’t you call dick mills and ask him.

Opening up early is a timing problem. It is caused by things that destroy timing such as an instable glove or inappropriate posture change.

Post some video showing you opening up early and we should be able to determine the cause and the fix. Doing a drill where you cross your arms in front of your chest might keep you closed but you’re not going to pitch that way so there’s probably a better approach to fixing the issue.

That drill does not take into account the fact that a prevalent challenge in “staying closed” with the shoulders is that the hips are opening when they should, just before landing, but the shoulders shouldn’t. Competing things happening in the brain. At the same time that this struggle is going on in your brain, you are also trying to get the front arm doing one thing, keeping the glove from turning over, and the throwing arm is doing it’s thing in an entirely different way. Oh, don’t forget to think about how you want the ball to face, or where you want your fingers, either on top or on the side but, wait, when should I do this and should I use the M, aaaaaaahhhhh!!! Toooo much for the brain to comprehend.

Now I know that all of the drills proponents like to break things down into component “chunks” in order to quite all of that noise. I believe that this is a big challenge for those types of drills, including the one you’re proposing. That “noise” all happens AT THE SAME TIME when you pitch in a game situation. So, one really needs to ensure that training includes that, at some point. I don’t believe your drill is going to be terribly productive and transfer into a situation where you add the noise.

My suggestion is to work backwards in the pitching sequence, using a reverse progression approach. Mills recognizes its benefits, calling it “pitching backwards” and Nyman has written about it several times. It can be very effective in getting the “feel” for how all of these competing motions in different areas of the body, at different times, actually go together in a unified whole.

I think one needs to practice having the arms do their thing while the hips rotate into landing. Let the brain get used to those disparate elements working together rather than against each other. While the ball is being lifted upward toward the high zone, the bottom half is rotating into landing. That needs practice.