Drills for Using Your Legs When Pitching?

Does anyone have any good drills that they can share that would show how a pitcher should use there legs, hips, core, in the delivery?

Thanks!

Fold your hands or arms behind your back, go into your normal delivery, and land as you usually would with your arms still held behind your back.

We do 3 pretty basic drills on flat ground the day after an outing

1. Down the line drill - (also used to keep them in line) Mark a spot out about 2 of their normal steps away from their starting point on a straight line (either taped or line-up with something). Have them try to explode out to that point
  2. Chair Drill - put a chair about 2 feet to the arm side of the pitcher and about 3 feet (depending on height and stride length) out in front of where the rubber would be. Pitcher goes through motion. Pitcher has to clear the chair with his trail leg. Makes sure they are pushing with the plant leg and getting backside through the pitch
  3. Bucket Drill - set up like throwing from one knee, except bend back leg up at the knee so that toe is on a bucket. The pitcher has to throw and push with front leg in order to stand up. It the second drill on this page: http://www.thecompletepitcher.com/pitching_drills.htm#q2

cjjcu - can you elaborate.

For number 1 what does [quote]their starting point[/quote] mean?

For number 2 what does [quote]the arm side of the pitcher[/quote] mean?

Thanks,

Ed

Re: "Chair Drill - put a chair about 2 feet to the arm side of the pitcher and about 3 feet (depending on height and stride length) out in front of where the rubber would be. Pitcher goes through motion. Pitcher has to clear the chair with his trail leg. Makes sure they are pushing with the plant leg and getting backside through the pitch "

----I’d be interested to know what other experienced pitching coaches think about this particular drill.

In my experience, the trajectory of the trail leg, or post leg, in follow-through depends on whether the pitcher throws from “over-the-top”, 3/4, or side-arm.

I would expect “over-the-top” guys to clear the chair in this drill, maybe the high 3/4 guys too. However, I doubt if low 3/4 or side-armers would clear the chair in this drill, even if their mechanics were very good.

I agree, the back foot tends to take a path that mimics the arm slot. Furthermore, what the back foot does is really a result of other things. In general, focus should not be put on things that are a result of other things - focus should be put on those other things. For example, a long stride is good but stride length is really a result of other things. Focus on doing those other things well and the stride length will happen.