Drills for Pitchers

Hi guys. I am a young pitcher and have a lot to learn. Although I understand most of what I need to do in order to be succesful I’m having trouble changing and more so perfroming these actions properly.
Eg When I pitch my shoulder tends to come out to fast instead of leading with the hip, I know i have to lead with the hip but what should it feel like and is there any drills to practice this? Some of you may be thinking just lead with the hip its not that hard, I know its all about practice but any drills that will help consolidate this motion properly will help greatly.
I also rotate my shoulders and hips at the same time instead of hips then shoulder is there any drills to work on that?
Any help would be appreciated and please post any additional drills or tips you think may value the viewers of this page and myself.

Good morning, spence.
Many moons ago I used to go to Yankee Stadium (the original ballpark) every chance I got, and I watched the pitchers during practice and in games. I noticed that the Big Three—Vic Raschi, Allie Reynolds and Ed Lopat—were all doing the same thing: they were driving off the lower half of the body, using the legs, the hips and the torso in one continuous (and seamless) motion, and that was how they were getting the power behind their pitches. This also took a lot of pressure off the arm and the shoulder, both of which were, in effect, just going along for the ride. I saw exactly how they were doing this, and I made a note of it and started working on this on my own. As I practiced this essential element of good mechanics I found that I was also throwing harder—and faster, such as it was—than I had been doing before, and not a sore arm or a sore shoulder or a sore anything else in the bunch!
There’s an exercise called the Hershiser drill which aims at getting the hips fully involved. If you check the “articles” section of this website I think you’ll find it, and there are several other very good drills to go along with it, to help you get that sequence going.
You might also enlist the help of a good pitching coach.
A couple of tips here: You want to be sure to throw all your pitches with the same arm motion and the same arm speed, and be sure to follow through. You also want to be sure that your arm slot is comfortable for you—I have heard all sorts of horror stories about young pitchers, and even some older ones, who were forced to throw from an arm angle that was not right for them just because a coach (perhaps one with an agenda) said so, with disastrous results. I was a natural sidearmer, and my pitching coach recognized this and worked with me to help me make the most of it. And, as Satchel Paige once said: "Throw strikes. Home plate don’t move."
This should do for a start. 8)

Spence,

Regarding leading with the hip – start in the stretch position with all of your weight on your back leg; make sure your head is over your back foot. Now raise your front foot off the ground a few inches - you should feel all of your weight now resting on your back leg. From here, imagine someone pushing your back hip directly toward home plate so that you are SLIDING (or gliding) your hips laterally toward the target. Be sure to keep your head and shoulders on the same plane as your hips; in other words, keep your shoulders parallel to flat ground NOT along the slope of the mound. It may feel as though you are leaning your torso back toward second base but it won’t appear that way. You just want to start the movement with your hip and then continue to drive your body on that plane with your back leg until you get to full back leg extension. Many young pitchers who have trouble with this movement lack functional strength in their hips and legs. In that case, sideways (skater) lunges, one legged squats, and medicine ball touchdowns would help tremendously.

As far as hip/shoulder separation, it isn’t something you should really focus on. Instead, focus on staying sideways as long as possible and when you reach full back leg extension, turn your front foot toward the plate and plant (turning the front foot early will cause early hip rotation). You also must keep your entire back foot connected to the ground as long as possible to prevent early hip rotation. When you land, I like having the front arm raised up in front so that you are looking down the upper arm from shoulder to elbow, using it like looking down the barrel of a rifle as a sight. At this point, your hips should be open and your shoulders still sideways.

Good luck!