Drill work-Inverted W-Timing Issue

Got a new video up of drill work. Same issue as the flat ground work. I keep having the ‘inverted w’ which is causing a slight timing issue, in my opinion.

I still get good ER, but I think it could be a little more(maybe a degree or two) if my timing is right. And I believe my separation can look better as well, but I believe that is related to the ‘inverted w’ I exhibit.

The ‘inverted w’ chains into other things.

My finish isn’t great, but that’s not what I’m worried about at this juncture.

I think that ‘inverted w’ can be fixed by staying back more(with my shoulders). And work on my glove side arm action

I’m not sure what else I can do besides those two things.

Either way, I feel like my motion is really coming together. I still need to get into my full mechanics, which I will in the couple weeks at some point.

100x better than the end of summer, in my opinion.

Let me know what you guys think, and what else, if any, I need to work in with this. I think everything now is connected the ‘inverted w’ but other eyes may see something I don’t.

I don’t expect to be all the way there by the start of the season, but hopefully i can continue to take strides to improve myself during the spring and summer season!

Inverted W with your throwing arm? Is that what you are referring to and what you are looking to fix?

Let me ask a question. Do you have a tough time throwing a sharp curveball?

Both my elbows do it, but it’s the throwing side that matters and what I want to fix. The inverted w is that point when I kind of hitch. The point where my elbows are above my shoulder

Yes. Correct. I know what it is.

Are you looking for advice as to how to fix it?

Tipping the shoulders back will help some and will mask the issue.

If you want to fix it, when you bring the ball down by your hip, try to pick the ball up with your hand, and not your elbow. Think about the forearm getting vertical and the elbow staying drastically low. Really exaggerated.

Yes I’m looking for advice for how to fix that,

I’ll try what you mentioned, it makes sense!

Thanks!

What I see (and it would be helpfull to see a front view) is that your posture moving out is too upright. You need a better “beach ball” position as you’re moving down the mound.

This is what could be causing your elbows to be so high at scap load.

I also don’t think your arm action is horrible, but it’s not great. You are not getting as good of external rotation as you think you are. You look very “linear” in your upper body. The poor external rotation you have is caused by your hips not rotating into foot plant fast enough, and your shoulder rotation is to slow because of that (could be a flexibility problem too).

Good things are that your tempo and rhythm are pretty decent.

Better posture moving out, work on the rotation of hips & shoulders,along with more intent at the end of the throw - may get you where you want to be.

I like Hammer’s exaggeration idea.

I agree with the late intent thing you mentioned 101. I was getting better ER than your clip shows. But that isn’t a huge focus of mine right now. When everything flows correctly then I get great ER, so I’m sure what ER I’m lacking now will be fixed by better flowing mechanics.

My focuses for my next session will be the following:

-should posture-staying back more
-over exaggeration of my arm action-elbow/hand down(like what Hammer mentioned)
-and lastly late intent-should turn intent

I think working on all those together will get my mechanics flowing better and smooth everything out. And at the same time, thinking about all those separately and together won’t overwhelm me mentally.

Thanks for comments and feedback! Got some great advice, now I just need to continue to work to implement it!

Thanks again!

Jim,
Maybe try using the Hersheiser drill for staying back. If nothing else it should give you that exaggerated feel of staying back with the shoulders.

I agree with Hammer, altering the motion out of the glove and lifting with the hand instead of the elbow should help with the inverted W.

Other than that, as a follower of your blog for a while now, I must commend you on the improvements you’ve made thus far.

[quote=“Turn 22”]Jim,
Maybe try using the Hersheiser drill for staying back. If nothing else it should give you that exaggerated feel of staying back with the shoulders.

I agree with Hammer, altering the motion out of the glove and lifting with the hand instead of the elbow should help with the inverted W.

Other than that, as a follower of your blog for a while now, I must commend you on the improvements you’ve made thus far.[/quote]

Thanks for the positive comments Turn!

I did some drill work today. I did everything off because the mound was unavailable to me today, but it worked out because I did some drill work that helped my arm action.

I used my friend to create barriers that would promote good arm action, but then I came up with a better one

I got an L-screen, put it behind me, and threw. But I focused on tapping my hand, but not my elbow before coming forward, and that helped to fix my arm action.

I will post video of my drill that I did today, in a little bit.

I might be able to get some throwing tomorrow, if I do or when I throw again, I will try to add more to the drill, like a stride and more intent.

I will post the video in this thread, I look forward to your comments!

Here’s the clip. I don’t think my arm action it perfect, but I think it looks much better, the ‘inverted w’ is not present. I think the last two throws are my best ones, there are four total in the video.

Let me know what you think! Thanks!

The arm action does look better. I would still like to see you stay back or tip your shoulders with a stronger glove side.

Your glove side IMO should be stronger to the plate, leading with the glove or elbow. This may also help with the inverted W, in that your throwing arm can tend to mimic the glove side.

[quote=“Turn 22”]The arm action does look better. I would still like to see you stay back or tip your shoulders with a stronger glove side.

Your glove side IMO should be stronger to the plate, leading with the glove or elbow. This may also help with the inverted W, in that your throwing arm can tend to mimic the glove side.[/quote]

I totally agree, and that is one of my focuses the next time I do that drill. I’m actually going to have some stick a stick through the net, so my arm has to stay down, which in turn will be my shoulders down.

My focus that day was getting my arm to a good up position. I will try to get a video up sometime this week with me doing some more drill work.

Thanks for the comment!

double post

Thank you for this thought. Been looking for a mind thought that would help get my son out of the inverted W. Thanks again!!