Dreamin' Big

I am a sophomore in high school, topping out at about 84-85.
My goal this offseason is to improve my vertical, have a strong AND explosive core, chest, and arms
Also hope to improve accuracy of all three pitches for next year

So far, I’ve worked extremely hard but not gotten many results, my goal is to throw 90 by next year but I’m not making that good of progress

If anyone has specific workout routines that have worked I’d love to hear 'em

Why do you want to improve your vertical?

Great Question ^

Your way ahead of most of your class, and the higher velocity you get, the harder it is to get more. Keep working.

http://www.■■■■■■■■■■■.net/jump-farther-throw-harder/

more force pushing off the mound, more force on the baseball, plus my vertical is pathetic

Had a bullpen today, went better than I expected, good accuracy on three pitches, and velocity was good. I felt like I was throwing a wee bit harder

Hey Dreamer, welcome to the board:

The others are right, at mid eighties you are ahead of the curve by quite a bit. I think that a vert is a good measurment of general athletic ability and explosivness. I dont think “just” adding 6 inches to your vert means your velocity is going to shoot up. The power (squats, calf lifts, jumping with resistance, deadleft ect.) needed to train for an improved vert will help in all athletic endevors. Other things to measure? Sprint speed (40 & 60 yd), long jump, standing side jump ect. Doing long jump with resistance is great as are Heidens and sprints. Doing plyometrics are good, but, only part of the equation. Building a good power base with lifts and sprints is the biggest part in my humble opinion. Once you have a good base of flexability and strength, try to find someone locally for you that trains using a Veritmax. Good results with that related to vertical.

Interesting article same with the one that says lateral jumps increase velocity.

Funny thing about studies though, you can twist and extrapolate the facts and data to make it say what you want it to.

I’m not doubting it I’m just skeptical.

I like what fearsome said.

Wales…
Your right about studies and results. One thing that is interesting about pitching is (for the most part) you start your approach to your target sideways to the target. A few other things that jump to mind that do this are boxing and tennis. If you have a tennis player with a big forehand I bet they will have very good hip rotation. If you watch old film of Mike Tyson in his prime you see a guy with amazingly fast and explosive hip lead with his punches (cross, upper cut). So, whether it is vertical jump or lateral jumping it makes sense that developing strength in areas that increase the jump will translate somewhat to pitching (jumping being a very hip active activity). Lateral jumping seems to be more of a “straight line” to pitching, but, Im not a trainer. So, someone could train hard to get stronger with their legs and core and see their vert numbers go up AND see their velocity go up…but, I bet they would see their lateral jump and sprint numbers get better too. I guess I am saying that regardless of the method of measurment used the same strength/flexability functions have to be worked to see results. No training approach is an island, there always bleed over to other activities…just make sure your training is geared to the right things so the bleed over is positive.

Well said fearsome

You should consider investing in TuffCuff. It’s a perfect offseason workout for high school pitchers looking to increase velocity and maintain a healthy arm and body. I’ve been following mine religiously for the past month and im already seeing progress.

By the way mid eighties is heat for a sophomore you should post a video.

True, I do think jumping laterally is important because that’s the way your body is facing when you pitch

I’ve got a question, do pitchers get hip and shoulder separation naturally when they throw or is it something they do consciously?

Dreamer…
I think lateral jumping is good for that reason. It doesnt have to be crazy stuff, working in some Heidens into your workout is a great start.

I think some guys naturally throw with hip/shoulder seperation and some really struggle to try and develop it. Just like some guys have natural external rotation or layback with their pitching arms and others dont. Unless your a big guy I would imagine you probably have some hip/shoulder going already. As for specific workouts I am not a trainer, there are some very knowledgable people on this board. What workouts are you doing now, besides long toss?
How do you do your long toss?

Dreamer,

Check out a post by baseballthinktank in the mechs forum it’s got some video for drills about separation should be useful to you.

Sorry I haven’t been on in a while, but thanks Wales, he’s got some good drills

Lefty, I do a lot of workouts right now in the offseason,
Lots of Stretching
Upper body: Bicep curls, bench press, pectoral fly, tricep press (all with moderate weight and explosive)
Core: Situps w/ two 45 lb plates, and oblique twist with one 45 lb plate (explosive also)
Lower body: Lunges and squats (heavy weight) and plyometrics

Long toss, usually about 90 feet, using mechanics, full effort

Also, I’m deciding whether to continue workout out with my school baseball team because I don’t feel like I’m getting any benefit from them, unlike I do when I workout by myself doing the stuff above. Having a good workout is crucial because I’m going to a big showcase for perfect game soon.

Be careful not to isolate yourself from your teammates. They might begin to feel as though you think you are better than they are. Couldn’t you stick with the school workout and do your personal routine in addition?

In terms of long toss, 90 feet isnt longtoss. Look up the jaeger sports longtoss program

I’m with Dino, last thing you want to do is alienate yourself from your team mates. That will just cause problems and headaches you don’t need.

90 feet… You need to stretch it out further, I suggest looking up Jaegar’s LT program. It will be beneficial to you as well.

Well first of all, my high school is 500 people total, and literally nobody besides me has any ambition toward baseball at all, even the coach. the workouts are just like pushups, situps, and stretches, and the pushups and situps don’t benefit me, and I’m already flexible. I don’t feel bad separating myself from the team, in fact in might be a wise idea because none of them take the sport seriously. I could and am doing both workouts but the school workouts seem to be taking some energy away from me that I could be using in my workouts.

And for long toss, Nolan Ryan and Tom House say that you should only long toss as far as you can throw perfectly to your target. I still go full effort and condition and workout my arm when I’m throwing.

Might want to check out Ryan’s current views on LT as they have changed.

Doesn’t really matter to me, if i backed up 50 ft results would stay the exact same so I’m not gunna worry about it

I’m going to be blunt. As long as you feel you’ve got it figured out…IMO you’ll never reach your potential. Your frustration with the other members of your team will not go away if you separate yourself from them. Baseball is a team sport. Are you a leader? Leaders see something that need changed and they change it. Leaders don’t walk away from problems. Leaders lead. There is value in other things but oneself.

There are some very credible baseball minded people out there that endorse long toss and every successful pitcher I can think of incorporates long toss in their training in one form or another. Open your mind and your eyes. Humble yourself a little.