Drag linr\e

What is the significance of having a drag line? When I pitched I did not have one, and watching video clips of pro pitchers , numerous ones have minimal or no drag line. Tom House seems feel it is an important element of pitching mechanics, and I don’t see why.

you technically dont HAVE to have one its just because if you have a drag line it clearly shows your are pushing hard off the rubber (almost lunging) and with that line you can see where all of the generated momentum is going

I have to admit I had to google “drag line” to make sure I understood what was being discussed. In that search, the following link showed up.

A pitchers drag line a result of efficient mechanics

I read a few of the posts in that thread, and have to agree that I’ve never seen or heard it being used as a general diagnostic tool for pitchers. I have seen it used to compare a pitcher to himself at an earlier time, but not as an indication of a specific mechanical “fault”.

House came up with the drag line concept. He uses the drag line in two ways. First, the distance from the rubber to the end of the drag line can be used as an indicator of momentum and mechanical efficiency. A lack of momentum or other mechanical flaws can lead to a shortened drag line. In this context, use the drag line as an indicator to check other elements of the delivery.

Second, the location of the end of the drag line can be used to establish a starting position on the rubber that will have the effect of minimizing posture shifts as the shoulders attempt to square up to the target. The idea is to select a position that results in the drag line ending on the centerline of the rubber.

Keep in mind that not all pitchers have a drag line. Curt Schilling is one example. Also, not all pitchers’ draglines end on the centerline of the rubber yet they still do fine. This is really no different that any other teach - use the ones that work and lose the ones that don’t.

Thanks for inspiring me to write an article on “drag line”

Hope this brings about thought and interaction and debate to the simplicity of understanding “Drag Line”.

Nick.
I had the pleasure of asking and having Dr. House demonstrate his ideas of its importance to that same question in front of about 600 of my peers, so it is no surprise that it’s importance varies for different pitchers. Whether on the ground or in the air doesn’t promote any more power or balance. Starting at your release point and feeling stronger than if your back foot was in the air is only relevant if you started your delivery like that. I hope I answer the thought with my car and wheels example in the clip.

Hope this helps.

With any adjustment asked of you in pitching…do it if the answer is that it will bring about balance or connection to your delivery.
Balance is the answer.