Draft Position and Reaching the MLB

I have a Rec and Sports Management paper due and I am doing my paper on “Does where you are drafted play a significant role on how you ascend the MLB ladder” Is there any statistical data out there that I can find that shows where the greatest percentage of major leaguers come from? (ie. In what rounds have most of the MLB players been drafted? 1-5? 6-10? 11-16? 17+)

Plus I kinda thought it would be an interesting topic anyway :slight_smile:

My personal feel is that I think its gonna be anywhere in the 6-10 area. Because sometimes I think that if you are drafted in the first 5 rounds then things are supposed to be “handed to you” and thus they might not work as hard, whereas the 6-10 guys can be on the cusp either way and they might be more prone to work a little harder to prove their worth.

This is just my opinion…

[quote=“RTusk40”]I have a Rec and Sports Management paper due and I am doing my paper on “Does where you are drafted play a significant role on how you ascend the MLB ladder” Is there any statistical data out there that I can find that shows where the greatest percentage of major leaguers come from? (ie. In what rounds have most of the MLB players been drafted? 1-5? 6-10? 11-16? 17+)

Plus I kinda thought it would be an interesting topic anyway :slight_smile:

My personal feel is that I think its gonna be anywhere in the 6-10 area. Because sometimes I think that if you are drafted in the first 5 rounds then things are supposed to be “handed to you” and thus they might not work as hard, whereas the 6-10 guys can be on the cusp either way and they might be more prone to work a little harder to prove their worth.

This is just my opinion…[/quote]i bet youll find that a lot of the greats, were top 5 round picks, but theres more good players from the 6-20 range, just because top 5 rounds are usually high school players and are way to immature

There is probably an easier way to get that information but you can go through the year by year results at:
http://www.thebaseballcube.com/draft/

I think you’ll find that the percentage who make the big leagues are quite high in the first couple rounds and drop off after that with a big drop after the 10th round.

Make sure you go back far enough in time that the people have had enough time to make the big leagues. I wouldn’t use anything more recent than the 2000 draft and would probably go back further than that just to make sure.

For example in 1990, 30 out of 40 drafted in the first round reached the big leagues. Only 4 of the thirty-six 11th rounders reached the bigs. It is hard to determine how many of those simply didn’t sign as I don’t think their database is complete on minor league players.

Top round players have alot of money invested in them. They have to prove they’re not good enough to play in the majors. Low round drafted players have to prove they are good enough. The window of oppurtunity is much shorter for them, bcause next year a top round player is picked to take their place. If your ment to be in the majors you will get your chance either way.

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/news/mlb_news.jsp?ymd=20020516&content_id=26646&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp

According to the article, 64.9 percent of 1st rounders make it, and when combined with sandwich picks it is 53.5 percent.