Dr. Mike Marshall's mechanics

I was reading at the ASMI pitching forum, and someone there said that Mike Marshall recommend that a pitcher should start with the hips and shoulders already facing home plate, instead of them facing 1B or 3B/SS…
???

I can’t see a pitcher throwing from a position like this… What about the hip/shoulder separation thing? Where would the power come from?

Anyone has a video of this mechanics?

BTW, this is the original post:

Remember that Marshall abhors the traditional pitching motion. He believes it “destroys” arms and that those who advocate it should be held to task for doing just that. His entire program is intended to show that there’s a “better way” to pitch a baseball, a safer way. So, he came up with a method that uses “linear” mechanics rather than rotational. His mechanics are radically different from anything you’ve ever been exposed to regarding pitching mechanics. The moral of the story is to not try to critique his mechanics using ideas from traditional methods. They’re apples and oranges, my friend.

Oh, and good luck trying to find a video of someone just using these mechanics, let alone one that does it with high velocities as compared to traditional methods.

[quote=“dm59”]
Oh, and good luck trying to find a video of someone just using these mechanics, let alone one that does it with high velocities as compared to traditional methods.[/quote]

Hmm so it’s basically that these mechanics are safer but they cost you lots of velocity? If that’s it, how much velocity will it cost? If you can’t throw anywhere near 90mph with those mechanics then it won’t be any good. I mean, what’s the purpose to be able to throw for 40 years but if you can’t get anybody out, because you can’t throw harder?

[quote=“KreGg”]I was reading at the ASMI pitching forum, and someone there said that Mike Marshall recommend that a pitcher should start with the hips and shoulders already facing home plate, instead of them facing 1B or 3B/SS…???

I can’t see a pitcher throwing from a position like this… What about the hip/shoulder separation thing? Where would the power come from?[/quote]

It is possible to throw from this Wind-Up Set position, but it’s not easy or elegant without practice (as anyone who has seen the video of my demonstrating the mechanics can attest).

Starting off from this position does…

1. Make it harder to reverse-rotate the shoulders (which Dr. Marshall thinks is bad).

2. Make it easier to throw to 1B.

…but I have the same concern as you do about hip/shoulder separation and this is one place where I differ with Dr. Marshall; I think he may have gone too far with this one.

I am not convinced that we need to throw away the conventional Set position.

Nobody has convinced me that this is the case.

1. I have seen videos of his guys and they throw plenty hard (and put unbelievable spin on the ball).

2. Freddy Garcia’s mechanics are different (and somewhat Marshall-esque), but he still throws hard.

3. Even if (and I mean “if”) his guys can’t throw as hard, guys like Greg Maddux prove that you can thrive with a below 90s fastball as long as you really know how to pitch (e.g. keep the ball down, hit your spots, and change speeds).

Where can I find that video?

[quote=“KreGg”][quote=“Chris O’Leary”]
It is possible to throw from this Wind-Up Set position, but it’s not easy or elegant without practice (as anyone who has seen the video of my demonstrating the mechanics can attest).
[/quote]

Where can I find that video?[/quote]

Here you go…

Be gentle. :wink:

Keep in mind that…

1. My hip/shoulder separation sucks (I’m 38 and filmed the video on a cold, wet New Years day).

2. My arm action isn’t quite right.

Thanks.
So one thing I could notice, is that he advocates that you should have your palm facing home plate instead of CF/3B, is that right?
But besides that, is it really that different from the tradicional method?

You said you differ with Marshall on the hip and shoulder separation. He says you can’t separate them?

That’s what I want to know. Can you throw it near 90mph with his mechanics? Greg Maddux does not throw hard for the MLB Level, but it is still hard. What would be the average velocity this mechanics can reach? What would be the average loss in speed by using this mechanics?

He wants the palm facing 3B and the elbow nearly extended (e.g. bent just 30 or 45 degrees) at the high cocked position.

His arm action is quite different. It’s more like a javelin thrower’s motion.

I’m concerned that his guys may not be able to get enough H/S separation if going from the Wind-Up Set position.

I haven’t seen any evidence that his guys can’t hit 90 or above.

[quote=“KreGg”]That’s what I want to know. Can you throw it near 90mph with his mechanics?[/quote]Who knows? Nobody has ever been seen doing this, except of course by people who are disciples of Marshall’s.

[quote=“KreGg”]What would be the average velocity this mechanics can reach?[/quote] Who knows? Nobody’s ever seen them, except of course people who are disciples of Marshall’s.

[quote=“KreGg”]What would be the average loss in speed by using this mechanics?[/quote]Who knows? :smiley: Actually, as much as I can say that any claims of their ability to throw with comparable power is simply not proven, the opposite is also true. Nobody can prove that they can’t either.

It’s all a big secret. Keep the mystery going. Completely unsubstantiated claims of velocity.

My recommendation. Ignore it until they can prove something, anything, unless you want to be a guinea pig.

KREgt:
I was just brousing the forum and came across your questions about Mike Marshall’s pitching program. I know this is a late post but,
I have seen the success of Marshall’s pitching program work!!
I coached a kid in Babe Ruth League who went to college and continued pitching( he learned more in college than he did from me ha ha) Anyway, he was signed to a professional baseball team as a left hand pitcher and threw in the 87 89 mph range and wanted to increase his speed. I saw an article in Coach Magazine about Mike Marshall and told Lefty about it. He called Mr. Marshall and went to Florida and trained with him over the winter. He showed me his training video taken at Marshall’s clinic and he was throwing 87 to 88mph on the radar gun at the start(december) in the end (March) he was throwing a constant 91 to 93mph and his arm was bigger and stronger. So , since I’ve witnessed it I believe it.
Yes, it IS different,but it works and no arm problems.
Bill