Don't bash the coach cuz the kid threw 194 pitches

http://bit.ly/1mEiTCs

Two of my sons had Tommy John surgery and wound up afterward pitching in pain because THEY knew they were past the point where protecting their arm as though they were top prospects didn’t make sense…so the kid who threw the 194 pitches is understandably happy today.

How much was the medical bill for the surgeries? Do your sons now have a precondition for future health insurance? Shouldn’t the school be liable for such injuries?

The school isn’t liable for any injury in athletics given that parents sign waivers relieving the school and coaches of responsibility for injuries. So, any parent who wants to sue the school or coach would be in for a long, costly slog.

We had trouble getting the first surgery for my oldest son covered in the early 2000s. We faced the same problem any insured parent faces when they take their kid to the doctor with my younger son…we had switched insurance and had to get the HMO to approve covering treatment by the noted sports ortho surgeon who treated my youngest son all along. And, the nerve problem came 2 years after the Tommy John surgery … and the nerve remains healthy, it just caused great pain pitching and in everyday life. So, no pre-existing condition problems.

Where were you during not one, but two times this happened to your sons? Is there some point in being a father that you missed something? Is there some point where watching not one time, but again, - "THEY new they were past the point where protecting their arm … ?" Is there some point where reaching for “top prospects” didn’t make sense to them, but somehow it never made sense to you?

Do you talk to your son’s at all about they day, who they interact with, why they interact, who coaches them, what that coaching experience is putting them through? Do you talk to your son’s about things like this before things like this? Do you find it unusual that an insurance company would balk at providing coverage for your son’s injuries? Every wonder why amateur baseball requires parents/legal guardians to sign waivers … now you know.

No dad on the planet talks to his sons and daughter more than I did or do.

The last thing I need is to be questioned about what I could’ve done to prevent, as a dad, the injuries that hit my sons. Seriously.

If a dad gets involved with his pitcher/son…and the kid is really good…the dad’s TOO involved. I got knocked for being pushy when I wasn’t pushy at all. Parents and coaches just had to find a reason my sons were better than their kids or players.

I was so involved that I spent time helping my sons’ peers in the game and out. My daughter’s not interested in sports because she’s an acclaimed young singer/actor. Same deal! Her parents must be pushy if she’s better than her peers.

Did I learn anything from my 5-foot-10, 175 pound, right-handed, 21-year-old son with an 84 mph fastball pitching in college tore his UCL that I could’ve used to keep my 6-foot-1, 180 pound, left-handed, teen son with an 86 mph fastball, pitching in youth and high school baseball from injuring his UCL?

Well, I learned that elbow problems are actually hereditary. Who knew? I stopped pitching in college and became a second baseman with “tennis elbow.” My middle son’s elbow problem ended his career as a college shortstop. The pain and hassle just made the game no fun for him.

I learned the UCL isn’t meant to handle the stress of pitching a baseball.

Only an idiot would raise the youngest son based on him not injuring his elbow. I guess I could’ve had him throw underhand?

Be real careful when you start to question parenting when we don’t know a thing about one another or how my youngsters were actually raised, OK?

[quote=“TSill”]The school isn’t liable for any injury in athletics given that parents sign waivers relieving the school and coaches of responsibility for injuries. So, any parent who wants to sue the school or coach would be in for a long, costly slog.
[/quote]

I’m not a lawyer and I don’t like frivolous law suits, but I would think if the 194 kid needed Tj , the coach would be negligent and the school would be responsible and then maybe the school coaches would think. I know this would open up a can of worms, but hearing HS and college abuse pithers is not uncommon.

I don’t have to be careful - you do, and you should have put that into motion a long time before your son’s had to go under the knife. Deal with it.

Very sorry to hear about your son’s arm problems. Injuries are certainly becoming more of the norm than the exception these days. The medical and coaching community has tried to address it w/ pitch counts, rest, etc., but the rates keep increasing at an alarming pace.

Here’s what I find odd – we probably know MORE about pitching biomechanics now than at any time in history. I mean, we video analyze pitchers to death these days. And, yet, we still haven’t solved the injury issue.

I think more and more that it is our kids’ lack of throwing in the build up of a proper throwing foundation rather than over throwing. It’s like running a marathon (26.2 miles). You can’t just go out there and run it… it takes like 30 weeks of base building. Think about that: 30 weeks! Most kids these days do nothing in the off season to prepare their arm, throw only at practice if a coach makes them, and then expect different results come game time.

Going off Steve marathon analogy, I think its like this. A marathon runner trains on the treadmill for miles and miles which is similar to running. Then he goes and runs and gets injured in a real marathon. His body cardio is conditioned and most of his leg muscles are strong enough, but a treadmill is not real running.

In baseball we long toss and throw and the muscles get strong. Especially training nowadays , we can make a very strong arm despite a weak body. So we pitch and overcompensate or (the pro’s) add extra power from the arm. Is the old days if we had a weak arm, we just had a weak arm and cannot add power.

Remember a ligament cannot be made stronger like a muscle. A muscle can naturally contract so hard it can rip it self , rip the ligaments, or break its own bone. The body has natural pain safe guards that prevent this.