Does Velocity increase with weight?

Im 15, sphmore in HS and i was wondering if velocity increases with weight. I only through low 70’s but i weigh only 125. I never have really been a hard thrower, last year i only threw mid 60’s, but i weighed 10 lbs. less. Im working hard to get throwing faster, should i start throwing harder as i gain weight as i get older, or does velocity mainly have to do with genetics+conditioning? Also, what are good excercises for gaining velocity?

Velocity increases with strength, not just simply weight. If you put on 40 lbs of fat, it would take you nowhere. However, by building leg strength, core strength, etc, you can potentially increase your velocity. What is your height?

5’11"

Yes. There is a correlation between increased bodyweight and increased velocity. That doesn’t mean you should start eating 8000 calories/day without training properly, though! :slight_smile:

Oh boy. Here’s someone else who doesn’t know about “THE SECRET”. Very well, once again I will share it with this person who needs to know.
The key is getting the whole body into the action.
Many moons ago I would go to Yankee Stadium—the original ballpark—and I would watch the pitchers in particular. I noticed that the Yankees’ Big Three rotation—Allie Reynolds, Vic Raschi and Ed Lopat—were all doing the same thing; they were driving off the lower half of the body, using the legs, the hips and the torso in one continuous motion, and that was how they (even Lopat, who was not a fireballer) were generating
the power behind their pitches. It seemed that the arm and the shoulder were just going along for the ride, so those guys were throwing harder and faster with less effort—what they were doing was taking a lot of pressure off said arm and shoulder. I saw just how they were doing this, and I made a note of it and started working on it on my own.
As I practiced this essential element of good mechanics I discovered that I was doing exactly what they were doing—throwing harder and faster, even though I wasn’t much on speed, and my natural sidearm delivery seemed to have more snap and sizzle in it. And not a sore arm,
or a sore shoulder, or a sore elbow, or a sore anything else in the bunch!
That is THE SECRET, and if one will check this website one will find a number of exercises and drills—one of the best is the “Hershiser” drill which aims at getting the hips fully involved. As one works on all this , one will strengthen the lower half, which is really the key to a pitcher’s power.
And you need to put on at least 45 pounds, fella. You can best do this by eating well (but not overdoing it, because you don’t want to end up a tubba blubba!) So go to it, and good luck.

Pitching velocity mainly comes from good mechanics and lower body strength. A pitcher should use his lower body and core to generate momentum, and transfers that energy through his arm.
Just ask Zita Carno.

it helps when you do things right. it’s more beneficial when the weight is lean mass and increases strength. if a kid has good mechanics, you can put them in a weighted vest and they will throw harder, but not for long because they fatigue quickly

Thank you for the response, ill check out my mechanics, post a video on the video page :slight_smile:

Are you saying that the correlation is direct? IOW, does every pitcher who gain’s weight gain velocity? If so, I have to disagree vehemently.

I’m guessing velocity has much more to do with natural physical growth, simply having one’s body get used to a repetitive movement in a way that gets increasingly more efficient, and mentally understanding the things necessary to take advantage of the those things. IOW, simply getting older will increase one’s velocity.

There are things that can be done to enhance what takes place naturally, but to just say velocity and weight have a correlation is being somewhat disingenuous. And how much those “unnatural” things effect velocity, can at best be described as conjecture, because there’s no real way to measure them because they take place over too long a period of time.

kyleb, do you know the strength of the correlation between weight and velocity? I know everyone is made differently but it would be interesting if you had an idea.

Are you saying that the correlation is direct? IOW, does every pitcher who gain’s weight gain velocity? If so, I have to disagree vehemently. [/quote]

sk, I am not saying that increased BW = increased fastball velocity. You of all people should know that correlation != causation!

Various research papers show the link between increased bodyweight and increased fastball velocity. Eric Cressey writes about this all the time; here’s one article:

http://ericcressey.com/the-1-cause-of-inconsistent-pitching-velocity

[quote=“kyleb”]sk, I am not saying that increased BW = increased fastball velocity. You of all people should know that correlation != causation!

Various research papers show the link between increased bodyweight and increased fastball velocity. Eric Cressey writes about this all the time; … [/quote]

Yes, I know correlation does != causation, but that’s not true for the general population, and is why I’m very careful to make sure its never implied. :wink:

Interesting. Kyleb, will you send me a couple of the research papers?