Does the knuckleball hurt your arm?

Does it? Some people including my coach have told me this. I don’t really see how it can.

No, it really shouldn’t. However, this is only true if you throw it correctly meaning that your arm motions do not change.

The only way that I’ve heard you could hurt yourself throwing the knuckleball is by shot-putting the ball.

Alright good, because I just throw it with fastball arm action.

Will it hurt your arm-NO! If your coach says it will hurt your arm, does he know what he’s talking about-NO!

HOWEVER:

It will take time away from throwing/perfecting your other pitches. Guys generally convert to knuckleball pitcher because they are not able to get batters out with more conventional stuff. There are a few exceptions ( RA Dickey and Charlie Haeggar have pretty good big league fastballs. The Niekro brothers had other pitches too), but normally a pitcher throws a knuckler as his #1 pitch.

If you are just “mixing it in,” there are better pitches. Many guys get strike outs with it because of the change in speed not the movement of the knuckler. If that is what gets the batter out, your better with a more conventional change up.

Ian

Yea my coach doesn’t know a lot about pitching. Yea, I throw it I guess in place of my curveball, I don’t really throw the hook. My K-Ball has nice movement and my chane-up is nice too.

I would go back to work on the curve if you are old enough. 15+.See Steves article about 3 pitches being enough. Fastball, Change-up , 2 plane breaking pitch. If you want to fiddle with the knuckler,thats fine, It saved Wakefields career. But its a whole different world.

My son (who is learning it) cut his finger nails too short, and now he is unable to really throw it until they grow out. He had another tear so now he has to experiment with a 2 finger knuckler (he normally uses 3). Like I said a whole new world. At least he has conventional pitches to fall back on, Ian.

[quote=“ian demagi”]I would go back to work on the curve if you are old enough. 15+.See Steves article about 3 pitches being enough. Fastball, Change-up , 2 plane breaking pitch. If you want to fiddle with the knuckler,thats fine, It saved Wakefields career. But its a whole different world.

My son (who is learning it) cut his finger nails too short, and now he is unable to really throw it until they grow out. He had another tear so now he has to experiment with a 2 finger knuckler (he normally uses 3). Like I said a whole new world. At least he has conventional pitches to fall back on, Ian.[/quote]

Yeah, I am 14, I saw on the Pitching Tips Blog section where Mr.Ellis says you can get away without throwing one until 18 years old. He says he will help velocity. Although I am trying to develop my curve and mixing it in for high school.

Yeah 14 might be a little early. You dont want to develope tendonitis in your pitching elbow which is a very very real possibility. Look at this year as a year to master locating your fastball and change-up.

What you can do is read all about the curve-Dr. Bagonzi’s book is excellent. There are others as well. Then when you are old enough its kind of like getting a birthday present. Ian.

^ Is that the Act of Pitching? If it is I have that book, but I haven’t read it yet.