Does Front arm flyout = low 3/4 arm slot?

Am I missing something?

Does Front arm flyout happen prior to front foot plant or after?

The issue of front arm fly-out happens before front foot plant and it messes up your timing by pulling your shoulders open early. If you manage your front side until front foot plant, you will likely have stayed closed long enough to have good timing.

I don’t really see a relationship between front arm fly-out and arm slot.

Thanks Roger. So just trying to understand…

So what is described as Front arm flyout is the throwing arm at front foot plant - the angle of the foreman and humerus being greater then 90 degrees?

Hence the purpose of a connection ball? VIDEO to elaborate

As I understand it, forearm fly-out happens as the pitcher drives into his release just before external rotation. Forearm fly-out happens when the arm is not vertical or in a little towards the head but outside away from the body. So, at landing viewed from the front and back with the elbow at shoulder height, the forearm should ideally be positioned around 90 degrees. When it is greater than 90 degrees, some people refer to it as getting too long with the arm, leaving the arm behind, or dragging the arm.

Too answer your question about the connection ball - Yes and No. The connection ball will help keep the arm at the 90 degree angle if used correctly. Be careful with the connection ball. As you can see with the still frame, this pitcher is causing his arm to move way inside the 90 degree angle. No Bueno

Steve

connection%20ball%20for%20forearm%20fly-out

So, you originally said “front arm fly-out” which is all about the glove arm swinging out to the side. That is what I responded to. But it appears your meant “forearm fly-out” which is something completely different. So my response makes no sense in that context.

I really don’t have anything to add beyond what Steve said except that I’d have few concerns with the connection ball. First is that the connection ball would seem to make all pitchers have the same amount of elbow flexion (unless there are different size balls available but then you’d have to figure out which size to use). Second is I could see pitchers trying to squeeze the ball too long. In other words, at one point in a pitcher’s delivery the elbow extends but I could see pitchers trying to hang onto the connection ball beyond that point. Finally, it’s not clear how well the connection ball works with lower arm slots (maybe this was your point?)

Yes, sorry… Meant Forearm Flyout…

Not sure how a side arm or low 3/4 arm slot pitcher would benefit from the connection ball. In addition, as I mentioned before, wouldn’t all side arm or 3/4 arm slot guys in essence have foreman flyout?

Hey Eric,

In addition, as I mentioned before, wouldn’t all side arm or 3/4 arm slot guys in essence have foreman flyout?

Take a look at Brad Zeigler. I posted 2 images of Zeigler at foot plat and delivery. As you can see, at foot plant Brad’s arm is in the cocked position without forearm fly-out. As he moves into delivery, he lowers his arm into the sidearm position. Arm path is dictated by the trunk and so much of the trunk is dictated by the lower half. Really to change arm slot you have to change the trunk and lower half. Hope this clears up any questions.

Steve

Brad%20Zeigler%20Arm%20CockedBrad%20Zeigler%20Side%20Arm

Here is his video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlOttZS9zsc