Do You Name Your Pitches?

In the early 1900’s there was a pitcher who was every bit a showman and promoter( of himself) as he was a ballplayer. His name was Satchel Paige. Later in his professional career he did a stint in the Majors.

Satchel (not his birth name) gave his pitches names. He called them his Midnight Rider, Midnight Creeper, Jump Ball, Trouble Ball, Hesitation Pitch, Bat Dodger, and others just to name a few.

The man also had the one of the best mindsets in the business when he said -"I never rush myself. See, they can’t start the game without me."

So, you future Major Leaguers got some jazz to your step, some showmanship - what do name your pitches?

Ol ’ Satch’s practically favorite pitch was one he called the “Bee Ball”—because, as he said, "It be where I want it to be."
Maybe I didn’t go that far with naming my pitches, because I was too busy throwing them, but I did name one of them. I had a slider which I nicknamed “Filthy McNasty”, after a character in an old W.C. Fields movie, because that was exactly what it was—86 miles an hour, with a sharp late break, and when on the advice of my wise and wonderful pitching coach I added the crossfire (I was a true natural sidearmer), that pitch was absolutely unhittable. I also threw something called a “slip pitch”, which at bottom was a hard slider thrown with a knuckleball grip, and you should have heard the batters screaming blue murder, not to mention every Class A felony in the book because they couldn’t hit it for sour apples!