Do you believe in this?

So I only thought of this because I’ve really bought into the philosophy of believing in yourself when on the mound recently. I just started realizing that people believe in me(in a sense). For example, the pitching coach at my high school sort of made me his “prodigy”, and he went on to play college ball and has a “famous story” about him(I’ll write in as a comment). Now in this summer league/camp I’m in I’ve become a “special project” of a ex-triple a pitcher and an ex-pro pitcher(they work with me the most).

Anyway the thing I want to know if anyone believes in is this: Alot of people can make it to the majors. It’s just that many of those people don’t have the time, drive, or commitment to go all the way, or just got hurt along the way.

I’m pretty sure I heard that in an interview/documentary following B.J. Upton or Adam jones. At first, I didn’t think much of it, but with this new found “belief/motivation” I have I kinda believe you know? I know that actually believing this is a huge stretch but I’m just interested if anyone else believes this.[/u]

Alright so the story about my high school pitching coach. So during a Yankee game the commentators were talking about the nastiest pitchers they ever faced/played with. They all said these well known pro players but when it got to Ken Singleton they he said something along the lines of, " ehh you’ve never heard of the guy, it was this pitcher I faced back in college. He played for seton hall. This guy billy ____ was the nastiest guy I’ve faced."

I know exactly what you mean… i am a 2013 grad with natural velo… i could always throw the hell out of the ball… my biggest problem has always been my control… my high school pitching coach is my summer coach too and he used to coach big D1 baseball… and i feel like he thinks of me as his project too… i top out at 89-90 with a ton of movement and the control has gotten way better in the past year… my biggest things that i overcame were errors in the field and people getting bad hits off of me… you just have to control yourself on the mound and believe in yourself… coaches can tell if you have been working… so you’ve gotta just keep working and it will all pan out for the best if you’ve got te talent

Satchel Paige once said, "You have to believe in yourself. When you believe, you do."
I’ve seen this often enough—a pitcher who has the stuff, the command, everything it takes—but he doesn’t believe in himself and his abilities, and that’s where the trouble lies. He has all this self-doubt bubbling around in his head, all those "what if"s, the "suppose I get out there on the mound and fizzle"s, the “what if my stuff doesn’t work”, et cetera, et cetera, et cetera—and all this, more than the lack of ability, is what’s going to screw the pooch as far as his pitching is concerned. Conversely, a pitcher who doesn’t have much stuff—maybe a couple of pitches—but who has supreme confidence in himself and his ability to get the hitters out—can and will be highly successful. Look at Mariano Rivera: he has two pitches, that devastating cut fastball and a very good two-seamer which he uses sometines, and he’s practically a strikeout machine, because he can do it and he knows he can do it.
I remember way back, to the time I decided I wanted to know something about the slider. When I asked Ed Lopat—I told him I just wanted to ask him something about the slider—his response was to draw me aside and show me how to throw a good one. It was much more than that; the moment I asked him that question he knew instantly where I was coming from, that I was really interested, really wanted to know and was willing to work at it, and he took me in hand, worked with me and helped me all he could. He knew that I was not particularly fast; he also knew that I was a natural sidearmer and that I had the control and the command, and he showed me how to take full advantage of what I had and could do. And he instilled in me an unshakeable confidence, that sense of being in command on the bump, and it stayed with me for more than twenty years. A really good pitching coach—and he was one of the finest—will do that.
In a sense, I was one of his projects. Many were the times I felt that we were just a couple of pitchers comparing notes; that was what he wanted me to think, and I did, and what I learned from that incredible lefthander was nothing short of priceless. So, by all means, go to it. 8)