Do Rehab workouts make you throw faster?

I haven’t actually been injured (knock on wood) yet, but I heard that doing the tj-surgery rehab workout before getting injured puts a few miles per hour on your fastball. Is this true? If so, what is the typical tj rehab routine?

You hear stories from time to time about how people who’ve had TJ surgery end up throwing harder after their rehab. But two questions immediately come to mind.

First, what are they comparing to? Was it their performance right before their ligament tear that required TJ surgery to correct? If so, they may, in fact, have been partially injured and already suffering a loss of velocity.

Second, what kind of shape were they in before the surgery? Obviously, if they weren’t in very good shape (conditioning, strength, flexibility) then they certainly could have ended up in better shape after the TJ rehab. In this case, it’s most likely the rehab work that helped them throw harder - not the surgery itself.

Dr. Andrews reports that there have been some folks who have actually contemplated having TJ surgery even though they don’t need it just to get the perceived benefits. That, IMHO, is foolish. In your case, if you’re just considering going through the rehab part, I would think that the benefit to be had would depend on your current shape. I would also think you could jump ahead in the rehab program since it starts off with very restricted activities and there would be no need for you to limit your activities since you are, I assume, healthy.

Yea, it’s definitely better not to be injured, I just heard that the workout puts some extra zip on the fastball. You wouldn’t happen to know what the routine is would you?

No, I don’t. But do a search because there have been a few that have posted up about their experiences with TJ surgery.

Yes somewhere in this same forum there was a gentleman who made a thread saying that people could ask whatever questions they wanted to about the surgery and he would answer for them as would others who have either had the surgery or know something about it. But as far as I am concerned, the workouts with the band sometimes add a little zip onto the fastball. It adds flexibility not to mention strength to your rotator cuff. I’ve noticed a little extra zip on my fastball not to mention more break on my off-speed pitches. But also, during the off-season, do some weight lifting. Make sure that you’re smart about it though and don’t overwork yourself or else come season time you’ll be in pain and unable to even go out for try-outs let alone make the team.

EDIT: They also like to use the rehab workouts for Jaeger throwing programs both before and after. Two of their longest members throw 95 and 96 miles an hour, draft picks in the 5th and 6th rounds. They also do 330 ft. long toss every now and then. But I wouldn’t suggest the 330 ft., just listen to your arm and it’ll tell you how far to throw and how long.