Do I have a Future in Baseball if I Don't Make Varsity as a Freshman?

Tryouts are in 30 days. It doesn’t look like this season I will be able to make varsity. Do I still have chances to advance my game? It seems like most players that are good make their varsity team freshman year.

In the amateur ranks, qualifications for high school and other age oriented ball is no guarantee of your prospects. now or in the future.

Sure, it seems that the pecking order for advancements does favor varsity, elite, and other forms of ball, but then again so much depends on the talent that’s actually in the location where your live.

If given half the chance - without to politics, who-you-know, and cronyism you’ll go far by just playing at the very best of your ability - REGARDLESS WHERE THAT PLAY IS.

Don’t sell yourself short, and don’t judge yourself on the judgment by others.

If you play ball that’s worth watching … you’ll be noticed for the worth that you’ll bring to the field and the needs of those watching will take over from there. Trust me on this.

My son a Junior in High School has never played a varsity baseball game yet has already verbaly accepted an offer to a D1 School. Keep working and stay healthy.

Absolutely!!! There are pitchers who have been cut from there HS baseball varsity team and have made it. In the Northeast here it is all about showcase baseball. Very few coaches come to the HS games anymore.

Congratulation Jerp33 for your son!!

Steve

Michael Jordan was cut from his high school varsity basketball team his sophomore year.

:upside_down_face:

At my high school, they won’t even let freshman play varsity most of the time. Usually, the “good” freshman play JV their first year at my school but I can tell you this, there are 4 years of high school and a lot changes during that time. Kids develop and I can tell you, hard work and effort always come through, so if you keep practicing, you can grow and become a talented player. You make your own future. Your determination defines you.

A lot of time left kid. You can still grow a fair amount. A lot can happen. Keep your head up and work hard.

I know a classmate who did not make the Freshman baseball team; did not make Varsity as a sophomore, so he accepted a position as equipment trainer, then made the team his Junior year and started at 2B his Senior year and was a league all-star. That’s just one of many stories about when people bloom or something clicks for them and they just “get it.”

It’s amazing how many good HS teams have absolutely no pure talent on them–absolutely no one scoutable/recruitable on entire teams…in entire leagues. Unfortunately, the best chance to hit on a recruit is at a showcase.

I watched a kid as a freshman who threw 85 get brought up to varsity. His freshman year he had some success. His Sophomore year not so much. His Junior year got knocked around and didn’t pitch his Senior year as he lost all confidence in his ability. He threw gas in Little League and Travel Ball and never learned to pitch. In his case he would have been better off learning to pitch in Freshman and then Junior Varsity before going straight to Varsity.

Of course you do!

Trent Woodward in the Houston Astros comes to mind. A local kid that did not start at our community HS. He was moved to another HS in the area as a Junior and started. He was then off to California State University Fresno and was then drafted in the 20th round in 2014. He went from Rookie to AAA ball. He has left the organization because of a hip issue that required surgery this winter.

Read it in his own words.

As a past High School coach I saw this all the time.

Unless you’re attending a really small school, for the most part the only kids who make varsity as a freshman are those who are 1) exceptionally talented AND 2) physically developed.

The likelihood of both being present in one player is very rare. That being said, it also doesn’t guarantee future success for that one player nor does it preclude success for others. The reason is that players develop at varying rates.

When you speak of high school freshman, you’re talking about 14 year old kids…maybe fifteen. That’s REALLY early in their physical development. At those ages (appx 13-16) you’ll see dramatic developmental changes/differences from month to month let alone year to year.

Their is also the issue of timing. My son (a hs freshman), for example, was born two and a half months premature and has a late June birthday in a state with an Aug 1st academic cutoff. As such, he’s usually one of the youngest kids in his class and should actually still be an eight grader. He lags behind other freshman in physical development but would probably be average amongst eighth graders.

You have to keep all of these factors in mind before drawing a conclusion.

I knew of a young man who worked at a local pizzeria as a high schooler. He barely got off the bench as a high school senior on a very mediocre high school team. Went to a local division 3 school.

This past season, he won a World Series ring with the Houston Astros.

The kids name was Luke Gregorson.