Do all hard throwers throw through the high-cocked position?

Nate Jones goes right to the high-cocked position and pauses. No momentum into shoulder ER at all.

Yet look at the velocity. That’s no joke of a FB! (Santana hit a warning track FB here.)

I don’t think so…

Better brush up on your the physiology, kinematics and kinetics of throwing a baseball.

Have no idea what this means with respect to the point you’re trying to make about momentum??

Last time I checked release point referred to the point in the delivery where the pitcher releases the baseball. Every pitcher no matter what kind delivery he has has a release point, that is if he wants to let go of the baseball.

And no matter what kind of pitch he throws or how hard he throws or what, delivery has he has a release point that he throws through.

Maybe I’m missing something here??

One last point Jones is listed at 6’5" 210 pounds. Jones has what I would call a slinging type arm action. You can throw hard with a slinging type arm action the question is is it the most efficient and also has the potential to affect the kinds of pictures you can throw effectively ( curve, changeup, etc.). He does scapula load. The clip that you posted is missing several frames between scapula load and full external to internal rotation. Jones throws with a very high-level of intent.

Do all pitchers who throw hard have the same mechanics? No of course not.

Do all pitchers who throw hard have to develop a significant amount of momentum?

Yes they do.

Does how you convert that momentum into the throw affect velocity and movement?

Yes it does.

One of the hardest “slingers” ever watch to throw baseball was Matt Anderson of the Tigers. I had a clip of him throwing 103 mph.

[quote]
Anderson was named top prospect in the Cape Cod League in 1996 and was named the 24th best prospect in 1998 by Baseball America. In 1998, he was called up by the Tigers from the minors, where he had an ERA under 0.70. In his first major league season, he went 5–1 with a 3.27 ERA in 42 games. He also struck out 44 batters in 44 innings pitched.

In May 2002, Anderson tore a muscle in the armpit of his throwing arm while throwing a bullpen session.[1] Earlier the same day he had participated in a Tigers-sponsored fan octopus-throwing contest along with Jeff Weaver, leading to the perception (though disputed by Anderson) that he’d torn the muscle in hopes of winning Detroit Red Wings playoff tickets.[2] After returning from the injury, he was unable to hit 90 mph on his fastball in his remaining days in Detroit, after regularly topping 100 mph on the radar gun, including a high mark of 103 mph twice.[3][/quote]

Bottom line, canceling his throw hard especially if they have size, yes they can.

I think he’s referring to continuous motion of the throwing arm from first movement through to release and follow-through and not just from the instant of release and forward.

It’s obvious that arms don’t stop at release.

Momentum is generated not with the arm, but with the body traveling down the mound and how quickly and efficiently the pitcher can transfer momentum and weight from the drive leg to the bracing leg. Having a pause in the arm can have at most a minimal effect on velocity as long as it happens before the weight shift.

This pitcher has a very violent hip turn as well helping maintain energy generated from the lower half and translating up through the core.

My memory was a little fuzzy. I do remember Anderson throwing the crap out of the ball but it was Billy Koch who also threw 100 mph that was the slinger that I was thinking of.

The title of the post should be “do all hard throwers throw through the high-cocked position.” My mistake. Not sure how that happened - on Twitter I had it correct. Must have been a late-night brain fart! (The title has since been changed.)

Anyway, my point is that increased vER is not required to throw at elite velocities.

Kind of looks to me like the position at which he pauses is not the high-cocked position. After the pause, he flexes his elbow and then goes through what looks more like the stereotypical high-cocked position.

Keith Foulke may be a better example. He drew his arm directly back with the palm facing down. And then went to the throwing position.