Division 1 Baseball

Okay well my dream is to play Division One Baseball. I am a 16 year old 5 ft 10 inch Jr at a Quad A school and ive been starting since my sophmore year. My fastball is 80-83 and i top at 85. I have a good curveball, slider and changeup. I was just wondering if looking to play D1 is within my reach or should i lower my goals. I would like your honest opinion. Thanks

Yes your goal is possible. You have plenty of time to get better and get noticed. What year are you? and if you don’t mind answering what state are you from?

Im a JR and im from PA,(Pittsburgh Area)

I think if you get your velocity up 5 or 6 mph before your SR year you could definitely play D1. Velocity doesn’t always determine what level you will play at though. I know a couple players that sit 81-83 and got D1 schollies for pitching just because they have good location, stuff, and mechanics.

Also there are plenty of low level and high level D1s in your area. If you really wanna play start talking to coaches and maybe go to a couple showcase camps before your JR. season. You gotta get yourself out there and get noticed!

[quote=“R H P22”]I think if you get your velocity up 5 or 6 mph before your SR year you could definitely play D1. Velocity doesn’t always determine what level you will play at though. I know a couple players that sit 81-83 and got D1 schollies for pitching just because they have good location, stuff, and mechanics.

Also there are plenty of low level and high level D1s in your area. If you really wanna play start talking to coaches and maybe go to a couple showcase camps before your JR. season. You gotta get yourself out there and get noticed![/quote]

Ive been to a few little showcases and have been invited to some big showcases but ive been told to wait till my sr year for them because usually underclassmen get passed up at the bigger showcases

What is the main reason you want to go D1? Is it because you want to go to a bigger school, you want ‘better’ competition, a better chance at getting drafted out of college? Obviously the big D1 schools like USC, Texas, FS, ASU is some of the best baseball you can play at in the country. But there are plenty of good D3 schools that can whoop up on low end D1 schools. Competition really varies in college when it comes to divisions, so if you wanted better competition, or a better chance at getting drafted D1 isn’t ALWAYS the best route to go.

As for your ability to play at a D1 school, I would recommend getting your velocity sitting at least in the mid to upper 80s, 90+ would be ideal but it really just depends on what kind of D1 school you want to attend. But remember its NOT all about velocity, if you show you can locate your low 80’s fastball with movement you can pitch almost anywhere.

From personal experience I thought all of Jr yr up until the start of Sr year was the best time to go to showcases. They are a good way to get exposed but I feel since you don’t get to pitch all that many innings coaches tend to focus in a little more on velocity and not how well you can actually pitch. To get the most exposure I would start contacting the schools you want to attend now, through email or over the phone. Keep them posted on a regular basis with how you have been doing over the season. The more you update them the more they will see your name, even if they do just keep it in the back of their head.

well the main reason that i want to go D1 is its just something that i want to prove to myself. And its just a high goal that i have to work hard for. The level of competition is another thing, when i play vs better teams i play better because i wanna be the best that i can so i push myself when it really matters

I know I have said this before to others but would you want to play D1 at a school with a education that isn’t the best, or one of the D2 schools with a good baseball program and a top quality education, many of you really need to put the advantage of the education before the quality of the baseball. Your future will 999/1000 depend on that education vs your baseball ability or being at a D1 school.

yeah well i actually have been talking to a bunch of coaches and what not, and i think that actually a DII would be best for me

DI, DII whatever you will be playing “College Baseball”,boo yaaa.

Have you checked into JUCO and NAIA schools too? For a lot of players JUCO really work out well because of the lower cost of those pesky lower division courses that everyone has to take no matter what, and NAIA schools offer one heck of a lot of scholarships. The thing is, its not at all unusual for player to excel in one of those venues to get noticed, then move into a big D1 program.

There are a lot of ways to go.

Yes. Mid 80s is actually pretty good for your age and is where I was. To be a top Div 1 prospect, you’ll need to be throwing 90 by the end of the summer of your junior year - and you need to be doing it in front of the right people. Remember, early signing period when a majority of top D1 college scholarship $$ is handed out is late fall of your senior year, well before the spring baseball season. Keep working hard! You can certainly do it, but don’t let one day slip by!

Well im attending the Ed Santa showcase this weekend in WV. So im hoping that will put me on the right track with getting more college looks

I think one major thing you need to do is work on your confidence. I’m not trying to bring you down but if you need to ask whether or not you have the ability to do something then you probably wont. Yes talent obviously has a lot to do with it but not trusting yourself to work hard to get to a D1 level and to not settle for less plays a far larger part in the process. There is a great quote by Henry Ford that I think you should take to heart. “Whether You Think You Can or Can’t, You’re Right”. Just have confidence and trust the process, dont get too caught up in all of it and forget to focus on the task at hand which is the next pitch you throw.

No, i think i can and im going to work as hard as i can. But i just wanted to know by what my skill level is and stuff if other people think that it is in my reach

who cares if they believe it is or not. If someone says that it probably isn’t are you going to decide that you don’t want to work for it anymore?