Dissecting pitching mechanics

I need to work on keeping my head over my belly button to improve my control. I have awesome velocity, just gotta learn how to throw the hummer for quality strikes.

Two things I have noticed:

1. Getting the ball up in the delivery.
  2. Following through to get the chest over the lead leg.

The worst thing I can think of is when the kids look at their feet, or the runner after they have committed to home. What more useless piece is this to actually look at the runner while throwing home? This may actually hesitate the runner, but what it more likely does is create a situation where the pitcher struggles to get ahead in the count. When runners are on you want your best location and velocity. If you worry about the runner, then mix the time you sit in the set position, because it can ruin the rhythm for the runner. Whatever the situation is, as soon as you commit to a pitch, make it your best. That is my belief.

One of the most important things to do when analyzing pitching mechanics is to video the pitcher.
This way, you can slow the video down and you have a better chance of catching his mistakes.
The pitcher can see then what he is doing wrong,
and correct his mistakes.
(Also, the pitcher can see his own mistakes, and realize that the coach or person who is watching him is not just criticizing him)
:clapping: :clap:

This could use some new life to the discussion. It seems it was dropped before it really had a chance to flourish.

Lower half both engagement and syncing with the torso with efficiency.
Followed by getting to a comfortable and efficient arm action after “learning” a poor or harmful one.
Lower half engagement is by far the “thing” most mid-level hs 80+ guys need to get them in a position where they “can” both carry the load and get to upper 80’s or 90’s by college. Zita refers to it as “The Secret”… I don’t know if its a secret but it takes strength and dexterity.

When dissecting my own mechanics, I look at the side view(front view if I’m in my dorm room working on stuff).

I look at three main things, which can be broken down into more things:

-position at footplant
-max external rotation
-finish/release point

Obviously these are board categories that many things can be picked within them, but these are the basic categories all my focuses fall within most of the time

-counter rotation during the leg lift
-out of alignment at foot strike
-hand up too early
-hip and shoulder synchronization
-poor use of the glove side
-lack of trunk flexion
-torso too low during shoulder rotation
-elbow even with or lagging behind the torso