Different styles of pitching mechanics?

This is my first post, and I look forward to your replies. First, let me say that I have much more experience in the softball world. But now my 10yo son has decided he would like to pitch like his big sister, so I need to start doing some research. For my daughter, we sought out an instructor who teaches a method of pitching that is fluid and uses the natural lower body strength of a woman to get power into the pitches. It doesn’t rely on unnatural shoulder or elbow whips, therefore there are far fewer injuries.

Are there different schools of pitching mechanics when it comes to baseball? If yes, which do you recommend and why? I will say that while my son pitches pretty efficiently using the traditional overhand method, his natural tendency is to throw side arm. I don’t know if that’s something we want to encourage or not, since I don’t know of potential injury risks vs. other methods.

Thank you in advance!!

Whatever delivery he finds natural is usually the best bet. The problem becomes if his sequencing is incorrect. It becomes a lot more difficult to find someone who can correct a sidearm sequencing problem. It’s easier to find someone who is experienced in a more traditional delivery. No matter what, there is a lot of snake oil that can be found along the way.

If you play catch a certain way and he’s had someone to model after, then he should be on track to develop as normal.

In general, I’m not a fan of elbow below the shoulder delivery methods, but that’s just me.

The sidearm throwing is something he’s come into by himself as both his Dad and I throw traditionally. We do watch a ton of baseball on TV, so I know he’s seen some pros doing it. He may just think it’s “cool” to throw that way :slight_smile:

I think Coach is right on the money…not many side-armers out there and finding someone who can teach proper overhand delivery is hard enough.
I think your thoughts on why your son wants to sidearm are likely spot-on. I would strongly encourage you to discourage this delivery. If he plays any other position his body is having to learn to master two different styles of throwing; kids struggle to learn one well. I think most side-armers choose this style because they have failed to be successful coming over the top either due to lack of velocity or injury.

After warming up put him at shortstop. Hit him about 20 ground balls and have him throw it to first as hard as he can. The arm slot he uses for those throws would be what I would recommend for pitching at his age.