Diet with Creatine

Im 16, 6ft 160lb and just started taking creatine pills. My question is :What foods complement creatine the best?

I should start off with things not to take with creatine:

You shouldn’t injest the creatine with orange juice or any citrus drinks.
The acid content breaks down the creatine into useless creatinine.

Creatine is merely a supplement. The best foods to Completment creatine would just really be a good diet. Without taking in good foods, creatine on it’s own won’t really do a whole lot for you.

Take in quality complex carbohydrates, fruits, vegetables, and plenty of protein to help your muscles repair and grow.

Oh and also make sure you drink lots of water, your muscles are more likely to retain water with creatine and thus you will probably need more in order to stay properly hydrated.

And finally one thing that should be avoided is the more is better approach. You realy only need 5 grams of the stuff, in many cases even less. Taking in much more creatine than that results in waste and it is just excreted from the body.

What kind of creatine are you taking?

Monohydrate in cap form? How many mg/grams per cap?

A healthy diet complements creatine…

What’s your diet like now? Post what foods you normally eat on a daily basis…

Just a general list…

All whole grain breads, buns
PBJ
whole grain pasta
lean burgers
green beans, potatoes

just a side note, im taking sci fit’s kre-alkalyn 1500 and it has been working great.

As much as I like this forum and believe that the people who post here are straight up; I don’t think it’s the best place to ask for advice on supplementing with creatine. You should talk to a Doctor about the pros and cons (potential risks) and what’s best for your body.

Most doctors won’t have any idea what krealkalyn is, let alone how to advise their patients on its use.

Creatine is a supplement that has been mislabelled in public perception for a long time. I can remember in high school people saying that creatine was “dangerous” or seriously harmful to a young person. The consequences of the supplement were heavily overstated and so were the effects. To be honest, creatine is not a very important supplement. It might give you 1 or 2 more reps per set in a workout. It wont build your muscles any bigger or stronger. It is simply a tool, much like a multivitamin or protein shake, to help you acheive a goal. As long as you follow the directions for use and drink plenty of water, there are no side effects to worry about.

That being said, I really dont see the reason for creatine when you are 16. You are at a peak in your testosterone levels, so you should be able to put on muscle and gain strength relatively easily. Diet and strength training are the two most important aspects to be focused on- if either is lacking then creatine wont help.

(Note: I used Kre-Alkalyn for a full cycle last summer. The effects didnt warrant spending the $ again.)

There is no reason not find an opinion from a doctor (sports medicine preferably) who does know about creatine. There is some indication that creatine use can be problematic in the kidneys for some people.

In any case, the point is to find qualified people so that an informed decision can be made regarding it’s use one way or another. An on line forum isn’t the best place to receive information.

I understand where your coming from, and believe you should atleast fully educate yourself about something, if not consult a doctor before adding something foreign into your body.

I would also like to mirror what KC said about doctos often knowing very little. My doctor actually has a son in college baseball and was an athlete himself.

He told me I shouldn’t even take protein powder cause it could be harmful.
He didn’t really give a clear or logical reason for his statement.

Protein powder is merely consentrate/isolated milk proteins in powder form.

Also I agree with KC that the dangers are overstated and the public is misinformed, however I still don’t like how there don’t have any extremely long term evidence of effects. Although they do have one of people supplementing with it for 3 years with zero problems.

I think that you should work to EDUCATE yourself on things, heck with the internet it doesn’t take much work to find quality information. That being said, I spent months trying and trying to find a negative study on creatine, found many positives, never really came across a negative though.

I myself use creatine mono. I’m extremely light, and I’m looking to get every edge I can in gaining weight, and feel it has helped. I don’t know a huge amount of volume so I really couldn’t vouch for how much longer it allows you to lift. I’m confident I heal quicker while supplementing with it though, and I do feel like my sets maintain their quality.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/creatine/NS_patient-creatine

The link above is a reputable source.

[quote=“Papibon”]http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/creatine/NS_patient-creatine

The link above is a reputable source.[/quote]

Good post, and good resource.

The consult a doctor is always the safe and proper answer, I agree. And they mention it as well.

It should also be noted that they even include how it’s beneficial to combat various diseases. I believe they’re finding information that it may help to prevent alzheimer’s as well.

They’re evaluation of athletic performance is interesting. They state that it’s a negative that is does nothing for aerobic endurance. However, that has never been why anyone wanted creatine, and has never been a factor.
As far as the studies go it is understandable that they critisice the lack of cohesiveness in the various studies. There are just so many hundreds of variables that could potentially knock studies off.
I do think that this is by far the supplement with the most potential shown in studies though, even if they choose to call it "inconclusive"
Even if it’s inconclusive it’s still 70% positive 30% nothing. I don’t necessarily see that as a negative.

Those are just my thoughts, I am far from any knowledgable source, but I think one should keep in mind that the FDA and such clinic’s endorse various PERSCRIPTION drugs and then they later find out they are useless or harmful.

I would actually like if the FDA added some regulation, just an all seeing eye sort of thing to guarentee quality. I would pay a few dollars more for that.

my advice to anyone having a hard time gaining weight and strength at an early age - i went through the same thing, actually still am slightly at age 24. But sit on your ass a lot, don’t do endurance stuff for the sake of doing endurance stuff, if youre strictly a baseball player. BUT when you do work out etc, work out like a freaking animal. hit your core, legs hard, and tons of protein. I always had a hard time keeping food down. I would throw it up, or poop it out so fast I just could never put on any weight. Finally my metabolism is not crazy anymore and I can slowly enjoy getting up to 220 to 230 hopefully in the next couple of years. And with that, hopefully adds a few more mph to my crazy wild fastball.

So in conclusion, eat, eat more, and work out hard. Not a lot, but super hard when you do. Like to the point that you would go if someone was about to kill your family if you didnt. Hows that? :slight_smile: