Did anybody else see this?

Personally, I don’t think it’s right to make a kid who is “too good” not be able to play in his home league with his friends. What do you guys think?

That’s horrible. Not letting a kid play baseball. Every kid should be allowed to play baseball, because it’s America’s past time.

“Horrible” isn’t the word for the situation.
If, as they say, the league is a “developmental” one (i.e. strictly for beginners), and the kid is much more advanced than the rest of the bunch—even more advanced than his friends—he really belongs in a higher-echelon league, say 11-to-14 Little League or something similar. It’s just that kind of thinking as evidenced by the administrators or whoever is in charge that discourages kids from playing the game, let alone advancing—no wonder so many give up on the game!

I saw this article on Mike and Mike this morning. I couldnt believe my ears. Golic was ready to go to Connecticut and kick some ass lol.

But seriously, how can you not allow a 9 year old to play baseball because he pitches too fast? I remember seeing a video on this site this morning on an 8 year old who supposedly throws in the 50’s. He’s a year younger, and everyone is fine with that. (no disrespect to the 8 year old or his father who were mentioned, its just an example)

I think it has a lot to do with the kid declining the offer to join the defending champ team, which is complete BS. When a 9 year old isnt allowed to play baseball in the United States, not because he is a problem child, or a safety hazard, but because he is “too good”, there is something seriously wrong.

I topped out in the 50’s when i was 9 years old, and nobody had a problem with that. It is pathetic to tell a kid he cant pitch because he is too good. Sounds to me that the other teams are just tired of getting whipped by this kid and are acting like little babies about it.

They were saying on SportsCenter thats its wrong (of course) and if they don’t want him top play then bring him up to the older age group.

I remember hearing the commentators during a Yanks game say of a guy from Minnesota possibly I forgot that hit the ball so hard in little league they wouldn’t let him play. They said he was lucky he stuck with baseball a lot of kids would have just quit.

why didnt he get moved up to like middle school maybe
if he is that good

maybe the other team were punks

[quote=“kelvinp”]why didnt he get moved up to like middle school maybe
if he is that good[/quote]

That’s not the point. The kid isnt doing anything wrong, all he is doing is playing his position quite well. If he doesn’t want to move up and play with the bigger kids, he shouldn’t have to. Just because you’re level of skill is at an advanced level, your social skills might not be. Maybe he would feel out of place playing with older kids, or maybe all his friends are on his current team.

He shouldn’t have to go anywhere if he doesnt want to.

[quote=“BleedBlueNOrange”]
That’s not the point. The kid isnt doing anything wrong, all he is doing is playing his position quite well. If he doesn’t want to move up and play with the bigger kids, he shouldn’t have to. Just because you’re level of skill is at an advanced level, your social skills might not be. Maybe he would feel out of place playing with older kids, or maybe all his friends are on his current team.

He shouldn’t have to go anywhere if he doesnt want to.[/quote]

Well said. However, the reason he isn’t playing isn’t because he’s too good, it’s because his coach broke the rules and his mother freaked out. Read the article if you haven’t, or if you think he got banned for being good.

The kid played 2nd base in a game and no one tried to stop him. As usual, we are only hearing part of the story, and when only one side is heard, you get a chance to jump to conclusions and make judgments and assumptions unwarranted by the facts of the case.

Hose

[quote]it’s because his coach broke the rules and his mother freaked out. Read the article if you haven’t, or if you think he got banned for being good.
[/quote]

i didnt see this in the article
what i read was what i heard on the news
his mom freaked cause officials wouldnt let him pitch
explain how the coach broke the rules

[quote=“kelvinp”][quote]it’s because his coach broke the rules and his mother freaked out. Read the article if you haven’t, or if you think he got banned for being good.
[/quote]

i didnt see this in the article
what i read was what i heard on the news
his mom freaked cause officials wouldnt let him pitch
explain how the coach broke the rules[/quote]

Click the link and read the article then. Don’t expect me to break it down any simpler for you.

Hose

That’s BS, the kid still should be entitled to play the game he loves with the teammates he loves. That is just wrong to ban the kid from a league because kids are scared of the ball. Perhaps the coaches need to teach the kids not to be afraid of the ball. That seems to me that that’s the problem. Kids and parents are afraid of the ball so they want to get rid of the hard thrower, so are you going to ban Legion pitchers for throwing 90+? Are you going to ban 13-15 yr. olds for throwing 80 MPH? It’s ridiculous.

Especially so if you haven’t read the article.

Hose

I’m sure a court of law will ultimately decide the legality of the League decision to keep the kid from pitching. But the the coaches actions were what brought about the disbanding of the team, not the kid’s fastball.

The coach put the kid on the mound after having been told not to by the League representatives, thus inviting enforcement of the League’s decision.

The mother, rather than taking the high road and coming to an understanding with the League, or barring that, taking legal action, blew her cork and contributed pissy icing to an ugly crap cake.

It seems evident that the kid was an innocent victim of a pissing match between coach and league. All the parties should be ashamed of themselves.

The real crime here is the lessons that the kid is learning at the tender age f 9. Will the real grown-ups please, please stand up?

Hose[/youtube]

Hose[/quote]
I’m pretty sure they mean couldn’t pitch as couldn’t play. That or I totally missed something in that article and I’m pretty sure I didn’t. I’d like you to point it out for me.

[quote]Click the link and read the article then. Don’t expect me to break it down any simpler for you.
[/quote]

i read it

i didnt see this
mom freaked cause they wouldnt let her kid pitch
his coach didnt stop him officials did

Hose[/quote]
I’m pretty sure they mean couldn’t pitch as couldn’t play. That or I totally missed something in that article and I’m pretty sure I didn’t. I’d like you to point it out for me.[/quote]

Says right in the article that the kid played second base after the league decided to stop him from pitching. It was during the following game when the coach inserted the player as a pitcher that the other team pulled their kids and forfeited, causing the ensuing mom-freak show and league consequences.

“League officials say they first told Vidro that the boy could not pitch after a game on Aug. 13. Jericho played second base the next game on Aug. 16. But when he took the mound Wednesday, the other team walked off and a forfeit was called”.

Hose

This whole thing makes me want to puke, the coach is a jerk, mom is wrong, why isn’t he playing 12u? My boy played up…I’ve seen it hundreds of times with no comments…I’ll tell you why…cause momma wanted Jr. to be the greatest in his group…and they say dads have ego problems.
It isn’t like he’s done…no more baseball for life…I’m with Hose, a pox on all of their houses…buncha non-grown-ups. 40mph at the next level equals a whole bunch of round-trippers.

[quote=“kelvinp”][quote]Click the link and read the article then. Don’t expect me to break it down any simpler for you.
[/quote]

i read it

i didnt see this
mom freaked cause they wouldnt let her kid pitch
his coach didnt stop him officials did[/quote]

Don’t be dense. The coach put the kid on the mound in the third game after he, the coach, had been informed that the kid was not to pitch - thereby breaking the rules.

You see, in a republican democracy (like we have right here in the good ol’ US of A) the idea is that your elected officials are supposed to make these decisions - that’s what they’re elected for. League officials are elected. If you don’t like their decisions you have the option of getting someone else elected (including possibly yourself), playing in another league (or sport), or hanging up the cleats. You also have the right as a coach to protest this decision, but not by putting an innocent kid into the eye of the storm! by putting the kid on the mound even after you as the coach have been notified of the league decision to ban him from the mound. This coach is the one who should be banned.

From the mother’s reaction I assume she was aware of the coaches decision, or at the very least supported his decision to go against the league ruling.

“Don’t do the crime if you can’t do the time”. In other words, break the rules if you like, but don’t complain when you have to face the consequences.

Hose