Dick mills on tim lincecum and roy oswalt

I think he is right what do you think?

http://www.pitching.com/blog/164/tim-lincecum-how-his-mechanics-not-arm-strength-equal-95-100-mph-fastballs/

forget about the balance point step back lift your leg then get your body to explode toward home plate.

I agree with the concept of “getting it going” to build up momenutm and lengthen the stride. Of course, House teaches the same concept so this is not unique to Mills. But I don’t necessarily agree with some of Mills’ other ideas. Mills seems to say that strength isn’t important at all and I don’t buy that. I also disagree with his notion that drills have no value.

well i think Dick Mills is right about drills. Flat Ground throwing, balance drills and many more don’t do the same thing as pitching on a mound. It makes sence to me be explosive with your delivery don’t waste time on slowing down the body to get to the balance point when you should explode through the balance point not stay at it.

Dick Mills has got it right and he defends his points pretty well and I think strength does have something to do with it but you miss read what he was saying.

Dick Mills was saying you have to be strong but you dont need to have a wild amount of strength to throw a 5oz ball. You have to be fit to pitch not super strong like roger clemens.

all true.
i HAD a pitching instructor who made me do these balance drills for 30 minutes a day. He made me into a mechancial freak and was throwin like 78 mph so i ditched him and went back to my normal 88-90 mph fastball

hes right.100 agree

thank you raw talent you are a you good example of the drills slowing you down and making you throw lesss explosivly.

I agree with you that the balance point drill is bogus. But I have trouble labeling ALL drills as nonbeneficial.

roger so what drills do you think are benefical to pitching?

only drill i can think of is maximizing your striding with full power off a mound with no ball.

And what is the name of that drill? RAW Talent

stride drill LOL

Depends on what you’re trying to accomplish. If you need to make a mechanical adjustment, drills are often useful to establish the new movement before taking it to the hill. This is especially true for young pitchers.

For example, I have a pitcher on my travel team that has more of a cartwheel motion with his upper body instead of just shoulder rotation. When he pitches, it looks a little bit like he’s shot putting. I can use the knee drill to have him get use to throwing by rotating the shoulders in a more level plane because the knee drill takes the lower half out of the equation which means if he cartwheels then he falls down. So he’s forced to not cartwheel. I would follow this with some flat gound throwing to help him progress from the drill to throwing on the feet. And that would be followed by taking it to the mound. I feel this pitcher’s cartwheel motion is ineffecient and affects both his velocity and control. So, in this case, the use of drills can help with velocity. Maybe you could say it helps restore velocity that was being lost due to an inefficiency.

Roger couldn’t you have him while he is throwing off the mound show him what he is doing wrong by video taping him so he gets feedback then tell him how to fix it and how to do it right at full speed.

Why do drills when you have nothing to fix?
Why do Drills when you can video tape see what you are doing wrond then fix it ?

Do batter’s do drills when they are struggling No they watch video tape of mechaincs and they keep swinging away it should be the same as pitching.

[quote=“RIstar”]Roger couldn’t you have him while he is throwing off the mound show him what he is doing wrong by video taping him so he gets feedback then tell him how to fix it and how to do it right at full speed.

Why do drills when you have nothing to fix?
Why do Drills when you can video tape see what you are doing wrond then fix it ?

Do batter’s do drills when they are struggling No they watch video tape of mechaincs and they keep swinging away it should be the same as pitching.[/quote]

When there are so many things to do in one motion it’s extremely difficult to make a change at full speed without changing something else that you wanted to leave alone.

Young players have fairly limited motor control especially compared to the major league pitcher. They aren’t capable of syncronizing such a complicated movement at full speed. This is when breaking down a motion becomes beneficial.

They are effective in certain applications and thus you can’t rule them out completely, like Roger said.

Who says hitters do not use drills? There’s generally tee work with different short toss and timing drills. It is incredibly hard to teach a young hitter to go the other way without incorporating some sort of drill.

boy i did a video analysis like 2 months ago
and wow did i think my mechanics were good!
they were awful
not using my legs was short arming it and was actually using all arm
now im more explosive

I actually bought my Dick Mills program in early April, and one of the noticable change I made is that my movement before landing is explosive and my stride length is 108% of my height. I now throw at 77mph range. Which is a big jump from 71mph range

My 2 cents worth. I agree with Mills on drills only to the point where they take a component out of the holistic context. The drills I believe are beneficial would be those that are part of reverse progressions where the drill is at the beginning of a sequence that continues with the pitching motion to its conclusion, throwing the ball. It’s a matter of transfer effectiveness.

Name me a couple of those things that you don’t get better by slowly working through it once or twice…I have this recurring image in my mind of a pole vaulter…going 100% every single time without first going slowly through the motion. Setting his steps in his minds eye…heck even sprinters who you’d think would be only going full gas benefit from slowly working through the mechanics of what they do, why is pitching such a unique athletic movement that it doesn’t benefit from a practice of learning through steps which, even though they may not be identical at full speed…still help the body understand the movement…in martial arts they refer to it as “Forms” and it is so important that they assign it equal status to actual fighting. I don’t get it.
It would seem to me (And this also includes Mr Ristar…whom has recently written of his arm issues) that attempting to learn and adjust any mechanics at full speed, without first understanding how you want your body to move, might just, by some percentage, depending on circumstance, increase risk potential for injury.
I don’t have a study to prove or quantify this statement but it would seem logical to me, just based on the “learning” of any other athletic movement always (Excepting pitching or some other example you have) has some form of drill which doesn’t replicate at 100% in the exact same format .i.e. mound, accompanying the effort to increase in skill.
How good at golf do you think anyone would be without a few slow practice swings prior to addressing the ball?

Ok the reason baseball is such a different sport is when you do drills the mind thinks of that as a different activity then on the mound so how would doing a drill help your pitching if they are 2 different things.

Did you here what raw talent said or not? I my sel fwas doing little drills for my leg lift and all it did was mess me up and slow me down I stoped doing the drill and added about 10 mph like that because all i focused on was a long stride and no balance point which slows you down.

If you want to throw hard then you have to be explosive with the body and not slow down. You are a runner you slow down your mechaincs what does that do it slows you down. speed your mechaincs up and fly through the balance point and tell me you don’t add mph and use your body better.

also my arm is not a problem and it wasn’t because of my mechaincs it was because I was overused and didn’t do tubing to condition the shoulder/elbow.

If you want the pitcher to fix a problem then video tape them. Show them the right way to do it then have them make the change you would be suprised what a young pitcher can do if you told them and showed them what was wrong.

Here’s another Japanese pitcher who is very explosive… well it seems that he stays on balance position a little long but he definetly is explosive. Maybe more than Dice-K

http://www.mncast.com/mainFrame.asp?mainSubMenu=/player/index.asp?mnum=1873801