Dick Mills Complete Pitching Instruction Program

Have any of you purchased Dick Mills Complete Pitching Instruction Program and used it or looked through it? i really wanna buy it b/c i have heard some good testimnials
however im not sure if it can really boost it 6-12 MPH

any thoughts bout him
do u think his program can work

loco, If you put into it an effort that is genuine and work as hard as you possibly can, you’ll find it a benefit, this is true for any other guru programs out there…including Stevens Tuff Cuff (Though Steven is not by definition a guru nor does he act like one :smiley: ). If you buy it and it sits or you put less than your best into it you may not feel like it was worth the effort/money…baseball is desire…put into action.

It is to laugh!
I keep hearing about how this one and that one is the be-all and the end-all, how each one thinks he has all the answers, blah, blah, blah, and I keep thinking about that old poem about the blind men and the elephant. I think I mentioned it once before—it’s about six blind men who encounter an elephant. The first one grabs the elephant’s leg and announces that the elephant is like a tree. The second one grabs the elephant’s trunk and says the elephant is like a rope. And so on. The whole point is contained in the last two lines:
"Though each was partly in the right,
"They all were in the wrong."
And I have to laugh. No one has all the answers. I’ve read some of this material, and my only response is “HUH?” I firmly believe that there is an answer, and that is to get together with a really good pitching coach—preferably, as I’ve said before, an active pitcher, one who will take into account where you’re coming from, what kind of stuff you have and what you can do with it, and who will work with you and show you how to make the most of it.
There’s an expression—“There’s more than one way to skin a cat.” This comes from gymnastics and refers to a maneuver on, I believe, the parallel bars, which can be performed correctly four different ways. And so it is here. You take a look at four different pitchers—each one does something a little different, but all of them get the batters out and win games.
I’ll be back in a few days—I’m headed for Cleveland and the 38th SABR convention. Take care, all of you—I’ll be back on the boards on Tuesday. :greenmartian:

Mills’ program is based on research and not his own theories solely. Go ahead and bash his research but he does use sound research from other sources. He does admit a change to his philosophy and it is based on research. He doesn’t instruct every movement the pitcher should make but basically the beginning and ending, what you do as a pitcher to fill in those spots is up to your natural movement. Pitchers still lead with the hip under Mills’ system.
I purchased tuff cuff along with the pitching ebook in 2007 and still advocate its use but it’s not the bible of pitching and Steven doesn’t proclaim it to be.
Mills has some valid points of working off the mound and not flat ground as there are differences that can’t be transferred between the two.
He makes several references to the Japanese-Korean pitchers who work long and can pitch longer and with less rest than the Americans. They do use more momentum and not so much slow and controlled, which Mills believes inhibits velocity along with places more stress on the arm.
It’s good to question and learn different theories of pitching but you can’t change weekly and expect to become a polished pitcher.
If Slader becomes a momentum pitcher, i’ll keep this site posted as to his progress. We have had the information in hand for just a few days and haven’t had time to make the adjustments.
I will say that Slader’s velocity has increased since he began using tuff cuff last winter. Without having the luxury of a radar gun i would say he reaches low 80’s at his peak but mainly upper 70’s. 9 months before tuff cuff he maxed in training sessions at 67. Slade has changed physically also during this phase as he has lost 20 pounds of “baby” fat and is lean and solid at 6’4" 200#, 15 years old.
Honestly, I am excited about Mills’ program.
Slader’s Dad

I would question these claims. First, I’ve heard that while they may pitch a lot, we only see the few that survive. I’ve heard they have arm injuries just like we do.

Second, as far as using momentum is concerned, it seems to me most of the Japanese pitchers in MLB have some sort of pause or “hitch” in their delivery.

[quote]It’s good to question and learn different theories of pitching but you can’t change weekly and expect to become a polished pitcher.
If Slader becomes a momentum pitcher, i’ll keep this site posted as to his progress. We have had the information in hand for just a few days and haven’t had time to make the adjustments.
I will say that Slader’s velocity has increased since he began using tuff cuff last winter. Without having the luxury of a radar gun i would say he reaches low 80’s at his peak but mainly upper 70’s. 9 months before tuff cuff he maxed in training sessions at 67. Slade has changed physically also during this phase as he has lost 20 pounds of “baby” fat and is lean and solid at 6’4" 200#, 15 years old.
Honestly, I am excited about Mills’ program.
Slader’s Dad[/quote]
Glad to hear Slader is developing and improving. Good luck to him!

I agree on arm injuries and yes Mills does mention that the Japanese pitchers do pause/hitch. Thanks for bringing that up.

The main difference I see between Steven’s program, NPA, and Mills is the momentum issue. I believe all encourage a long stride and similiar body position/alignment. Most pitchers would benefit from any of those programs. I won’t touch on drills, off-season training, and long-toss theories.

I do believe video analysis, which i’ve done before Mills suggested it, does help the pitcher.

I want to post a few clips of Slader once I figure out how to, I believe my PC is missing something…or maybe it’s me!

I have purchashed Rushall’s e-book on momentum pitching and I own an older version of the Mills explosive pitching DVD’s. His material, like any other countless names, Ron Wolforth, Paul Nyman, Tom House, etc.etc. are worth taking a look at. Study them all and be willing to experiment. I use the Momentum pitching motion like a teaching tool. It can help with players who can’t understand how to use their larger bady parts, legs, torso to pitch. It can also help with alignment. They are amazed how such simple movements allow them to acheive velocities equal to their super high leg kicks and various twist and turns. I don’t convert my pitchers I just introduce them to different possibilities and let them adopt what works for them. They begin to realize how they might be able to use their body differently to improve their motion.