DI overrated?

For anybody hoping to go pro after college baseball just want to throw out there that Billy Wagner was DIII. Granted he dominated, but nevertheless he was DIII. He also was a 1st round pick. So I just basically wanted to say that you don’t have to go DI to be drafted. I think that many people believe that you have to go DI to play professional.

Generally speaking you don’t have to go DI to play professional. However, the largest percent of college drafted players are either DI or JUCO. The JUCO players are just as good but not qualified academically. The smallest percentage are DII and DIII.

Many college pitchers transfer from JUCO to DI or DII.

Professional scouts have connections throughout the collge ranks. Yes, they are following kids at the DI level but a scout wants to find someone like Billy Wagner and sign him. JUCO’s and some DII’s and DIII’s can dominate some of the DI programs.

How bout this statement? DI schools in the north are overrated. Southern schools place far more professionals than do northern schools. Heck if you took California, Texas and Florida out of the mix, you’d have most of the draft wiped out.

Good points Dino-Reno.

But I still wouldn’t say that D-1 is overrated. I went to a D-1 school and it’s still the best four years of my life, more so than any of the 6 I spent in pro ball.

It helps to go D1 if you want to go pro just because you get a little more exposure but if you’re good enough you can go pro at any level. d1, d2, d3, Juco, NAIA if you’re good enough and pursue it you can play some level of pro ball.

I agree with ZW. D1s help in the exposure department, especially if you are fortunate enought to go to the CWS. The bigger programs that have a history of pro caliber players get looked at more( ASU, USC, UCLA, etc…) Not that you dont get exposure at the D2s and 3s. If you are good and playing at the college level someone will find you.

if you are a position player, d1 is the way to go. the best amateur pitchers play that league. you are right about playing in the super conferences, sec, pac-10, big-12. you will find out if you can play.

a pitcher can pitch at the lower levels, but it’s better to play juco first before going to a d2 or 3 in my opinion. but the first order of business is you have to play. you don’t get better watching.

What D1 school did you go to, Hammer?

Thou shall not tell you!

There are a definitely more than one way to get into professional baseball. I’ve played minor league ball for 4 years now (as high as AA) and I played at a mid major D-1 school. I signed my pro contract with the Diamondback based on an outstanding year on Cape Cod.

The bottom line is that numbers speak for themselves. The difference is that you don’t have to be the BEST in the league if you are in a D1 league. However, in D2 or D3, you’re going to need to be the best in the league or do something extra special (throw 95 mphs for example) to turn a scout’s head.

Check out my pitching website - www.lessismorepitching.com

Nice! It is awesome how even minor-leaguers use this site!

You have pros and cons about going D1. Can be the best 4 years of your life and so forth, but then again if you go big D1, UM, FSU, CAL State, Texas and plenty of others, most will ride your arm until it falls off.

After talking to some pro scouts about their opinions on D1, D2, JUCO (I’m trying to figure out where I’m going) and all that they said that this past year in the draft there was a lot of D2 pitchers taken before the D1. One scout put it this way, if you have 2 similar used cars, are you going to take one with a lots of miles or one with average miles?

All I can say is go somewhere that you make sure that you fit into. D1, D2, D3, JUCO, NAIA, no matter what division you go, your still gonna be playing college baseball!

[quote=“Southern Smoke”]One scout put it this way, if you have 2 similar used cars, are you going to take one with a lots of miles or one with average miles?
[/quote]

I would question this scouts analogy. The amount of throwing in college would almost better prepare you for pro ball since the amount of throwing in pro ball is so much more.

If the most innings you’ve throwin in college 40 innings when you’re in proball and you’re expected to throw 90 innings how are you going to deal with the dead arm you’re going to get around 60 innings.

Plus from what i’ve seen in my 4 years of college baseball lower level schools overuse their good pitchers and at the higher level the talent is so good you don’t have to worry if your #1 guy isn’t available.

When you say higher levels are you talking about in college or MLB? Either way I think there is a HUGE difference between your #1 and a #3 or 4. Thats why you have weekday and weekend starters and what not.

So you would take X pitcher in the draft over Y pitcher just because X threw more innings? And they have the same ability and stuff for the most part/

I’m talking about the collegiate levels.

Friday starters for D3 often are used in relief throughout the weekend. At the division I level most times the weekend starters there is a lot of parity.

In the draft if you give that analogy right there they are the same in everything possible except amount of innings pitched I would take the one thats pitched more because he has the experience of pitching more and the experience of what it takes to sustain your arm for longer seasons.

At the MLB level there is mostly parity among starters. For the most part every team has their “ACE” who stands out but the 2-4 guys are all similar in ability to win ball games.

At the collegiate level in regards to DI, at least in my conference the weekend starters are usually the 3 best pitchers who are the oldest.

On my team usually the 3 best pitchers who are the oldest are conference guys. If there is a freshman or sophomore who is as good as a senior or junior usually they get the weekday start and then relieve on the weekend.

At D3 schools where my friends play the school is able to get one pitcher who could pitch at the division I level and he gets overused more than anyone

I dont think D1 is overrated for what you guys have said exposure but in reality it wont matter once you graduate once your in rookie ball or whatever league you make it to its a brand new start its from there on out that you have to produce or your done lets say two players where drafted to the same organization one a D1 player one a D3 player the D1 was drafted significantly higher then the D3 but in the end the D3 outplays the D1 to take over his spot. Sure D1 will probally make it a bit easier to get drafted but you stil have to be good no matter where you go i know it may happen sometimes but they shouldnt just draft the people that went to the big schools but the people who are legit prospects.

Bottomline if you can pitch you will get noticed doesnt matter what level your at or what school if you dominate or pitch well you’ll get noticed.

Something about that statement just seems a bit naive to me. Pitchers get overlooked if there aren’t any scouts around to see them or nobody that has their ear and can point them toward you. The bigger programs have tons more exposure. You might get seen once in a smaller program and they may never be back around again. They hang around DI because they are starting their search at 90 mph plus and there are a ton of kids that can get there. Once you qualify with a better than average arm, then they’ll see what potential you have to get outs. And the quality of hitters you are facing MATTERS BIG TIME!.

That’s what I think. And if you go to camp as a mid or late draft pic, there is no way you are taking that first through third round picks spot. He’s going to get some many more chances than you that it will make your head spin.

I dont disagree with you going to a D1 program is obviously better if your looking to pursue your career i never really said it wasnt but to say just because your a 1st 2nd or 3rd rounder your not gonna get outperformed by the people drafted later is kinda off id have trouble telling that to Albert Pujols or Ian Kinsler drafted in the 13th and 17th round respectively. Sure often the people drafted early are studs and do pan out but theres always exceptions that make it into the bigs. Mark Buerhle if you remember has thrown a perfect game was drafted in the 38th round and another Mark Reynolds drafted in the 16th round D1 can deffinately help with exposure and deffinately help get you drafted if your in a winning program and producing but late round picks can flourish just as well.

And i dont doubt that the 1st rounders get so many more chances its only right they invested the big money into them but there not just gonna let there others fall through the cracks and it makes it even more important the chances you get as a late pick to dominate and thats when they can take over spots.

I understand your points…if you do get drafted and you are good enough…they will keep you as long as you perform. The first, 2nd or even third rounders will get more of a pass though for instance…

How bout Brad Lincoln??? He wouldn’t even be around if he were a mid or late draft pick. He just got sent back to AAA because he couldn’t cut it in the Pirates rotation. The Pirates??? :roll:

Lol ya thats kinda sad but theres always exceptions to everything you can tell when someone is going to be a star and there usually the first rounders but theres always a few who work there way up to become solid players from lesser schools and lower in the draft.