Developing Velocity (Open to responses)

I’d like to get advice on developing velocity but before I do I would like to give you background about myself and the reason I’m asking for advice.

This is in no means to brag

Well I’m a 24 5’8/5’9 LHP that had labrum surgery 7 years ago(Senior Year of High School). I played 4 years of college baseball but didn’t really see the field until my junior and senior year. My ERA is a 4 something and this is including summer baseball as well as college (My summer ball league is very competitive league. Best high school kids, d1-d3 players, ex pro players).

Basically I been getting better since entering college. Recently a sport agent asked me if I wanted try and play professionally (Every kids dream). Of course I did so he was able to get me a spring training invite to a team in the PECO league (Indy Ball).

Well I basically haven’t done any real baseball conditioning/training since last year. So when I first started to throw, I was very tight and to the point where stretching wasn’t going to get loose fast enough. I ended seeing my old surgeon and he helped me out by giving me muscle relaxers, cortisone shot, and a PT script to see my old PT. Also on a side note, I haven’t lifted consistently since last year

The PT is a top PT and p/rehabs minor leagues guys and guys like Ryan Vogelsong and also even Curt Schiling when he played. So ask you can guess this guy know his stuff

So I’ve been throwing and long tossing 3-5 times a week to get ready (My decision) and doing p/rehab from my PT 3-4 times a week.

Now yesterday, I was at PT and he pulls out a pocket radar (are they accurate) to see where I’m at velocity wise. To my disbelief I’m only at 73. I know I didn’t have a blazing fastball but I didn’t think I was that soft of a thrower. I guess this is where I’m starting to freak out because I live for spring training soon

My question to all of you out there is, what can I do to develop velocity or regain velocity if it’s even possible at my age? I would love to hear everyone opinion

Thank you

Side notes: My mechanics are changing a little bit, grip change a little bit, I’m not really in baseball shape I feel like, PT help write the Combat Pitcher.

hey im a lefty 6 1 210lbs doing a comeback , one thing you have to remember is that velocity will increase with flexibility and strenghtenning of your body. dont even bother worrying about velocity. thing will increase by itself. noone will fear your fastball if you dont believe in it. get out there and make sure your command is right and everything else will come with it. try yoga if you want to see dramatic leg and core strenghtenning + overall flexibility increasing.

Hey man thanks for the advice. I definitely look into yoga and feel that it’s very beneficial for a pitcher.

The arm does not give you power the stride does

Learn “The Secret”.
You must get your whole body involved in the process. I’ve seen too many pitchers throw with just the arm and the shoulder, and this leads to nothing but trouble and in all likelihood TJ surgery. I learned “The Secret” many moons ago by watching how the Yankees’ Big Three rotation did it, and I picked it up and started working on it on my own, with spectacular results. What those three pitchers did: they were all driving off the lower half of the body, using the legs, the hips and the torso in one continuous motion, thus creating a nonstop flow of energy all the way through the shoulder and arm to the fingertips, enabling them to throw harder and faster (even Eddie Lopat who was not a fireballer) with less effort. They knew, as few pitchers did, that the lower half is the real key to a pitcher’s power.
A good place to start is with the so-called “Hershiser” drill, which aims at getting the hips fully involved in the process. No special equipment is needed, just a fence or a wall. Once that link is established—the connection between the two halves of the body via the hips—you’ll be on your way.