Delivery Change = More armcare?

Background: So while growing up in Phoenix, AZ I’ve been throwing over the top to high 3/4 nearly all of my life. I was really successful throwing like that all through high school and even my freshman year of college where I received a scholarship to a D1 school. I’ve transferred twice and now the only effective- highly consistent pitching that I do now is from a low-sidearm/submarine style.

So my thoughts are that because my arm muscles aren’t used to throwing like this, I’ll need to pay even closer attention to my arm and get it in even better shape than it was throughout high school. My friends cousin (MLB pitcher Erasmo Ramirez) told me that he went through the same thing.

Anyone have any similar experiences?

Tell me something—what prompted you to change your arm slot as drastically as you did? I’d need to know more about those circumstances, and then I’d be better able to advise you. :slight_smile:

After high school throwing over the top became very inconsistent. It might have been the whole throwing harder phase to impress the college coaches thing. In high school I would rarely walk people and would have a higher strikeout ratio. I worked my tail off my freshman year to get the red shirt taken off and even get a D1 start. After that I transferred to a junior college and throwing over the top usually consisted of me burying the fastball in the dirt and throwing CH and BB for strikes. So then my first attempt to throw low-side/sub happened at my Juco (my idea not coaches) and they liked what they saw and I liked how it felt. No pain and early success. My first game like that I struck out two and then lost concentration. Then over the summer I really wanted to work back to where I was in high school to possibly start again and get back up to 85-89mph (im a LHP btw). I couldn’t get comfortable again throwin up there but I continued to try it into the fall at my D2 school. My first 2 weeks back at school i was hitting spots and everything else in the pen and then I lost command and started nailing the backstop and the grass infront of homeplate. So I went back to attempting to throw low-side arm and had early on success. I tried to bring it back over the top again and couldn’t locate without my arm feeling like it was restraining itself. So recently (2-3 weeks ago) I’ve started throwing low-side/sub again and have been doing really well in intersquads and whatnot. Without bouncing it and have been able to hit spots with 3 pitches. Last year my velo topped out at 85 from down there but this year my coach wants me to stay around 75+ because it moves more and whatnot. Even though I occasionally turn it up in the pen for myself.

Oh and I had somehow developed Tennis Elbow by pitching (probably happened last year before the summer) and found that if I wore the tennis elbow strap I could locate better throwing over the top than I would if I didn’t have that support on.

It sounds to me as if you’re still trying to find your natural arm slot. From what you tell me I suspect that you are really a sidearmer or somewhere close to it. I think that before you do anything else you should locate your natural motion and settle into it. I can tell you that the sidearm delivery is actually the easiest on the arm and shoulder, simply because when you throw that way your arm is parallel to the ground and you don’t have to perform any unnecessary machinations with your arm.
Good luck and have fun with it. 8)

What Zita said could certainly be the case. But I’m also wondering about something else. You’ve mentioned how, on those occasions when you struggled with control, you switched to sidearm/submarine. Did you not have a competent coach to work with you on your mechanics to fix what might have been causing your control problems? It sounds like instead of fixing the problems you avoided them instead. Am I reading this correctly?

Well I’ve worked on mechanics all growing up and what not with scouts and mlb players. I’ve done the whole video analysis and know what things I would need to do but I would have to agree with the whole ‘pitching coach’ thing. I went back home to AZ and told the people I train with mechanics wise what the pitching coach has us doing out here and they laugh and say that you should never practice bad habits (like opening up and forcing a change-up to be thrown inside and whatnot). But I know the only way that I can pitch this season is by throwing that way or else the coaches won’t work with me or give me the opportunity in a game. I know this because the coaches don’t have a clue what could cause this and I dont blame them but probably a lack of experience and knowledge of thinking outside of their set pitching philosophies.

This is unfortunately a quite common reality. :frowning:

:shock: :shock: :shock:

What part of the valley are you in?

Well right now im at school in Tennessee but when I go back home in May I live (and grew up in) Avondale (west phoenix).